Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Funny you should mention Justin Townes Earle, OP. I just met him the other day.

Everyone go check out the first three Son Volt records right now. They are masterpieces of American music, god drat it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Ambitious Spider posted:

I just started getting into DBT. I've only heard Brighter than creation's dark so far.They have quite the discography and I haven't felt this overwhelmed getting into a band since I started listening to Tom Waits.

I would start with "Decoration Day" then "The Dirty South". Those two records are flawless victories.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

Has anyone heard the new Patterson Hood solo album yet? Uncut loved it, and I can't imagine he'd suddenly turn bad after leaving the DBTs. I can't wait to pick it up. It comes out on 9/11, same day as Dylan's newest.

Hood has not left the DBTs. Hell, this is his third solo record. Cooley has one in the works too. I haven't heard the album proper but I saw him live back in April and he played some tracks from it and they were pretty good.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Colonel Xonik posted:

Seconding Ryan Adams. Also, Steve Earle is brilliant and puts on a hell of a live show.

Funny you mention Steve Earle, I saw him just a couple of hours ago (I live in Nashville).

And yes, he is awesome. Y'all check out Transcendental Blues.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Despite loving blues and some old outlaw country stuff I never really got the whole "alt country/country rock" thing. I recently started a new job somewhere and my boss got me into Drive By Truckers by giving me a few albums (Southern Rock Opera and Dirty South). This is now my new favorite band. I love how they are basically a mix of classic outlaw country with a southern rock flair and the downtuned guitars add a real grittiness to the twang.

I could listen to Mike Cooley play that rickety rear end guitar all day. I haven't been this into a band in forever.

Welcome aboard! If you dog those records then by all means check out Decoration Day and Brighter Than Creation's Dark.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've got tickets to see Drive-By Truckers next weekend and I can't loving wait.

I'm curious to hear what their live sound is like now that they are down to just two guitars. I've seen them many many times but the last couple of times were somewhat subpar because they added a keyboard player in addition to already having three guitars and their live sound was just an impenetrable wall of noise.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

They aren't down to two guitars. Jay Gonzales (the completely awesome keyboard player they added) splits his time between guitar and keys now--sometimes playing both on the same song.

Ah, that's good to hear. I thought they were at their best live when Isbell switched up between guitar and keys. Three guitars plus keys is just too much with them.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I've never really given drive by truckers a chance 'cause I figured they were like the country version of the Dead Milkmen or Big D and the Kids table or something.

This is so far off but I can see how you'd think that once you've seen those two album covers. I'm of a mind that the Truckers came into their own on Southern Rock Opera and that those first two records where mainly gimmick-country music. Mainly.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Eem posted:

Dunno if anyone here has heard it, but the new DBT record is the best they've made since Brighter Than Creation's Dark, if not before that. Half Hood, half Cooley, tighter songs than they've written in years.

Has it leaked?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Is "poo poo Shots Count" the first DBT song with horns or am I forgetting something?

I think it must be, unless there's something on Go Go Boots that I'm forgetting (I only listened to it once or twice because it sort of sucks). So, did the new record leak or what?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The new DBT is half Cooley, half Patterson. And the record is really good.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 27, 2014

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

The new 20th anniversary release of No Depression is out. Remastered version of the original plus an entire disc of their EP stuff that came out before ND.

I'm listening to that second disc now, it's great stuff.

I streamed it the other day and was fairly impressed by that second disc. Certainly worth picking up.

Also, I still have my original Uncle Tupelo CDs and had never heard the remastered stuff from 2003. They did a great job punching up their sound.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

He's been writing songs since he was 13 so it's really no surprise that a man in his 30s doesn't relate to that stuff.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Holy poo poo, I am loving this new Drive-By Truckers record.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

More people from outside Nashville should be listening to Birdcloud sing songs about their pussies.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Here's the flyer:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

I very much like Wilco (especially One Sunday Morning) and would like some similar sounding things

Wilco's Jeff Tweedy has a new record being released next month under the name "Tweedy" (his son plays drums on it and he plays almost everything else) and several tracks from it have been released already. You might dig that.

ninja edit; pre-order it and you get to download a new song a week until it gets released.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Parachute posted:

It's coming up on that time of year where I listen to Son Volt's "Trace" and "Straightaways" on repeat until August or so.

Those two records are nearly flawless (I'd remove some of side 2 on Straightaways but whatever) and I'd just go ahead and lump Wide Swing Tremolo in there too. I don't think I've ever been so obsessed with a band in my life as I was with Son Volt's original line-up. I've seen them many times and can't say that I've ever enjoyed myself more at a show. I used to buy tons of beer all at once, line them all up on stage right in front of Jay and just drink and sing along all night. I was so excited when they got back together and recorded one of Alejandro Escovedo's tunes and announced that they were going to reunite permanently. I can't tell you how crestfallen I was when that didn't happen. :smith:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Yes, Isbell is fantastic live.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Patterson Hood wrote a cool piece for the New York Times.

It's a shame that they don't play "The Southern Thing" more often. It's a great take on the whole situation, as is "The Three Great Alabama Icons" which follows it. I've always found it quite ironic that the same people I know who decry bigotry in the south tend to stereotype every white southerner as a bigot.

