Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Not sure if this is the thread for it, but is anyone planning on going to Strawberry Music Fest at Camp Mather in a little more than a week? Well, there is a big fire that just started nearby and could threaten the camp grounds.

If all goes well and the fire is put out, Del McCoury Band on Sunday night! Plus many others and lots of pickin' around the tents. If anyone else is going, small goon meet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Justin Townes Earle is also really good and plays some great music.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

So I gave it a few listens; the new OCMS album Remedy just loving blows.
I love this band, but their latest albums have been poo poo and this follows in the tradition.
If any of you guys are band members of OCMS I just want you to know that I think that you're personally very talented, but whoever is directing you is terrible. Why are you doing this?

The only song that I really didn't like from the last album was Genevieve. Are the newer songs like that?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Well, if anyone was hoping for a Civil Wars album in the future, say goodbye to those dreams. They have officially broken up and/or split up, whatever you want to believe.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Bonzo posted:

What was the deal with that? I've heard lots of rumors like he was in love with her to she doesn't want to have a huge career.

I don't know lots of the story behind it, but it was told to me that even though they were both married, the guitarist had a thing for her. She had her husband there with them almost all the time because he was their manager or something and the guitarist's family was back home in Tennessee or something and he hated that. That puts a lot of the blame on him, but I don't know if that is the reason the group split up. As far as I can tell, there were only rumors of them having a thing for each other (or one way). They both deny that was ever the case.

Until they spill the beans, who knows?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Gillian Welch is basically my favorite musician ever, so I probably undersold her. Time (the revelator) is her best album and probably the closest to Shady Grove (although not really that close in a lot of ways, but it's two acoustic guitars with great vocals playing haunting music).

Soul Journey has drums and some great songs.

Her first two records are a little more in the Americana/Appalachia idiom (with some country on the first record, too. That's a T-Bone Burnett album. Find the outtakes if you like it. Totally changes the feel).

Harrow and the harvest has one of her best songs, and some filler in my opinion. Really good, but not great.

And the Dave Rawlings Machine record is really great, so that one counts too.

There we go.

I just met Dave at Pappy and Harriets last weekend. Dude is super nice and friendly and I was happy he was willing to chat with me. I kept looking around for Gillian and John Paul Jones, but they weren't with him while he was checking out bands...

They are some of my favorite musicians there are right now.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

I've been hearing this. Where do I start with them?

Honestly, anywhere. Antifogmatic is my favorite of their albums due to having Rye Whiskey as a track, but everything Chris Thile and/or Noam Pikelny touches is magical. The same group also made Thile's How To Grow A Woman From The Ground which has a bunch of great covers.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone know you're best folk/bluegrass songs about drugs?

So far all I've got is "Codeine" by Trampled by Turtles, the obvious one.

Cocaine Blues performed by Townes is pretty awesome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f_MOwV2iWjw

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

One of Portland's radio stations has a Saturday bluegrass show and it is on until noon, when the Grateful Dead block starts. A family friend, Gareth, is the host today. Check it out! Be warned, it is pledge drive time so there are longer than usual breaks for begging.

Kboo.fm

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Where do you start with Nickel Creek? Cause I first heard of them in high school from my friends who were into Dave Matthews type poo poo and never checked them out cause I didn't trust their opinions and wasn't into this kind of music then anyway.

I'd say start with any but their most recent record, then listen to their most recent as it is a bit more eclectic.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

BigFactory posted:

It's good but after one listen I like Friend of a Friend better. The Weekend is pretty strong and I like Pilgrim. The middle kinda drags. Candy's one of those songs that's fine in concert but doesn't really need a studio version.

Not sure why they didn't try to put Knuckleball Catcher on this one. It would have fit perfectly into the back half and pulled the whole thing together. I think that's a good tune, but maybe they're saving it for Gill's next record, who knows.

But overall I like all the strings, kinda gives it an early Elton John vibe. Dave probably sings it as well as he can, the mix is ok but not what I'm used to with them.

