Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whoscookinbacon
Apr 4, 2011

jammiesjammer posted:

Any bands or musicians like or similar to sound to Will Oldham/Bonnie Prince Billy yall can reccommend?

Dunno if you got any answers, but I would say DOUG PAISLEY (actually toured with Will very early in Doug's career.) His most recent release on a label is called Say What You Like, produced by the main guy in Bahamas. Most of Doug's stuff is very trad and earthy but the production choices make it sound like Don Williams (!) in the 80s. He has 4 prior to that, all at least great. But you can also find a self-released covers album he put out at the start at this year called Sad Old World. Dude can write, dude can play, dude can sing.

Dunno if you know about THE ANOMOANON but it's Will's brother Ned, who's played with Will here and there (Viva Last Blues era IIRC) and then he went off and did Anomoanon. The two albums I have from them are Asleep Many Years in the Wood, which will whet your whistle for Oldham/Bonnie Billy type songwriting, or Joji, which is far more jammy/Grateful Dead type stuff.

Dunno if it's a direct comparison but I like THE ASHTRAY HEARTS, who mix the Oldham melancholy with Replacements/Westerberg snark and snarl (they do rep Twin Cities, so no shock.) I just flipped the local big city's library cutouts and found a CD by THE CAIRO GANG who co-collabed with Bonnie on an album a ways back. I haven't heard it yet, but it's on Drag City, so I suspect I will like it just fine.

For more, er, abstract, more odd vein of his artistry, check out NIMROD WORKMAN's I Want to Go Where Things Are Beautiful, a double dozen or so of home recordings Mike Seeger did in the early 80s when Nimrod was in his 80s. It's all a capella, and sounds equally as haunting as it sounds haunted. I wouldn't play it everyday but it hits me profoundly when I do.

Hope any of that works for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU