Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I recently read my first new McCarthy in a while, All the Pretty Horses, and it's gotten me all worked up about McCarthy again, so I'm happy to have come across this thread! Just read through the whole thread and it's got me a) thinking about my 9-year-old recollections of Blood Meridian a ton and therefore making me want to reread it (I kinda can't believe I read it when I was 15; I'm sure I didn't properly absorb more than 10% of it) and b) really wanting to read Suttree. That melonfucker excerpt posted a couple pages ago is hysterical. First I'm gonna go through the Border Trilogy, though!

And, since no post would be complete without quoting some of this dude's fantastic writing, here's where he pretty much straight-up writes about why the book doesn't start off super bleak in All the Pretty Horses:

Cormac McCarthy posted:

He stood at the window of the empty cafe and watched the activities in the square and he said that it was good that God kept the truths of life from the young as they were starting out or else they'd have no heart to start at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
:siren: Yo McCarthy thread! Getting Blood Meridian-esque vibes from the trailer for The Revenant :siren: Check it out if you haven't already!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I recently read my first new McCarthy in a while, All the Pretty Horses, and it's gotten me all worked up about McCarthy again, so I'm happy to have come across this thread! Just read through the whole thread and it's got me a) thinking about my 9-year-old recollections of Blood Meridian a ton and therefore making me want to reread it (I kinda can't believe I read it when I was 15; I'm sure I didn't properly absorb more than 10% of it) and b) really wanting to read Suttree. That melonfucker excerpt posted a couple pages ago is hysterical. First I'm gonna go through the Border Trilogy, though!

Suttree is really fantastic - it's his gross-out comedy, but is as beautiful and dark as anything else. I think it might have unseated BM as my favourite of his. The only Border Trilogy I've read is The Crossing , which was heart-breaking. Haven't read Pretty Horses yet, but it's pretty sad I hear.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Oh neat, I thought that movie had gotten stuck in development hell. I remember vague rumblings about Christian Bale being attached to it a year or so ago.

Also has there been any more word about The Passenger? McCarthy isn't exactly consistent when it comes to the time between his novels, but the fact that he was talking about it a while back made me assume it was relatively close to being finished.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Oh neat, I thought that movie had gotten stuck in development hell. I remember vague rumblings about Christian Bale being attached to it a year or so ago.

Also has there been any more word about The Passenger? McCarthy isn't exactly consistent when it comes to the time between his novels, but the fact that he was talking about it a while back made me assume it was relatively close to being finished.

There's going to be a public reading of some sections from the Passenger next month actually. Don't know what that means for it's publication though.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

There are two untitled books on Amazon UK with listed publication dates in September and October 2016. No clue if those dates are just placeholders.

ISBN 9780330457422
ISBN 9780330457446

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah I got McCarthy vibes from that trailer too and I'm really stoked for the movie.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Just saw a link to this article, but it's behind a paywall. If anyone is a Newsweek subscriber, is there anything new about The Passenger there?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
It seems to have loaded the whole article for me:

Newsweek posted:

Organizers at SFI confirmed to Newsweek that the novel will be released in 2016, though McCarthy's agent and publishers declined to comment on the status of the book.

Newsweek posted:

Cormac McCarthy thanks the crowd following an August 5 reading from his new book, "The Passenger." Caitlin McShea (second from the left), who read dialogue as the book's female protagonist, is alongside participants David Krakauer and James Drake (far right).

Newsweek posted:

There was also an original soundtrack for the event composed by McCarthy's son, 17-year-old John Francis. But the biggest surprise of all was a digital recording of McCarthy introducing the characters—the only publicized instance in which he has participated in a large public reading.

Newsweek posted:

Other previous novels have subtly woven in science, but according to Krakauer The Passenger will place science in the foreground. “It's everywhere,” he says. Just as the author went through an “Appalachian phase” and a “Southwest phase”—the terms used by scholars to describe his early and middle works—Krakauer says the new book is going to be “full-blown Cormac 3.0—a mathematical [and] analytical novel.”

“I’m extremely amused by imaging what book sellers are going to do with the next novel,” he says. (Whether it gets dubbed “science fiction” or something else, it will most likely be displayed near a window or an entrance.)
http://pastebin.com/fy5aSabW

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Boco_T posted:

It seems to have loaded the whole article for me:

http://pastebin.com/fy5aSabW

:aaaaa: Cormac McCarthy, doing sci-fi?

mdemone fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 20, 2015

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Thanks man! I am hella interested in how it turns out.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Does anyone have the McCarthy quote about how he finds optimism and/or optimistic people dangerous? All I can find is a Vanity Fair interview that doesn't quite match up to what I remember.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Black Bones posted:

:siren: Yo McCarthy thread! Getting Blood Meridian-esque vibes from the trailer for The Revenant :siren: Check it out if you haven't already
It's based on Hugh Glass. There's a pretty great Dollop episode about him.

quote:

Near the forks of the Grand River in present-day Perkins County, in August 1823, while scouting ahead of his trading partners for game for the expedition's larder, Glass surprised a grizzly bear mother with her two cubs. Before he could fire his rifle, the bear charged, picked him up, and threw him to the ground. Glass managed to kill the bear with help from his trapping partners, Fitzgerald and Bridger, but was left badly mauled and unconscious. Henry (who was also with them) became convinced the man would not survive his injuries.

Henry asked for two volunteers to stay with Glass until he died, and then bury him. Bridger (then 19 years old) and Fitzgerald (then 23 years old) stepped forward, and as the rest of the party moved on, began digging his grave.[3] Later claiming that they were interrupted in the task by an attack by "Arikaree"[citation needed] Indians, the pair grabbed Glass's rifle, knife, and other equipment, and took flight. Bridger and Fitzgerald incorrectly reported to Henry that Glass had died.