This was my complaint, too. It seems like a collection of good songs rather than an album with anything to tie it together. Also feels really short, even though there is a 10 minute song and some other longer tunes. Maybe I was just expecting less on the technical genius side and more on the get friends together to play fun tunes side like I feel the last record was.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Can anyone speak about how they (Dave Rawlings Machine) are live? I am on the verge of picking up tickets for their November show in Knoxville.

Amazing. If you have a chance to go, go. I'm considering trying to see them in Santa Barbera next month and again in LA in January. Both over 2 hours away from me,

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Happy Hippo posted:

hahaha holy poo poo

What a loving guy. Dude doesn't give any fucks and his music is awesome. And I agree, wish Merle was here so we could hear what he thinks.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

kenny powerzzz posted:

Pancho and Lefty.

And this will help you transition to Townes if you haven't listened to him before.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Teatro is taut as a loving razor blade and has Emmylou on backing vocals.

Is there anything where Emmy Lou sings backup/harmony that isn't really good? It hasn't all been amazing, but I can't think of anything she has been a part of that I didn't enjoy.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

nm posted:

Checking in to say that if MP3s were like records, I'd have to buy another copy of Nashville Sound because I've played it so loving much.

If that was the case, I think the Spotify tracks would be unplayable at this point. This album is on point the entire time. Anxiety following If We Were Vampires just feels perfect.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

qkkl posted:

I forgot to mention I'm looking for country songs that aren't love songs. Is there a name for that genre, country songs that aren't love songs?

What you're looking for is "country music that isn't love songs".

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Loutre posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lsran_Slzc

Tyler Childers is insanely good y'all.

edit: please recommend me some more good modern country, i mostly listen to 60s and 70s country

Someone else mentioned Colter Wall earlier and if you want some drat good southern Americana from a 20-something Canadian, this is the guy.

https://youtu.be/qSYkikkitS0

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

XBenedict posted:

Here's the amazing earworm that I can't shake. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=968naSqNH98

I love it. But... I think I like the Willie Watson version a bit more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZJeR3vabBE

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Bill Posters posted:

New Sturgill Simpson album announced. As well as an anime film....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvT0rzUo4zc

Sturgill isn’t doing what I’d do if I had the money and talent to do it. He is making his own music, sans boundaries, and he is making his own 80s/90s Saturday morning cartoon but for himself now. gently caress yes. I’m in.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

I’ve seen Thile play at a few different points in his career and I’ve only ever been incredibly impressed.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Even when he plays solo Bach and other classical he still waves around like a crazy inflatable action arm guy.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

My brother recently introduced me to TK and the Holy Know Nothings and I am a fan. I really hope they come down to Pappy and Harriets some time so I can see em in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrcAK-gccc

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

It took me two full listens to appreciate Sound & Fury. I enjoyed everything else he'd done as country music, but Sound & Fury is just somethin else. Make Art Not Friends is just so drat enjoyable. Plus I love the thematic elements in the "movie".

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Bonzo posted:

I had a dream that Sturgill did a metal album.

He should do a metal album with just bluegrass/country musicians. Billy Strings would be up for it, I bet.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Or his SNL collab with Sturgill.

https://youtu.be/OKMZ-_t7w6A

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

I just came to post that. Sturgill is also talking about it but that's not really a surprise.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Gonna see Billy Strings tomorrow at Edgefield (near Portland OR) and Amanda Shires at Pappy and Harriet's this fall. Feeling pretty happy about my music choices right now.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

escape artist posted:

I'm just discovering Billy Strings and holy poo poo what a talent, what amazing music.

Seriously. He is something special. That whole group is amazing.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Final Blog Entry posted:

Just found out the Travelin' McCourys are coming to town in April and playing a tiny club with about 150 seats. Just grabbed 4 tickets to give me and some friends a table to ourselves. Also have Billy Strings tickets for about a week before that for my first time seeing him live. Love having some good shows to look forward to!

Ah, I saw the Traveling McCourys in a small room in Oregon some years back. Absolutely fantastic show. So drat good. Billy Strings is great, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Fantastic song and check out that flat picking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1-QU9yvGBk

That was pretty good! Solid technique. Listenin to her other stuff is good honky tonk, too.