Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

CombineThresher posted:

I've always been fond of Slim Cessna's Auto Club; they've a fun mix of old country, revival music, bluegrass, and rural weirdness.

I think my favorite song of theirs is either "This Is How We Do Things In the Country"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJm2yEQo4aU

or "Limon"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogQjfJwabqA

The Auto Club are one of my favourite bands. They put on an amazing live show, too. 'Gothic Americana' is my favourite musical sub-genre, so here are a few other bands.

Jay Munly sings with Slim Cessna, and he also does a lot of independent projects:
Munly & the Lee Lewis Harlots - The Leavening of the Spit-Bread Girls
Munly & the Lupercalians - Ahmen

16 Horsepower are fantastic, a bit more folk-rock than country. They've also worked with Munly and Slim.
Black Soul Choir
Haw

O'Death were recommended to me recently in the same vein.
Lowtide
Black Dress

Those Poor Bastards
Sacrificial Lamb
The Dust Storm

Reverend Glasseye
Seventeen Lashes
One More Smoke

I'd love more recommendations for this style, and thanks to whoever suggested 'Graveyard Train' earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

kingturnip posted:

I came across Dead Soldiers on Bandcamp recently and liked their album enough to buy it.
Their own tags read: country gothic-americana alt-country americana bluegrass roots Memphis which I guess is a fair enough description, although I really like their use of electric guitars to beef the sound up at times.

These guys are fantastic! Thanks for sharing them.

If anyone's a fan of Slim Cessna's Auto Club, they're about to release a new retrospective album/their first live DVD, called SCAC 102: An Introduction For Young And Old Europe. They're awesome live, so I'm hoping the DVD shows that off.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’ve been all about some Slim Cessna’s Auto Club lately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCmZErK2lC0
They are so weird the more you listen to them. Very meta.

They're one of my favourite bands, and incredible live. If you live in the Denver area, go catch their New Year's concerts (2 nights at the Hi-Dive). Some year I'll get to go, but it's a long trip from Toronto.