Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr4CHFXXM-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYdPAjGYdmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrCqNMb1S7Y
To paraphrase, there is no such thing as an anti-drinking country song.

Letting the Possum live longer than most of us will is proof that God exists and is pretty dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The other day I found myself in a car playing the local country station. I heard Darius loving Rucker covering "Wagon Wheel".

I wanted to jump off a goddamn bridge.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Whatever happened to Blanche? I don't see anything suggesting they broke up but also nothing indicates they've done anything since Little Amber Bottles. I liked that they had the kinda gothic sound without going up their own rear end like 16 Horsepower did after Sackcloth 'n Ashes.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is "poo poo Shots Count" the first DBT song with horns or am I forgetting something?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Some of it at least is on Youtube.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It's really loving great. I don't know why it didn't grab me the first time I heard it a while ago but I'm all in after three or four spins. Not sure it has any one song that matches the best post-Isbell tracks ("Birthday Boy", "Checkout Time in Vegas" and "Daddy Needs a Drink", for my money) but I've forgotten probably half the tracks off The Big To-do and Go Go Boots and these are all sticking with me.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

Just wanted to say thank you to this thread. I'm primarily a metal guy , never listened to DBT before but decided to look them up on youtube. Heard "women without whiskey" and loved it, it's scratching an itch I never knew I had. Where should I start in their catalog?

Standard answer is Decoration Day and The Dirty South. Southern Rock Opera precedes those and was their breakthrough but doesn't click for a lot of people until they hear something else. After the "classic" lineup the produced DD and TDS dissolves, the clear highlights are Brighter than Creation's Dark and this week's English Oceans, though the other three post-Jason Isbell albums all have their moments. The pre-SRO albums are widely neglected but absolutely worth a spin once you've burnt through the rest.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

So Tom Hiddleston will be playing Hank Sr. in another attempt at a biopic. Maybe there can be a post-credits scene where the Avengers round up all the contemporary country artists who insist on namedropping Hank in all their songs while sounding like Bon Jovi hosed a Bass Pro Shop and like Thor just wails on Florida-Georgia Line with his hammer.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

III wanted McConaughey, which, OK like, twenty years ago. I mean he looks fine for 49 but he's loving 49.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There was a lovely vertical cell phone video, now deleted, of Tom Hiddleston singing "Move it on Over" at some thing this week. It wasn't like real bad but it sounded like we were seeing a weird transitional point in his preparation for the role -- like he'd worked at losing the British accent but hadn't actually gone as far as trying to actually sound like Hank. I can't imagine that's his finished Hank voice.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Didn't Gillian play drums a little on Big Iron World?
Yeah -- it was produced by David Rawlings. She also sings backup on most of The Decemberists' The King is Dead.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Patterson said on WTF that it was mostly his coke/alcohol issue. I think he put it that he offered Isbell a break from the band to pull his poo poo together, Isbell refused, and the next day he and Cooley decided they had to fire him. The "artistic differences" line was to let him save face (though I agree with the above that I really do prefer Isbell's sound from Decoration Day and The Dirty South, which he was already moving away from on A Blessing and a Curse, so it really was a plausible cover story). I think Isbell confirmed that account more or less on his own WTF episode. They're good interviews and I'm not really a WTF listener.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Where do you start with Nickel Creek? Cause I first heard of them in high school from my friends who were into Dave Matthews type poo poo and never checked them out cause I didn't trust their opinions and wasn't into this kind of music then anyway.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

New Drive-By Truckers track.
I am uh not really feeling this track. Maybe I need more time with it but if it was on English Oceans I think it would be one of the ones I barely remember.

Also I hate to say this and I am gritting my teeth as I type but while I get why that excites people on paper I liked DBT being exactly as political as they used to be, where it was there but they were always storytellers first, and am not super optimistic about the result of white dudes on the verge of 50 saying they are really inspired by To Pimp a Butterfly.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I like the idea behind the Truckers album but the first two songs I've heard have been pretty blah and don't grab me.
Yeah that's how I felt about the first one and I'm listening to the second now and it's exactly what I was afraid of from the description of the album posted on the last page. There's no storytelling; it's way too explicit. Like he's just reading a letter your mildly progressive aunt wrote to the local newspaper.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah, that mildly progressive aunt is a good description. Their political commentary has always been fantastic because it's been the side effect of telling a great story. It helps put you in the scenario and lets you see the bullshit first hand, coming to your own conclusions, and for the most part said story has always been surrounded by great music. These two tracks just kind of suck.
Yeah I'm wondering if the problem isn't that they decided to make a "political album" but that they decided to do so after they've aged out of having any edge.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Noticed there was a third track from the upcoming DBT album on Youtube, "Filthy and Fried". Not top-tier material but I think it's better than the first two I heard by a mile. Actually has a melody and it's full of detail, not just a polemic.