"Ya know racism is a worldwide problem and it's been since the beginning of recorded history... and it ain't just white and black... But thanks to George Wallace, it's always a little more convenient to play it with a Southern accent."

The Southern Thing is a barn burner of an album cut but lacks teeth when played live anyway, so no big loss there.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Patterson said on WTF that it was mostly his coke/alcohol issue. I think he put it that he offered Isbell a break from the band to pull his poo poo together, Isbell refused, and the next day he and Cooley decided they had to fire him. The "artistic differences" line was to let him save face (though I agree with the above that I really do prefer Isbell's sound from Decoration Day and The Dirty South, which he was already moving away from on A Blessing and a Curse, so it really was a plausible cover story). I think Isbell confirmed that account more or less on his own WTF episode. They're good interviews and I'm not really a WTF listener.

Just to add to this, the Truckers told him that he needed to take some time off the road, and that they were going to tour without him for a little while. Isbell said, "That's fine, as long as you call the band something other than Drive-By Truckers." Cooley's response was, "That's not going to work for us." and he was fired. Isbell has since stated that he was angry about it at the time but has since realized that that was an understandable move on the DBTs' part.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

El Jebus posted:

I'd say start with any but their most recent record, then listen to their most recent as it is a bit more eclectic.

So listen to their new one, and then move on to listening to it again?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

FWIW this one is about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Gohl - rumored to have killed over 100 sailors, convicted for two.

...but the article says he killed like 40 or so..?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I haven't listened to it yet but Sturgill Simpson is on the WTF podcast today.

Just listened to it today. Decent talk.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

that quoted post posted:

AMERICAN BAND follows ENGLISH OCEANS and 2015’s IT’S GREAT TO BE ALIVE!, marking the first time DBT have made three consecutive LPs with the same hard-traveling crew.

Um, no. DBT has, in fact, made three albums in a row with the same line-up before (Decoration Day, The Dirty South, A Blessing and a Curse). This line-up, however, has not. Unless you count the live album, which I don't because it's a live album.

edit; Oh yeah, Shonna didn't play much on DD, my mistake. Still, counting the live album is dumb.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

nate fisher posted:

So this happen last night in Knoxville

Don't miss them if they come to your town.

I live in Nashville and have several friends in common with Jasmin from Birdcloud (the young lady in the America pants with the other young lady's face in her crotch) and she's very friendly. Her solo stuff is quite good as well and sounds nothing like Birdcloud.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

hahaha holy poo poo

Sturgill Simpson on Facebook posted:

Many years back, much like Willie and Waylon had years before, Merle Haggard said,
"gently caress this town. I'm moving." and he left Nashville.
According to my sources, it was right after a record executive told him that "Kern River" was a bad song. In the last chapter of his career and his life, Nashville wouldn't call, play, or touch him. He felt forgotten and tossed aside. I always got a sense that he wanted one last hit..one last proper victory lap of his own, and we all know deserved it. Yet it never came. And now he's gone.
Im writing this because I want to go on record and say I find it utterly disgusting the way everybody on Music Row is coming up with any reason they can to hitch their wagon to his name while knowing full and drat well what he thought about them. If the ACM wants to actually celebrate the legacy and music of Merle Haggard, they should drop all the formulaic cannon fodder bullshit they've been pumping down rural America's throat for the last 30 years along with all the high school pageantry, meat parade award show bullshit and start dedicating their programs to more actual Country Music.
While Im venting about the unjust treatment of a bonafide American music legend, I should also add, if for no other reasons than sheer principal and to get the taste I've been choking back for months now out of my mouth, that Merle was supposed to be on the cover of Garden & Gun magazine's big Country Music issue (along with myself) a few months back.
They reached out to both of us in October of last year while I was on a west coast tour. Merle was home off the road so I took a day off and traveled up to Redding.
He was so excited about it and it goes without saying that I was completely beside myself along with my Grandfather who has always been a HUGE Merle fan. We spent the whole day of the interview visiting in his living room with our families and had a wonderful conversation with the journalist. Then we spent about two hours outside being photographed by a brilliant and highly respected photographer named David McClister until Merle had enough...he was still recovering from a recent bout of double pneumonia at the time and it was a bit cold that day on the ranch.
But then at the last minute, the magazine's editor put Chris Stapleton on the cover without telling anyone until they had already gone to print. Don't get me wrong, Chris had a great year and deserves a million magazine covers...but thats not the point.
Its about keeping your word and ethics.
Chris also knows this as he called me personally to express his disgust at the situation. Dude's a class act.
The editor later claimed in a completely bullshit email apology to both Merle's publicist and ours (Chris and I share the same publicist) that they didn't get any good shots that day.
David McClister..
2 hour shoot..
no good photos..
OK buddy,..whatever you say.
Anyway, Merle passed away right after it came out.
Some days, this town and this industry have a way of making we wish I could just go sit on Mars and build glass clocks.
Sturgill
UPDATED:
Shortly after I initially posted this it was announced that Miranda Lambert would be the award recipient.
Before people start chasing clickbait by putting words in my mouth I feel the need to clarify that I was not aware of this at the time of my original post and my words were in no way directed at her. I know that Merle liked and respected her so it's good to see there is at least some blue sky in all of this.
I don't know Miranda nor have I ever met her but something tells me that in her heart, she knows I'm dead on. I am also aware that the ACM is a West Coast organization originally created to recognize West Coast artists like Merle and they have handed Merle many trophies over the years,..even in the last 15 or so mind you. It's also worth noting that the last one was handed to him by none other than Miranda Lambert herself.
But all of this is irrelevant as none of it has anything to do with the original point I was trying to make. My point was that all of these organizations don't walk it like they talk it. I called The ACM out directly because they are simply the latest in a long line of organizations that have done the same since Merle's death...and even before. Showing homage and handing lifetime achievement awards to the greats of yesterday while claiming to uphold and hold dear the original values and integrity of Country music's legacy. Yet these are just hollow words...merely empty semantics. One needs only to look glancingly at the majority of the music that they, along with the CMA's, predominantly choose to recognize and promote at their award shows.
I fully realize that as I type this, meetings and conversations are taking place on music Row to ensure I am blackballed from the industry and that's perfectly fine with me. Im not sure how you can blackball somebody you don't acknowledge in the first place anyway. Yet, even though they mostly go out of their way to ignore artists like myself and Jason Isbell, I assure you they are more than aware of our existence. They are also well aware that we don't need them. Our last albums went to #1 without any help from the Mainstream Country Music establishment...and our next albums will too. With that said, I have no more need to make enemies with these people than I have a need to be their friends. If anything I'm trying to help them. Because more and more everyday, people are waking up to the situation and they are pissed. Perhaps Country Music, especially Nashville, should wake up too before it's too late.
I should also go ahead and add here that whether or not I am nominated for a CMA award this year, I will not be attending the ceremony for no other reason than the fact I already have a sold out show scheduled in Des Moines, Iowa on the night of the awards ceremony and I have no plans to change that.
Mostly though, I just wish Merle was still alive.
I'd love for them to all hear his thoughts on the matter.
P.S. gently caress this town. I'm moving.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Sturgill Simpson was just nominated for two Grammys, Best Country album and Album of the Year, after being entirely snubbed by the CMAs. The CMAs have never looked more out of touch.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

