Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
On a trip to Seattle this summer, I discovered an incredible roots/folk/country band called Vaudeville Etiquette. They have male and female singers who switch off songs or harmonize with each other, twangy pedal steel guitar, a trumpet kazoo, lots of songs in minor keys that lend an air of mystery to everything, and a retro-yet-timeless sound that I loved. I wanted to take them all back to Florida with me.

They have an EP that I highly recommend, especially tracks 1 ("Blood & Bone") and 5 ("Six Feet Deep").

http://www.vaudevilleetiquette.com/#!music/c161y

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
For anyone with a Showtime subscription, they are playing a concert film called Another Day, Another Time, with a bunch of folk artists from the Inside Llewyn Davis soundtrack (the Coen Brothers' new movie about the early '60s New York folk scene). I tuned in for Jack White and Colin Meloy from the Decemberists, but the concert has introduced me to the Punch Brothers and Rhiannon Giddens, who were incredible, as well as several other modern folk artists I was unfamiliar with. T-Bone Burnett produced the soundtrack and this concert documentary, and Gillian Welch shows up too -- she worked with him on the Coen Brothers' earlier soundtrack for the wonderful O Brother, Where Art Thou?.

I started watching it on Showtime OnDemand so I haven't made it to the end, but Joan Baez and Elvis Costello are supposed to show up as well. It's just an awesome group of artists having a great time, and if you like guitars and mandolins and banjos and stuff, you need to check it out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

crikster posted:

The Handsome Family is a pretty reputable husband and wife duo... but they sound like 50s pulp western tv theme songs. I can imagine a Handsome Family song playing as the credits to Bat Masterson or whatever rolls by. Brilliant lyrics though, the wife is a legitimate poetical master mind.

Thanks for this! Like a lot of other people, I just discovered the Handsome Family from their gorgeous song in the True Detective opening titles, and I was just coming into this thread to ask if all their stuff was as good as "Far From Any Road." People who know my musical taste (namely my wife and my brother) listened to it once and said it was my perfect style of music (as a fan of Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, Neko Case, and Morricone/Tarantino twang).

Do they have any specific albums I should seek out?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 18, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

crikster posted:

edit: Speaking of Hank 3, his backing band on tour used to be Those Poor Bastards. This is the group that started me into the gothic side of country for the first time. It's very Marilyn Manson type vocals with a zombie cowboy rhythm. It's the type of music I imagine the Undertaker from the WWF would be interested in. Satan Is Watching might be a good one to start with, but all their albums are a similar style.

You would love Ghoultown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-7g1oIyQag

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

all the contemporary country artists... sounding like Bon Jovi hosed a Bass Pro Shop

I love this, and I am going to quote you at some point. It sums up pretty much everything I hate about modern pop-country.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Thile is such a class act as well. In every interview and concert I've seen him in he seems like such a genuinely nice person and you can tell his heart and soul is really into everything he does musically.

There's a great Chris Thile/Punch Brothers documentary on Netflix called How to Grow a Band.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
EVERYONE has recorded a version of "The Long Black Veil," from Johnny Cash to the Dave Matthews Band. But my favorite version is the first one I've ever heard, by Mike Ness:
http://youtu.be/R0lB_EvuwGw

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I need some recommendations of good dark banjo music. Something similar to David Eugene Edwards.

I don't know Edwards, but here is the awesome William Elliott Whitmore doing "Diggin' My Grave":
http://youtu.be/nECtWsah2po

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Loutre posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lsran_Slzc

Tyler Childers is insanely good y'all.

edit: please recommend me some more good modern country, i mostly listen to 60s and 70s country

I'm a little obsessed with Margo Price these days. And Neko Case is one of my all-time favorite singer-songwriters. Her third album, "Blacklisted," is still my favorite, and one of her more country-sounding releases.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife has gotten into Kacey Musgraves lately, so I'm buying her all her previous albums. I'm not usually into mainstream poppy country, but she's charming and talented. "Follow Your Arrow" is a clever little song with a good message and a cute video, and "High Horse" sounds a lot like Jenny Lewis, who we're both huge fans of. I'm sure I'm the last to discover her, especially in this thread.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I saw an Austin City Limits rerun on PBS last night, with Margo Price (I love her so much) and a singer-songwriter named Hayes Carll, who I was unfamiliar with, but he was terrific. His songs reminded me a lot of Tom Waits' 1970s material, which I mean as a major compliment.

I also just discovered masked and mysterious Canadian country crooner Orville Peck, who looks like an obscure Golden Age cowboy-superhero and sounds like he belongs on a David Lynch soundtrack. Here's "Dead of Night":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3esGD6lcMM

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 23, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm here to inform anyone that if they're able to see Orville Peck live, they absolutely should. I saw him last night and he is one HELL of a performer.

Hoping to in September!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Aw nuts! Orville Peck canceled his September show in my city.

At least we're seeing Jenny Lewis for the fifth time in September, and then Kacey Musgraves.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

XBenedict posted:

The rewritten “Highwomen” song is amazing. Jimmy Webb co-wrote it with them to maintain the connection to the original.