eta: Looking back at the last page for the release date (coming Friday) I noticed John Anderson chat -- I once interviewed him on his bus at a random-rear end county fair, had totally forgotten that happened. Super nice guy.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 28, 2016

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

So I'm finally getting around to giving "American Band" a full spin and just a few tracks in, my question is, who the gently caress picked those tracks to release before the album dropped? This is totally solid but I don't even feel bad about the way I was reacting earlier -- it's like they went out of their way to pick the least interesting songs to debut.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The songs in common: Waylon's versions on Honky Tonk Heroes or Billy Joe's on Old Five and Dimers Like Me? I'm not sure I can answer this in light of anything but which version I was more familiar with first but I would have to go with Billy Joe's on most of them.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bill Posters posted:

Blanche are/were quite good. They seem to be on indefinite hiatus now though.
I've been wondering what happened to Blanche for, I guess like a decade now? Love those two albums.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Not really relevant to anything but I gotta say "One of These Days" is both one of my favorite DBT songs and the biggest example of why I'm glad they learned to mix guitars better after their first two albums. The second verse is nearly inaudible.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Already familiar with Jim Sullivan's UFO?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

here's the absolute dumbest song i've ever heard and i hope you can click on it without seeing the titular lyric and let it hit you in real time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9lhjfbCJo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/CMT/status/1244355989006098432

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Good news!
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1244690311344988162

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I know I used to have MP3s of this show but can't find them anymore

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Somehow accidentally learned today that there is a Mandy Moore cover of "Willin'", and I'm just saying I do not believe her when she sings that she has driven every kind of rig that has ever been made. Linda Ronstadt however remains undefeated.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

nm posted:

There's a volume 2 coming.
Fun as gently caress record
That's great news cause I'm gonna need something to dislodge these from my head. I am the exact age to have heard all of these hundreds of times as a kid and then to have not thought about them for 25 years and it hits really hard.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A few years ago so might be old news to many but I just noticed the Kacey Musgraves remix/cover of "Neon Moon". If you told me Kacey Musgraves did a good cover of that song, I'd of course believe you. If you'd told me that it was sequencer pop that puts autotune on the Brooks & Dunn vocals as backup I might not have -- but it's good!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hey so me and this weird old guy from Canada are starting the worst tribute band of all time,

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Was doing a thing like a New Years' resolution except I forgot to start doing it until February where I try to actually listen to something I haven't heard before every day I have a chance -- new release by an artist I like, someone I've been meaning to explore further, something I know nothing about but just saw mentioned that day, something regarded as classic but I've never been interested in so I might as well give it a shot. Succeed about every other day, try to jot down a short note about each one.

Think I hit my favorite one of the year so far, following up on a song I liked in my most recent Discover Weekly: John Hartford. Started with Looks at Life, soon as that was done I went to Aereo-Plain and both were fantastic. I like a lot of stuff in that ballpark of the ~1970s country/folk/rock/psych nexus but rarely does anyone hit right on the mark in the sense of humor or melody like this did (Jim Sullivan is the other one that comes to mind). I have a hard time believing anyone who reads this thread couldn't find something to like if you're not already familiar so if your ears are free for 30-40 minutes stick one of those in there. Also, it's just cool that he wrote exactly one hit that was enough to live off of and make whatever he wanted for the rest of his life, which it seems like you can't really do anymore.

Off-thread topic but my least favorite of this experiment so far, one of the ones I was listening to for no reason other than it's famous and I'd never actually heard it: The Smiths, The Queen is Dead. Based on reputation I was totally prepared to begrudgingly concede that while he sucks, on occasion the guy can write a tune, but I had no use for any of that poo poo. Absolutely gently caress that guy.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That's terrible. The Judds were supposed to get inducted into the country music hall of Fame today too. RIP.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

In terms of things that make perfect sense but I would not have guessed existed, a Kacey Musgraves cover of Elton John's "Roy Rogers" is pretty high up there

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I got exposed to Cole Swindell's "She Had Me at Heads Carolina" and that is one of the most unexpectedly disorienting experiences I've ever had with music. An avant-garde salvo in song recycling technology.

We're maybe a year away from somebody just prefacing an otherwise unaltered original recording with "ooh and it goes like..." and releasing that as their own.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 8, 2023

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

new Zach Bryan/Kacey Musgraves track (fine, didn't blow me away?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVVvJjwzl6c

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I feel like it kinda goes in this thread but Jimmy Buffett died yesterday.
Posting up outside Margaritaville trying to figure out how to play a steel drum in a mournful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Doesn't need to be 78 minutes but I found plenty to like.