Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
If you guys like Waylon Jennings you need to check out Whitey Morgan and the 78's. If they both debuted at the same time either one could have been bigger than the other.
http://youtu.be/1ZpJti-hj0U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

There was a lovely vertical cell phone video, now deleted, of Tom Hiddleston singing "Move it on Over" at some thing this week. It wasn't like real bad but it sounded like we were seeing a weird transitional point in his preparation for the role -- like he'd worked at losing the British accent but hadn't actually gone as far as trying to actually sound like Hank. I can't imagine that's his finished Hank voice.

It was horrible. And what rubbed me wrong was it was almost like a pop country poo poo singer would do. No timbre, no moan, and none of the high lonesome sound. When I hear Hank I hear loneliness. This guy had none of that.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

plz dont pull out posted:

If I wanted to start checking out Willie Nelson where should I start?

EDIT: Merle Haggard too while I'm asking

Pancho and Lefty.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Tias posted:

It's pretty dumb to complain about music and then not offer something I like, sorry:

I'm really into Hank 3( though he appears not to like flying, and so he probably won't come to scandinavia soon) and Joe Buck Yourself, whom I had the pleasure of listening to last year. He just rapped off his poo poo playing really fast, and using a drum pedal on his guitarcase for percussion, that owned.

Also, I grew up on Hank Williams I, which is probably the best thing ever :allears:

I live a few hours from him and haven't caught a Hank 3 show in a long time. He has had to relocate and has been on a break for almost 2 years I think. I like all his stuff but the last two albums aren't my favorite, brotherhood being the worst for me.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Tias posted:

If you ever see him, could you tell him there's a bunch of goons in Denmark who really, really love his poo poo and he should come play?

Haha I'm sure I'll see him when he starts doing shows again and actually he's surprisingly easy to talk to. Pretty much if you wait around after the show you can get a picture and autograph and a few words in.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
And Dac is still out there doing it. You can catch him for free almost every night at Daytona bike week.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Whitey Morgan and the 78’s live album has that fantastic Hammond organ all over it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Still in Saigon which was on Windows is about where I’d say that line is. I don’t think that album as a whole is that great but that song is pretty important to them/him.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

MrBling posted:

I came across Whitey Morgan and the 78's today and it somehow yet another guy that sounds like Waylon.

Didn't have time to do a deep dive, but I liked what I heard.

They have a great catalog of work and they’re awesome live. Don’t miss out on the acoustic album Whitey did solo. It’s not my favorite album but still is one you don’t want to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I can’t believe I didn’t think to share this here. Whitey is live playing Waylon. https://youtu.be/RClLT7UDneg