Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

The Protagonist posted:

I think the Hydra is the biggest paper tiger in the series, I'm trying to think of anything else that competes

Maybe Old Iron King. Probably The One Reborn too given its prominence and placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Did you never pop balloons as a kid?

I’d pop her balloons

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Username checks out.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Djeser posted:

Gwynevere. She's so big but you just hit her once and she dies what the heck <:mad:>

Gwynevere in Anor Londo like most of the living things you see there, is an illusion conjured by Gwyndolin. That's why she kind of evaporates when you attack her.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the other things in anor londo don't disappear when you hit it once!

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
Just started my blind run Arty's DLC package. Only took 3 trips through that first fog gate to before it triggered my NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE and send me on a break. 3 attempts using 3 completely different loadout/approaches and he came up with 3 completely different ways to 1 shot me. On the last one he starts up a long continous attack, which I flawlessly dodged until my stamina was exhausted; dying like that really makes you think you're just completely out-classed. even though its probably just the wrong method to avoid the attack, unless I severely underestimated the DLC recommended level by entering at SL 58 just after motorboating ms funbags. regretting passing on that thunder plate ring for advanced pyro flame buff now that's for sure. fighting off the temptation check fextralife until I get back in their and die at least another 30x. typing all this helped to suppress that urge, pray for me while I bash my head against this wall :doclouis:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I had a weird thing happen to me playing last night, and you guys like stories, right? I was fighting Priscilla and I backed up to the ledge that you jump off of to leave. I was waiting for her to walk up to the stairs and then I was poking her with the BKH. Somehow I got too close to the ledge on my last swing, though, so I hit her and very slight recoil pushed me back far enough to start the jumping-off cutscene. I was really mad! I didn't think you could just leave once you initiate the fight.

So I get to the painting room, and all of the sudden there's a VICTORY ACHIEVED and I get her soul. I guess that last hit killed her and I was already close enough to the ledge to start the cutscene...? And the best part of the story: I was so confused that I got backstabbed by a painting guardian and died. At which point I respawned... at the first Anor Londo bonfire. The Painted World is weird.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kalaxus posted:

Just started my blind run Arty's DLC package. Only took 3 trips through that first fog gate to before it triggered my NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE and send me on a break. 3 attempts using 3 completely different loadout/approaches and he came up with 3 completely different ways to 1 shot me. On the last one he starts up a long continous attack, which I flawlessly dodged until my stamina was exhausted; dying like that really makes you think you're just completely out-classed. even though its probably just the wrong method to avoid the attack, unless I severely underestimated the DLC recommended level by entering at SL 58 just after motorboating ms funbags. regretting passing on that thunder plate ring for advanced pyro flame buff now that's for sure. fighting off the temptation check fextralife until I get back in their and die at least another 30x. typing all this helped to suppress that urge, pray for me while I bash my head against this wall :doclouis:

It's not as bad as it first seems. My first 5-10 tries or so were REAL bad and he kept spanking me, but there's a method to his madness. He's unrelenting, it's true, and he gives absolutely no quarter, but in the end he's got a rhythm you can learn like any other boss, it's just a higher tempo with less wiggle room than most. Artorias is v demanding.

Anyway, since I finished DS1 I've been immersing myself in the memes. I recently discovered ThePruID, and I think I love him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3HPkXHxS_s

This one was technically a spoiler I guess? But only in the sense that it looks like FROM forgot to replace the placeholder model they were using for the dragon form during development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvYApd_X3aU

And the pinnacle, imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp28JPs25ek

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

Kalaxus posted:

I see you met my friend Sanctuary Guardian :psyboom:
Probably one of the most satisfying wins in the game. You got this pal.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Malsgrein posted:

Gwynevere in Anor Londo like most of the living things you see there, is an illusion conjured by Gwyndolin. That's why she kind of evaporates when you attack her.

:thejoke:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wanna see a mod where gwynevere is a boss battle. Give her, I dunno, gwyn's moveset?

I wanna see what unholy abomination results from animating her model

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
Didn't realize he was the Glass Cannon from hell I almost feel bad for his hp if not for the fact he had so drat many stun lock bs moves he can chain to kill you at any point he wants to. He even bailed out of a claw attack combo the second he pushed me back far enough for my foot to hit the water to do his 360 no-scope kill on me. Noticing that the water was a problem took a while to notice, and learning that you can only estus during those tiny attack windows and you can only do one or the other has helped. Came close to killing him many times in like 4-6 hits, so now that I can see an end for him nearing now I need to keep him alive long enough until I cut off that annoying tail of his to mount on my wall or I feel that I did enough damage to the tail that it most likely won't come off. The tail only seems to be easily accessible during 1 attack window as he lands the tail lays flat for like 4s otherwise that curly butt jumping all over the place makes avoiding hitting him dead center mass very difficult. His low hp might be a huge problem for me here but I'm not walking away from such an epic fight leaving a damned trophy on the table.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's not as bad as it first seems. My first 5-10 tries or so were REAL bad and he kept spanking me, but there's a method to his madness. He's unrelenting, it's true, and he gives absolutely no quarter, but in the end he's got a rhythm you can learn like any other boss, it's just a higher tempo with less wiggle room than most. Artorias is v demanding.