Also Yola’s “freedom ride “ segment was excellent. I love her.

I just discovered the HIghwomen and this song after Andy Richter, of all people, tweeted out this live performance clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kerzNA6fSc4

Wow. It was so beautiful, I cried. Before this, I was only familiar with Brandi Carlisle (she opened for the Indigo Girls when I took my wife to see them a few years ago), and that one inescapable Maren Morris pop song. But now they're on my radar, and apparently Amanda Shires and Jason Isbell are amazing and I need to get more into their stuff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Yola needs to be on your radar too, fam. She’s exceptional as well.

Brandi Carlisle is amazing. That’s all I have to say. The others are good, but Brandi is goddess level good. Always.

Yeah, this was my introduction to Yola as well. Loved her verse and her voice.

When I was a teenager in the early-mid '90s, I was really into guitar-based rock music, and I went through a stupid "I hate rap and country" phase. Now I listen to very little rock (it feels like there hasn't been a lot of exciting, fresh rock in a long time, with Jack White as our last significant "rock star"), I'm catching up on decades of amazing, mind-blowing hip hop, and there's really great country/folk/Americana out there if you spend a little time exploring and sifting through the bro-country crap. My wife has even gotten me to appreciate well-crafted pop and musicals, so I feel like my tastes have expanded and improved. This thread has been very helpful, so thanks to all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Margo Price and John C. Reilly just recorded a George Jones/Tammy Wynette duet together at Third Man Records in Nashville, according to Margo's Instagram. It looked like John C. Reilly played a show there with some other special guests, so hopefully we will get some more new recordings from it.

Meanwhile, our Kacey Musgraves concert is a week from today! I took a leap of faith and bought an old-timey embroidered Western-style shirt with the chest, shoulders, and upper back a different color and material (light tan shirt, blue chest/shoulders). I've always liked the look of the more toned-down ones.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Pony is definitely my album of the year, and not just in country/folk/Americana.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DogoDogo posted:

Gotta go with Highwomen. Not only is it near perfect musically, I just love what it represents about women in country music.

Another great album. The titular song makes me cry every time I listen to it. I wish more bands had a theme song that doubles as an origin story and mission statement.

Discovering the Highwomen introduced me to Amanda Shires, who led me to Jason Isbell. Now I have a lot of catching up to do!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm assuming "Redesigning Women" was meant to be a breakthrough pop single? Because it didn't fit the rest of the album. It sounded like a moderate hit from a much more middle-of-the-road female country singer, someone more concerned with performative feminism than embodying the real thing, like the rest of the Highwomen's material. Does that make sense? It's easily the most disposable track on the album, and the one I'm most likely to skip.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ranter posted:

holy poo poo his voice

I know, right? I was so sad he had to cancel his tour date in my city this fall, but hopefully I'll get another chance to see him live. Dude is legit talented -- so much more than just a gimmick.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Only time will tell. It’s a bit gimmicky, but it’s a decent gimmick. The songs are a bit same-y. He can’t sustain this bit unless he varies things up a bit.

I liked the album, but the next one can’t sound like one long Chris Issak song.

I think the gimmick is extra-cool because he reminds me of one of my favorite obscure DC Comics heroes, the Golden Age Vigilante, a singing cowboy movie star/stuntman/early masked superhero.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Orville Peck has a new EP, Show Pony, coming out on August 14th. It has a duet with Shania Twain, who I've never been a big fan of despite thinking she's hot, but I do enjoy duets.

Has anyone heard Margo Price's new album, That's How Rumors Get Started? All the reviews say she's moved away from the old country sound to something more like '70s California rock, and I'm not sure what I think about that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Well, I listened to Orville Peck's unremarkable new EP and it is as I predicted; I'm over his bit.

The one thing on this release that is worthwhile is his version of Bobbie Gentry's oft-covered "Fancy". The rest of his "lonely drifter on a gravel road" routine is played out, and that really shows when he gets paired up with Shania Twain of all people.

Game over.

I didn't like it as much as I hoped to, after Pony ended up being my favorite album of 2019. Peck still has my favorite voice of any modern male singer, but the songs on Show Pony were mostly slow and a little redundant, even to this big fan.

Shania Twain is still gorgeous in the new video, though. I always wish I liked her music because she's so easy on the eyes, but I could never get into her kind of pop-country.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
He canceled his Orlando show back in 2019, shortly after I heard "Dead of Night" for the first time and became an instant fan. I hope he tours here in 2022.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Margo Price returned to an old-school country sound for "Best Friends Make the Best Lovers," a fun and dirty little song that was featured in the new season of Big Mouth on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMoChOkGsNs

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Orville Peck released four songs from his upcoming album Bronco, plus a new video. I love everything so far!

https://orvillepeck.lnk.to/chapter1

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Even though two-thirds of the songs were released early, Orville Peck's new album Bronco finally dropped on Friday, and it is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Heard of Peck before but this is the first album of his I listen to and it's really good background music. Very relaxing stuff IMO.

His first album Pony is just as good. Better, really. This is the first song I ever heard from him, which instantly made me into a fan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3esGD6lcMM