Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm very bummed about Seeger. He was one of the true folk / traditional music masters still around. Seeing him participate in protests while in his fuckin' 90s is still one the coolest things I've see seen.

I've got his rendition of "Deep Blue Sea" running all through my brain right now.

R.I.P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The new 20th anniversary release of No Depression is out. Remastered version of the original plus an entire disc of their EP stuff that came out before ND.

I'm listening to that second disc now, it's great stuff.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

nate fisher posted:

Shooter Jennings and Hank III - I love the hell out of both of them, and while I've seen Shooter live I still need to catch Hank's live show.

If you like Hank III, make sure you check out Wayne Hancock. Wayne laid down a lot of the foundation of Hank III's country sound, fusing classic Hank Williams with modern production. Thunderstorms & Neon Signs is probably his best, but I love Tulsa too.

EDIT: Oh, and if you like Steve Earle you owe it to yourself to listen to Townes van Zandt. Live at the Old Quarter is, for my money, the best country/folk/whatever album of all time.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 17, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I've been listening to the new album Metamodern Sounds in Country Music by Sturgill Simpson. It's really great; he has this voice that's a dead ringer for Waylon Jennings or Merle Haggard but with trippy, almost psychedelic lyrics.

If you like outlaw or classic country check it out, it's on spotify.

EDIT: here's a song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWx6csgGkg4

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 16, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'll disagree and say After the Gold Rush. Harvest is his most well known, but parts of it have aged really poorly.

After the Gold Rush is all killer, no filler.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

nate fisher posted:

I'm going to assume you are new to this music overall. Let me throw a bunch of names, and see what sticks for you:

- Steve Earle (I would start with Train a Comin' or El Corazon)
- Hank III (Straight to Hell is his best)
- Shooter Jennings
- Hackensaw Boys (good modern Bluegrass)
- OCMS
- The Avett Brothers (stick to their early stuff)
- Drive-By Truckers
- Sturgill Simpson
- Townes Van Zandt
- the soundtrack to Broken Circle Breakdown
- Levon Helm
- Johnny Cash
- Iron & Wine (early stuff is the best too)
- Ray Lamontagne

These are a few names I have listened to over the years besides who you mentioned. They all are different sub-genres, but you may find something you like.

This is a good list, just let me add:

- Willie Nelson (check out Phases and Stages)
- Gram Parsons (especially the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo)
- Jerry Jeff Walker

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Paper With Lines posted:

The new Punch Brothers album really loving owns.

I've been hearing this. Where do I start with them?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If anyone lives in the Milwaukee area, you can get great reserved seating tickets to see Punch Brothers (6/26) for $5 each right now.

Here's the skinny:

1. Download the Summerfest app
2. Claim the free weekday entry ticket
3. Go to Ticketmaster and find the Punch Brothers 6/26 show at the BMO Harris Pavilion
4. Get up to 4 tickets, $5 service charge per.

I just did all of the above and snagged row 8 on one of the sides so there's still probably a ton available.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah I wasn't super impressed with Iron & Wine either. I feel like if you're playing music that delicate you need to elevate your performance or visuals to make it worthwhile.

The current Sufjan Stevens tour is a good example of how to create a large-crowd atmosphere around quiet and introspective music.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

User Error posted:

I caught The Devil Makes Three at a hippy music festival last year, then saw them in St Louis this spring. I dunno if they're country or bluegrass or rockabilly but I dig em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aRuN0DY41s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vedgTokXj04

They're currently touring with Old Crow Medicine Show and I'm kinda pissed that they aren't coming to town this time.

Yeah I like them a lot. I randomly picked up some of their CDs based on the cover art alone and wasn't disappointed.

Texibus posted:

Anyone got some good recommendations for getting started in Bluegrass? Other than Bill Monroe.

Look up the album "Live at the Birchmere" by the Johnson Mountain Boys. Probably my favorite bluegrass disc all time.

Smithsonian Folkways also has a number of great complications called Classic Bluegrass that collect great early stuff. Some are in my monster Folkways playlist by you'll have to ctrl+f to sort out all of the non-Bluegrass stuff:

http://open.spotify.com/user/1212113832/playlist/0BWzwnaWpkmpYMzXTyK4ly

Also I like:

- "Been All Around This World" and "The Pizza Tapes" by Jerry Garcia and David Grisman

- Any good Flatt & Scruggs compilation

- "The Long Journey Home" by the Kentucky Colonels

- Any good Doc Watson compilation

- "Crossing the Tracks", and a whole bunch of others by Belá Fleck

- "Antifogmatic" "Who's Feeling Young Now", and "The Phosphorescent Blues" by Punch Brothers.

The Belá Fleck and Punch Brothers stuff is more modern/progressive leaning.

drat I love me some good 'grass.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 5, 2015

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Paper With Lines posted:

I know we usually aren't too keen on super mainstream country, but the new Kacey Musgraves album is really solid. She still has a corny single or two (like biscuits) but they still are fairly satisfying to listen to and are surrounded by some good tracks about her not giving a gently caress about the bitches, etc.

Now that I think of it, she is kind of like the anti T-swizzle.

I like it a lot. It evokes Dolly Parton in the same way that Sturgill Simpson evokes Waylon Jennings.

And the Willie Nelson duet is just about the sweetest thing I've ever heard.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 3, 2015

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

clutchpuck posted:

Can confirm: new boots is no good if you don't like radio country.

