Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been on a pretty huge folk/alt-country kick for awhile and love finding new bands. I've been trolling through this thread all week and found some great new stuff in here. I'm also glad to see some Old 97's fans in here too! They've been my favorite band for a good number of years now, through the alt-country and their pop phase.

Figured I'd share a few bands I've been loving here as late, maybe spur some further recommendations.

Some of these bands I've seen in here, but maybe not these songs!

Chuck Ragan - Valentine

Dudes voice is righteous. Has some really great storytelling in his songs too.

Lydia Loveless - To Love Somebody

Discovered Lydia Loveless by finding out she'll be opening for the Old 97's here in Indianapolis. Had never heard of her, so figured I'd check it out so I was familiar for the show, turns out here newest albums "Somewhere Else" is really great. To Love Somebody stands out to me, she's got a bit of a Stevie Nicks vibe going I like to think.

Deer Tick - Ashamed

I love the story telling going on in Deer Tick. There's a bunch of albums too and it's fun to watch them experiment with their sound over time. War Elephant's my personal fave.

Audra Mae - Snake Bite

I found Audra Mae, by looking up who sang backup vocals on Chuck Ragan's Valentine on the album cut. Found her name, looked her up on spotify and was blown away! Her voice is super soulful. Audra Mae and the Almighty Sound is a good place to start.

The Tallest Man on Earth - Love is All

This guy's great. He's a great guitar player and has a great voice to go with it. Watching him play solo on Jools Holland's pretty great. He's got a lot of full shows on Youtube too. Also a really good storyteller. (Can't you tell I like storytellers?)

So, there ya go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

sudont posted:

If you like Deer Tick and storytelling, check out Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons, another (former) Providence, RI act. Joe tells a good story through his songwriting.

Thanks for that, he's pretty great!

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I can't remember if I'm square or not for liking Wilco and considering it alt-country! :angel:

However, NPR just posted a new Tiny Desk video of Tweedy, Jeff Tweedy and his son's new band. It's not bad!

http://www.npr.org/event/music/350594224/tweedy-tiny-desk-concert?autoplay=true