Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

kuskus posted:

Can you describe how you got the dots and lines? I'm starting a project soon where I need to visualize, essentially, a "net", or basically a simple hierarchical cloud of data points. Think of a super-primitive sphere where the verticies are represented as dots and the wireframe is a literal wireframe. I've tried some results with Trapcode MIR, Form, and to an extend even element wherein I bring in an OBJ sequence and just use "position objects at verticies" and also enable wireframe, but it's not as flexible as I like. Wish I had a C4D license at work. I might end up hacking together 3D Stroke with some floating points.

Have you looked into Plexus for AE? But for C4D, you need Ubertracer. Ignore the built-in tracer altogether, go straight for the good stuff.

e: I thought at first that this was the 3DCG thread and was tickled pink that C4D/motion was being discussed among the big boys. :(

Travakian fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

rear end cobra posted:

The Cinema 4D integration in the new After Effects looks cool. I just hope it's as easy and good as they make it seem.

http://landingpage.maxon.net/?lang=en

It is. Tried it out at NAB, it's pretty spectacular. Very smart with memory management, too!

If you have prior versions of C4D, it integrates very nicely. If not, be aware that you won't be able to use any plugins with C4D Lite (but if you own a full package, Cineware will use that instead of Lite)

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Is there any functionality / any scripts or tools that don't exist that you wish would? Or, any processes that are a bitch and a half in your workflow but you'd like automated?

Just getting into script development, taking the down time between projects to pour into this, learning the skill set. So if you have any requests, please let me know!

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

BonoMan posted:

So, hey, anybody want to move to Mississippi for at least a year, work under me, and make a meager salary (with benefits!)?

What's in Mississippi?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Anyone at motion2013 or attend AE World last weekend?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Old stuff~

Travakian fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 9, 2014

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

OtherCubed posted:

I've been working on something for the last couple of nights that people in here (if there's anyone left reading this) might like!

It's an AE precomp that lets you animate circles in a lot of cool ways that'd take a whole while to do by hand. Been messing around with it to check it all works and I'm pretty happy with it!

The download is at http://www.othercubed.com/store/circles

If you don't care about downloading it and just want to see the video, it's up at https://vimeo.com/100242888

Not sure where I could promote something like this? If anyone knows any websites or blogs that might be interested let me know!

Send a link to Lesterbanks.com, and post about it on Twitter and it should get some buzz.

Looks interesting! I haven't downloaded it, but any way for you to convert it into a preset pack? Way more accessible to users than an AEP they have to open up and fiddle around in.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

OtherCubed posted:

Yeah, I really wanted to do something like that, but from what I researched it looked fairly far out of my depth.

I don't have a lot of spare time to learn a whole set of coding - just made this in a couple of late nights - but if there's a simpleish way that anyone knows of to convert it to a jsx (full plugin I'm assuming would be harder) then it's definitely something I'd want to do!

Well-- .jsx would be for a script/panel as opposed to a plugin. Presets are super simple, just a matter of dragging properties/effects to your 'Effects & Presets' panel and saving it as something-- for something like this, may take some rebuilding to get it modular enough, but could be doable.

If you're interested, I can take a look at converting it out as such when I get some time. Toss me an email at username@gmail.com and I'll respond with a non-masked/forum account.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

For anyone who likes shooting the poo poo during the days, saw on Twitter that there's an IRC channel on Freenode for motion chatting--

quote:

Want to hang w/cool mograph peeps all day? Join the #mochat IRC channel on http://chat.freenode.net - http://kiwiirc.com is a good option.

edit (dec 2015): This is defunct, nobody goes here anymore.

Travakian fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 10, 2015

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Two questions!

a) Anyone going to f5 fest in NYC this April?
b) What scripts do you guys generally use day-to-day? Was checking out CreativeDojo's post on different setups/layouts/approaches-- http://creativedojo.net/after-effects-workspaces/

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Anyone doing NAB or F5? Conference goonmeet should happen.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

raging bullwinkle posted:

I ask this same question, out loud, in the office, to no one in particular, on an almost daily basis.

Because this fucks with, at the least: render order, 3d layer render order, blending modes, collapsed precomps...

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

raging bullwinkle posted:

I think they could exist as a purely cosmetic thing. Just have the computer ignore folders completely. Render like they don't exist. Why wouldn't that work?

Because that's only half a solution; they've said multiple times that it's a big feature request, and if they're going to do it they'll do it properly. Focus has been on the architecture rewrite though, and that's Big News.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

This thread's slowly dying... I wonder if everybody's over at the Video Editing thread instead?

FEEDBACK REQUEST:
I'm working on an auto show with some friends, and I'm doing the opener. After reviewing several auto-based webisode shows, (webishows?) I urged them to take it to the next level up and over almost any other level that exists, just because why not. Since we're on a broken shoestring budget, any real footage is not readily available, so I've done most of it in 3D, then bounced into AE for explosions, text, color-grading madness, etc.

Any suggestions to make it even more of moreness? Bearing in mind that the goal is to get that perfect mix of incredible and incredibly not incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONJ1HXm_st8

The track on the explosions doesn't line up properly.
Also: try 'screen' mode on the fire; will sit better.

• Locked thread