The "discover weekly" has been good to me.

I keep a couple playlists

Outlaw stuff https://open.spotify.com/user/121571918/playlist/0ZewDAiXlQ14UCIwGyqhpf
Country and western and etc https://open.spotify.com/user/121571918/playlist/5io3hQqsO5LXFmcXI4V6HK

Thank for these, especially the second one. Here is my Outlaw Playlist if you're ever looking for more:

https://open.spotify.com/user/1212113832/playlist/6VVEVOFAjGojJooWMTzVfl

Unrelated, but the new David Rawlings Machine album is great.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm really happy I got to see Sturgill in a small venue before he blew up, he's really going places. When I saw him in Chicago last time, it was in a ~700 capacity club. A year and a half later he's playing a 2,500 capacity theater.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I like the cover. I feel like people just hold up Nirvana so much that no matter how it sounded people would poo poo on it.

Sturgill's cover of The Promise is way better though

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I've been watching the movie a lot lately, and I think the Heartworn Highways soundtrack might be the best track-for-track country album of all time.

I mean look at this song list

L.A. Free - Guy Clark
Ohoopee River Bottomland - Larry Jon Wilson
That Old Time Feeling - Guy Clark
Waiting Around To Die - Townes Van Zandt
I Still Sing The Old Songs - David Allan Coe
Desperadoes Waiting For A Train - Guy Clark
Bluebird Wine - Rodney Crowell
Alabama Highway - Steve Young
Pancho And Lefty - Townes Van Zandt
Texas Cookin' - Guy Clark
The Black Label Blues - Gamble Rogers
River - David Allan Coe
One For The One - John Hiatt
Darlin' Commit Me - Steve Earle
Ballard Of Lavern & Captain Flint - Guy Clark
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Steve Young & Friends
The Mercenary Song - Steve Earle & Friends
Elijah's Church - Steve Earle & Friends
Silent Night - Full Group

Most of the versions of the songs on the soundtrack are better than their respective album cuts, to boot.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Finally listened to American Band.

I really like all the Hood songs, the Cooley stuff not as much. I feel like Hood's voice and material work much better with that tone of post-anger defeat and sadness that permeates the album.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

plz dont pull out posted:

If I wanted to start checking out Willie Nelson where should I start?

EDIT: Merle Haggard too while I'm asking

Willie:
Shotgun Willie
Phases and Stages
Stardust

Merle:
Mama Tried
Sing Me Back Home
Pride in What I Am

All six are near-perfect albums. Some folks will tell you to start with Red Headed Stranger for Willie, but I don't think it's a great representation of what he does so well.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

El Jebus posted:

Is there anything where Emmy Lou sings backup/harmony that isn't really good? It hasn't all been amazing, but I can't think of anything she has been a part of that I didn't enjoy.

She is the greatest backup vocalist of all time.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I was in Muscle Shoals a few days ago. FAME studios has the handwritten lyrics to "Outfit" and "Decoration Day" on the walls.

Muscle Shoals Sound Studios was closed for a session, so I wasn't able to do their tour - but they gave me free passes to the Alabama Music Hall of Fame and a bunch of merch for the inconvenience. So also enjoy this dope Bocephus statue exploding out of a wall

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

qkkl posted:

Is there a name for the sub-genre of country music that is guys singing about being good ole country boys, drinking beer, having fun, and being lazy?

country music

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

safely sodomized posted:

folks i need an extremely lovely country song about getting drunk on a plane stat, what genre is that

Here is an extremely non-lovely song on the subject

https://youtu.be/DQWCPbxcA1I

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dr.Caligari posted:

I don’t know if there are many David Allan Coe fans, but the rare, Requiem For A Harlequin has been released on Spotify and ITunes for the first time

While I’m here, here are some of my favorite deep cuts.

Crazy Mary

Now I Lay Me Down To Cheat

Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile
She Used To Love Me A Lot

A controversial figure for sure,
in large part from people releasing bootlegs that bundled some of his songs released with noted POS, Johnny Rebel.

David Allan Coes influence on country music, from being the ‘original’ Rhinestone Cowboy, to his legendary song writing (Take This Job And Shove It, Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile, Would You Lay With Me) to his (arguably) causing journalist to coin the term ‘outlaw country’ when a photo captured DAC concealed carrying a gun on state... while he was wearing his Outlaws MC vest. His contributions can’t be denied, but remains maybe the least known of the ‘outlaw’ country musicians, albeit because of his difficult temperament and ‘do what I want’ attitude... but then again, what is more Outlaw than that

David Allan Coe is the poo poo, his parts of Heartworn Highways are great.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
gently caress ‘im. The best Ryan Adams song was co-written by Dave Rawlings anyway. Better version of it is on the Rawlings record too.

There are certain people that, when you hear they’re abusers your reaction is “yeah I could totally see that.” as opposed to shock. Adams is one of those.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Wow, Sturgill Simpson is playing basketball arenas and such on his tour. Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Happy Hippo posted:

I remember when Isbell was just the fat kid in the Drive-By Truckers. He's done quite well for himself.

I mean the fat kid in the Drive-By Truckers also wrote some of the Drive-By Truckers best songs. Outfit, Decoration Day, Goddamn Lonely Love - those still rank among my favorite Isbell tunes