Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Count Chocula posted:

Dwight Yoakam just announced an Australian tour. Hadn't heard him before an hour ago and I'm literally tapping my feet at my desk. Honky Tonk Man, This Drinking Will Kill Me, Streets of Bakersfield... drat this is good stuff.

Dwight Yoakam's great stuff, actually. There's no denying that he's doing contemporary country music, but his music just feels authentic, where a lot of pop country doesn't at all. His album "Gone" is really worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I've never really given drive by truckers a chance 'cause I figured they were like the country version of the Dead Milkmen or Big D and the Kids table or something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Can anyone give me some recommendations for modern folk from the past decade or so? Right now I'm mostly listening to Bright Eyes and Laura Stevenson. I'm also starting to get into folk-punk. I like the early Against Me! records and I have an Andrew Jackson Jihad album I'll probably listen to later this morning.

I'll go weeks without listening to anything except Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings. There's 5 Gillian Welch albums, 1 Dave Rawlings album, and their shows are taped pretty often and not hard to find. That should keep you going for a while.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Can you really say any death of natural causes at 94 is tragic? Geez. RIP Pete.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bonzo posted:

I had the pleasure of seeing Pharis & Jason Romero in concert last night.

If you are into Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings you need to check these guys out. Jason even makes his own banjos.

Well that's really going after a specific sound, isn't it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

cemaphonic posted:

I just got back from seeing David Rawlings Machine, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. The current lineup includes Willie Watson from OCMS, and John Paul Jones, who I understand was in some sort of blues covers band back in the 70s. They played most of the songs off of "A Friend of a Friend" surprisingly few Gillian Welch songs, and so many covers. Watson's voice harmonizes really well with Gillian and David, and he even took center stage for a few songs. Meanwhile, Jones hung back the whole show trading mandolin licks with Rawlings, and when they started playing "Going To California" the whole audience lost their poo poo. (They snuck a few other Zeppelin riffs into the instrumental breaks of other songs too).

If any of you West Coasters can still make it to one of their remaining dates, do so.

I saw them a few years ago (pre-JPJ) and it was loving great. They were all on something, it was in a tiny hall, crowd was great. I wish they'd tour up north more.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Hey guys, I really dig Shady Grove and anything else that Garcia/Grisman did together. Anybody got any reccomendations for similar stuff?

Have you listened to Dave Grisman's other stuff? There's a lot of it. If you need vocals, it's probably not your thing. Most of it is "newgrass" in sort of the same niche as Bela Fleck (minus the electric instruments). Composed, jazzy instrumental pieces based around bluegrass instruments.

I think the DGQ20 boxed set is a good place to start. Don't know if it's in print or not.

If you like that stuff, try some of Edgar Meyer's projects. Composed classical music with more than a toe in bluegrass/americana. The one with Bela Fleck and Mike Marshall is more uptempo.

If you do need vocals, have you listened to Punch Brothers? If not, what's wrong with you?

Gillian Welch, too, obviously.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

I do like vocals but I don't need them to be there to enjoy it! I'll check all these out, thanks!

Gillian Welch is basically my favorite musician ever, so I probably undersold her. Time (the revelator) is her best album and probably the closest to Shady Grove (although not really that close in a lot of ways, but it's two acoustic guitars with great vocals playing haunting music).

Soul Journey has drums and some great songs.

Her first two records are a little more in the Americana/Appalachia idiom (with some country on the first record, too. That's a T-Bone Burnett album. Find the outtakes if you like it. Totally changes the feel).

Harrow and the harvest has one of her best songs, and some filler in my opinion. Really good, but not great.

And the Dave Rawlings Machine record is really great, so that one counts too.

There we go.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's cool. He seems like a good dude. And I don't think it comes across on records, but in concert he plays like Jerry a little bit. He's a super talent.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Didn't Gillian play drums a little on Big Iron World?

She played drums on Soul Journey.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Dwight Yoakam had 3 top-5 hits in 1993.

Ok, just double checked to make sure these songs hold up, and yeah, they're good. Thousand Miles From Nowhere is real good. #2 on the US country charts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLprAUar11U

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 18, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

tirinal posted:

Just bought tickets to the Folks Festival in CO this August.

Gillian Welch. :love:

Can you tell her to please tour the northeast more. Thanks. It must be hard as gently caress to sell tickets here or something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
He should do it. Good exposure.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't know who any of those people are.

Edit: that's not true, I know Lee Ann Womack.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ohvee posted:

The cover of the new Dave Rawlings Machine album makes it look like Willie Watson is a tiny person.

(it's a good album)

It's good but after one listen I like Friend of a Friend better. The Weekend is pretty strong and I like Pilgrim. The middle kinda drags. Candy's one of those songs that's fine in concert but doesn't really need a studio version.

Not sure why they didn't try to put Knuckleball Catcher on this one. It would have fit perfectly into the back half and pulled the whole thing together. I think that's a good tune, but maybe they're saving it for Gill's next record, who knows.

But overall I like all the strings, kinda gives it an early Elton John vibe. Dave probably sings it as well as he can, the mix is ok but not what I'm used to with them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

El Jebus posted:

This was my complaint, too. It seems like a collection of good songs rather than an album with anything to tie it together. Also feels really short, even though there is a 10 minute song and some other longer tunes. Maybe I was just expecting less on the technical genius side and more on the get friends together to play fun tunes side like I feel the last record was.

Yeah, it might grow on me. I wasn't over the moon for Harrow & Harvest at first either, but it picked up after a few listens.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

nate fisher posted:

Can anyone speak about how they (Dave Rawlings Machine) are live? I am on the verge of picking up tickets for their November show in Knoxville.