Anyway, since I finished DS1 I've been immersing myself in the memes. I recently discovered ThePruID, and I think I love him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3HPkXHxS_s

This one was technically a spoiler I guess? But only in the sense that it looks like FROM forgot to replace the placeholder model they were using for the dragon form during development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvYApd_X3aU

And the pinnacle, imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp28JPs25ek

ThePruID is great, but you forgot two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mnjP8TyCK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMBzBmC6Psk

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
drat that was one of the most satisfying wins to date and tail actually dropped an item I want to use and my character is speced to take advantage of, the weapon says its designed to be obnoxious tailored made for me. I tells ya.

https://www.screencast.com/t/kcK7W4yJ - Crack that whip, Whip it Gud!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1784397354939395&set=a.105948602784287.3549.100001074429727&type=3 -Break your mother's back

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doesn't look like anyone else has any plans, so I'll be making the new thread sometime this weekend, whenever I get around to drawing up some OP banners. Other than the obvious info (when the remaster is coming, what Souls is all about, beginner tips), anyone have anything specific for me to consider putting in the OP?

edit: vv Good idea.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 28, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CJacobs posted:

Doesn't look like anyone else has any plans, so I'll be making the new thread sometime this weekend, whenever I get around to drawing up some OP banners. Other than the obvious info (when the remaster is coming, what Souls is all about, beginner tips), anyone have anything specific for me to consider putting in the OP?

Might be good to include one of the lists of changes. Vamos bonfire, multiplayer changes and stuff.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Looking forward to the new thread!

I put up Crossbreed Priscilla last night. I summoned a guy to go through the Painted World with me, just cuz I was human and saw the sign and figured why not dabble in a bit of jolly co-op. The Painted World was much smaller than I'd anticipated though and we ended up blazing through it, and wiping her out on the first try pretty handily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0tL3R3y5kE

Next up are Kalameet, Four Kings, and Gwyn.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CJacobs posted:

you could mention the good dark souls pc mod: Item Randomiser hopefully that'll get ported at some point

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Black Dragon Kalameet - 12:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5oMgq1_BE

Four Kings - 3:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG9Jt6LVadg

It was bittersweet fighting and beating Lord Gwyn. I didn't want my first time with Dark Souls to be over. But like the Age of Fire, all things must end.

Gwyn, Lord of Cinder - 5:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQxOKxJxUo

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Thanks for posting all those videos, they were a lot of fun to watch you progress through.

I have two questions: why did you try using the Tracers against Kalameet, and are you going to do Dark Souls 2 next? :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

While you're at it, make it for all platforms since a lot of us will get it on at least two (ps4/pc here). That way will be easier to keep track of players and so.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GodFish posted:

Thanks for posting all those videos, they were a lot of fun to watch you progress through.

I have two questions: why did you try using the Tracers against Kalameet, and are you going to do Dark Souls 2 next? :v:

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed them :)

I tried using the tracers because I'd had some success with them in pvp--in fact the point where I go from full armor to naked was after I took a break from kalameet to do a bunch of pvp, and got familiar with fighting naked. So I figured, lemme try this out on kalameet, maybe the bleed or toxic will help!

Well, we saw how that went.

And yeah DS2 is next. I'm taking a break to play through Witcher 3 but after that the plan is DS2, 3, then BB

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

CJacobs posted:

if anything for beginner tips - something positive and sincere. "We know it's hard, but learn from your mistakes and it'll pay off" is good DS advice.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Some of the best Souls advice I got came from this thread: The best weapon in Dark Souls is patience.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

The best weapon in Dark Souls is patience.
Yeah this. Guard up, wait, and watch what they do. Identify openings and strike, then fade away.

Also the OP should include some thepruid videos

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

GiantDad and THE WALL should be included tutorial links

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

indyrenegade posted:

GiantDad and THE WALL should be included tutorial links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp8Th41rBs
For those not in the know.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

this is the best souls vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEWmVC3Cikc

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

:psypop::lol: my poe's law-o-meter just broke

just when I thought couldn't be any denser, he gets in one last hit in the end

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Some of the best Souls advice I got came from this thread: The best weapon in Dark Souls is patience.

This is so true. Also it seems the people who think Dark Souls is too hard or unfair are often people with 0 patience.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Or spoiled by games that you can just run and gun through, quite frankly

DS asks you to think and observe and make decisions instead of autopiloting.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

fav dark souls vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtT2xYZbWBs

there was a really funny one where some guy killed capra demon using fall damage and the music was "these boots are made for walking" but i cant find it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Writing up the OP now. I'll have it up sometime tomorrow or maybe wednesday depending on when I get around to it. Last call for funny videos I can stick in the OP/second post!

edit: I also will emphasize the patience thing which is good advice.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Yeah. Honestly - point out in the OP that Dark Souls is about learning and overcoming. It's David and Goliath. It is not a difficult game strictly speaking - it is only difficult because it asks you to observe and adapt. It will feel frustrating to die repeatedly, sure, but like most good things, it takes failing over and over and eventually learning to do better in order to succeed. DS is unforgiving in that approaches to other games don't work here - you can't hack and slash your way through. The game is made to say "no" to that strategy.

That's something that I have always tried hars to get across to new people.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I've always tried hard to get across "don't go to the cemetary first" because everyone goes "oh these skeletons are tough, but this game is tough, so I must be doing the right thing."

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
like if you start as a cleric the skeletons are fine since you start with a mace and they are weak to strike damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DARK SOULS: REMASTERED - Seven years strong and my soul is still mine!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Whoa whoa whoa. This thread is coming to an end? It chronicles my frustrations to acceptance to later addiction and constant return to this franchise.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
BOOKMARKED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm going to miss this thread. It got me started on the series and helped me through my first journey.

• Locked thread