I’m seeing Murder By Death, who are totally alt country, play with Laura Jane Grace & The Devouring Mothers, who have a line mocking Wilco.

Anyone remember Graveyard Train?

Any Lucero fans?

Can you expand on the Wilco line?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I've seen Son Volt and Jay Farrar live maybe a dozen times (pre-breakup back in the day) and the only time I've ever seen him smile or say more than three words was when some dude kept screaming for Whiskey Bottle (one at every show, at least back in the day) and I yelled out, "Stick to the setlist!"

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I remember when Isbell was just the fat kid in the Drive-By Truckers. He's done quite well for himself.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

here's the absolute dumbest song i've ever heard and i hope you can click on it without seeing the titular lyric and let it hit you in real time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9lhjfbCJo

I'm a 62 year old grandpa, with health issues. My 15 year old grandson is my best buddy. Wish I didn't have to go.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The Skeeters are pretty good and very Waylon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDxv-GeJsNM

Steve Earle is good too. 'The Mountain' is a fantastic album- a little bluegrassy. 'Copperhead Road' and 'Guitar Town' are both still great albums 25 years later.

Um, huh? I wouldn't call The Mountain "a little bluegrassy." It's a straight up bluegrass album. I mean, he's backed by the Del McCoury Band on it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

XBenedict posted:

This is all a little too "Chris Gaines" for me. Pass

Chris Gaines owns son

Garth in the streets
Gaines in the sheets
:cool:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah idk if it's an unpopular opinion (probably?) but i liked the Chris Gaines music when it came out even if the gimmick was a little cringe

I mean i haven't heard it in years but i remember liking it when i was in high school

My podcast's producer co-hosted a season of a podcast called Chris Gaines: The Podcast and it's all the Chris Gaines you never knew you wanted.

https://weownthistown.net/shows/chris-gaines-the-podcast/

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

It's too bad about Unknown Hinson. He's genuinely funny and puts on a solid show. Too bad he basically called Dolly Parton a race traitor.

"Allow me to explain the contamination process: pine cones go in here, party liquors come out here, and proceed to here (pointing at mouth); fights begin, fingerprints is took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.''

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I had the pleasure of meeting JTE in the wild a few years ago and we had a five minute conversation. He was very happy at the time because he had just bought his very first brand new off-the-lot car ever. He was very nice and generous with his time. His music was great, of course. I hate to hear this.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

escape artist posted:

I went through a Sturgill playlist last night and loved it. Now I am getting baked as I dig into Metamodern Sounds in Country Music and I loving love it.

That's the high water mark for me

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

That tracklist can't be the final order. The first seven tracks are alphabetized, and then 8-20 are alphabetized :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

It's absolutely shameful that they disregarded those guys. John Prine is a legend and if you can name someone more country than BJS I'll kiss your rear end