Real loving awesome.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
So here's my take on Nashville Obsolete after a few more listens:

The Weekend and Pilgrim are both real solid songs, so at least it's got a good start and finish. Short Haired Women Blues is pretty good too. Not amazing, but pretty good.

The Trip is almost a great song. I think it could have been great if it was Gillian's song. The spoken word stuff seems forced and almost a parody, and even though the lines where he starts out talking and finishes singing work, it would have been better just to have Gill sing lead on the whole thing. And by the time they're singing everything towards the end it's really just a slightly downtempo Desolation Row with different (not as good) lyrics. But it's still one of the highlights of the record. I guess if you're going to rip off a song, Desolation Row is as good as any.

Bodysnatchers and Last Pharaoh are forgettable. Candy doesn't have any of the punch or timing that makes it fun in concert. Needs an audience.

And that's it. If they put Knuckleball Catcher in after Last Pharaoh (and maybe instead of Candy) it might have fixed some of the problems. I give it a B.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bonzo posted:

Country music was in an odd state back then. Most of your big stars like Cash, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, etc. were putting out albums but got zero airplay. They had some luck showing up on various TNN shows but that was about it.

Then in 1995 Shania Twain 2nd album drops and that was the end of that.

Joshua Judges Ruth came out in 92. There was interesting stuff going on then.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

me your dad posted:

Terrible. I stopped it about 3/4 through. I won't be listening to that again if I can help it.

Video: neat? Song: hilarious.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't think I've ever heard him before, but that is one generic "country singer" voice. Sounds like the parody country song from Team America.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
79's a pretty good life for a guy with some hard miles. I saw him back in 2004 with Dylan. Real good. He was a pro.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Neither of those bands are really bluegrass though? They're country bands.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Teatro is the best Willie Nelson album and spirit is pretty good too

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Has anyone picked up the new Gillian Welch? I didn't even know it came out. Guess I haven't been listening to NPR enough. Just wondering if there's anything amazing on it. I think I have most of those songs already.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Why not? What else would you be doing that night?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Gillian Welch is putting out (a remastered?) Harrow & the Harvest on wax if that's your thing. Pre-order from Acony or Amazon. Ships in July.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's weird that on a cover they played so straight they didn't do the high harmony in the chorus. Felt very absent.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

nate fisher posted:

Speaking of Colorado bands I did see Yonder Mountain String Band at the end of last year. I didn't know a single song by them, but I love bluegrass. Well the first 2 songs went well, but after that I felt like I was listening to what can be best described as pop-jamgrass. I am no traditionalist when it comes to bluegrass, but I realized I hated it. The pop had no soul, and I found the jamgrass boring most of the time. It is my fault. When I saw what look like a bunch of deadheads around me I should of known (while I like some Old and in the Way, I hate the Dead and Phish). I hate jam bands. Funny cause I love Pink Floyd. While not a jam band, they had super long songs at times (Echos, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, etc.) that I love and never find boring.

Morale of the story? Make sure you check out a band before seeing them. I usually do unless at a festival, but I broke that rule with Yonder. It was the first show I ever left early (I did give them over 90 minutes).

They're really bad.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Old and In The Way was his bluegrass band with David Grisman and Peter Rowan, but I wouldn't call them particularly psychadelic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Shady grove would be my go to for Garcia/grisman folky stuff

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That reminds me of the theme song to the sopranos.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Bobbie Nelson plays the organ sometimes but I'm having a hard time thinking of a song it's featured on prominently.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

My buddy just randomly texted me "What Bob Dylan album should I start with?" after years of disinterest in him.

I told him Blonde on Blonde or Bringing It All Back Home, but I just feel like there's no right answer with Dylan's overwhelming catalog.

Or highway 61 or freewheelin but that’s pretty much the right answer.

Or maybe desire if they are going into it thinking they don’t like Dylan.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ranter posted:

If you could travel anywhere in the USA to see Sturgill, which city/venue would you pick?

edit: have some aussie country folk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfvlGFVKZw0

The gorge is the coolest venue he’s playing, but Asheville or Austin are the coolest cities.

Edit: Nashville is also a fun town especially if you don’t get run over by a bachelorette party in a pedal tavern or a drunk on an electric scooter.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 21, 2019

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This sucks guys

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

vote_no posted:

Speaking of which -- and I may have missed the discussion on this -- how about Murder Most Foul? I didn't think Dylan had anything left that could floor me, but then, here in 2020 and fifty-eight years after his first album... he does. I'm not sure I've heard anything that so well captures the importance of music as solace in times of tragedy.

It sounded like another one of those bad self parodies for the first few verses but it sucked me in halfway and I found it very emotional by the end. Not an all time classic but it’s got something special going on. His piano playing is great too, and I love hearing tony use a bow.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

20 Blunts posted:

The lyrics are one thing, but the musicianship on these two new tracks is pretty interesting. its like if Godspeed You Black Emperor played a standard I-IV-V kinda progression - its drawn out and ambient to back Dylan's near-spoken word delivery, and so the way those old familiar chords resolve has a new feel to it.

the lyrical content of these new tracks reminds me of somebody Dylan is a big fan of - John Trudell. He has a song called "Baby Boom Che" that I think serves as a nice companion to the train of thought Dylan is on with "Murder Most Foul."

Judge for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yL7XvWDGVM ...Has some excellent twang guitar if lyrics don't interest you, via Jesse Ed Davis

They both sound like they could be oh mercy outtakes to me, especially I contain multitudes. Which is nice to see him dipping back in that well I supposed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

20 Blunts posted:

new Dylan! with album announcement that is new news I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QPBpFAKTGo

been listening to a lot of Tom Waits this week, so this goes great i think

That’s really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The new Dylan is so good it’s stupid. It’s weird in the same ways tempest was weird but weirder.