Despite his injuries, Glass regained consciousness. He did so only to find himself abandoned, without weapons or equipment, suffering from a broken leg, the cuts on his back exposing bare ribs, and all his wounds festering. Glass lay mutilated and alone, more than 200 miles (320 km) from the nearest American settlement at Fort Kiowa on the Missouri.

In one of the more remarkable treks known to history, Glass set his own leg, wrapped himself in the bear hide his companions had placed over him as a shroud, and began crawling. To prevent gangrene, Glass laid his wounded back on a rotting log and let the maggots eat the dead flesh.

Deciding that following the Grand River would be too dangerous because of hostile Indians, Glass crawled overland south toward the Cheyenne River using Thunder Butte, a prominent landmark visible for miles, as a navigational tool. It would take him six weeks to reach the Cheyenne River. Glass survived mostly on wild berries and roots. On one occasion he was able to drive two wolves from a downed bison calf, and feast on the meat. Glass was aided by friendly natives who sewed a bear hide to his back to cover the exposed wounds as well as providing him with food and a couple of weapons to defend himself. He made his way to the Cheyenne River, fashioned a crude raft and floated down the river, eventually reaching the safety of Fort Kiowa.

After a long recuperation, Glass set out to track down and avenge himself against Bridger and Fitzgerald. When he found Bridger, on the Yellowstone near the mouth of the Bighorn River, Glass spared him, purportedly because of Bridger's youth. When he found Fitzgerald, he discovered that Fitzgerald had joined the United States Army, Glass purportedly restrained himself because the consequence of killing a U.S. soldier was death. However, he did recover his lost rifle.
There's also a pretty weak 70s movie called Man in the Wilderness. Inarritu's adaptation looks great but man, how do you have Tom Hardy in your movie and he's playing the cowardly guy instead of the badass who survives a bear attack and crawls through the wilderness for six weeks?

I know it's because DiCaprio only plays leads but I'd love to see a version of this with the parts reversed.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Desumaytah posted:

Does anyone have the McCarthy quote about how he finds optimism and/or optimistic people dangerous? All I can find is a Vanity Fair interview that doesn't quite match up to what I remember.

From an old New York Times article called "Cormac McCarthy's Venomous Fiction" (April 19, 1992 if you have archive access):

quote:

"I think the notion that the species can be improved in some way, that everyone could live in harmony, is a really dangerous idea. Those who are afflicted with this notion are the first ones to give up their souls, their freedom. Your desire that it be that way will enslave you and make your life vacuous."

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

:aaaaa: Cormac McCarthy, doing sci-fi?

Wouldn't be the first time.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
My google skills are lovely or I'm messing up something in the word order. Does anyone have that pdf (I think...) of his vocabulary list?

I did find this delightful smear-piece however

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2010/apr/14/cormac-mccarthy-american-south-west

Reminds me of that posthumous hatchet job NPR published after Howard Zinn's death.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 26, 2015

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

My google skills are lovely or I'm messing up something in the word order. Does anyone have that pdf (I think...) of his vocabulary list?

http://www.johnsepich.com/cormac_mccarthy/words_cormac_mccarthy_uses_in_his_novels.pdf ?

Seems like a rather tedious exercise in statistics. I was hoping for an abridged selection of the particularly obscure and antiquated.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

mdemone posted:

The best thing I've ever heard said about Updike is that it's doubtful he has ever had an unpublished thought, but I can't remember who said it. Maybe DFW?

If so that's incredibly ironic.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 26, 2015

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Thought I'd share Cormac McCarthy's "Home Alone": http://www.theawl.com/2015/12/the-home

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

The North Tower posted:

Thought I'd share Cormac McCarthy's "Home Alone": http://www.theawl.com/2015/12/the-home

Goddamn.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

DFW also called Updike "a penis with a thesaurus," which is a much better burn imo.

edit: To contribute to McCarthy chat: has anybody read Whales and Men? I've always been curious about it. One of this other early stories, A Wake for Emily, is floating around online, but I've never seen Whales anywhere. McCarthy's juvenilia is pretty interesting; it's definitely not good, but you can see these embryonic elements of his style in them.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 17, 2015

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I've never heard of Whales and Men, it's not listed on Wikipedia. It's pretty easy to find the two they have there, Wake for Susan and The Drowning Incident, they're in the PDF on this page.

Googling based on your post, I guess it's an unpublished screenplay that was very bad, and apparently there is a PDF of it somewhere? I will look around and see if I can find it buried somewhere.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Boco_T posted:

I've never heard of Whales and Men, it's not listed on Wikipedia. It's pretty easy to find the two they have there, Wake for Susan and The Drowning Incident, they're in the PDF on this page.

Googling based on your post, I guess it's an unpublished screenplay that was very bad, and apparently there is a PDF of it somewhere? I will look around and see if I can find it buried somewhere.

Yeah, it's a screenplay that is supposedly just heinous, and there's a copy in San Marcos along with Wake for Susan and The Drowning Incident, so you'd think it would be online somewhere. There used to a pdf with all three on it, but I forgot to read it and the link I had is dead now.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

What is McCarthy's next book? Dude's cracking on in years. I want to read The Passenger, I just have such faith in what he writes that I will be, let's use the word "entertained", although you know as well as I do that isn't the word sometimes.

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012
March 2017: http://www.cormacmccarthy.com/topic/the-passenger-postponed/

here's a picture of him holding a monkey to tide you over

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

UrAClassAct posted:

March 2017: http://www.cormacmccarthy.com/topic/the-passenger-postponed/

Well at least there's something on the schedule somewhere. You hear me, Pynchon, damnit?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

mdemone posted:

Well at least there's something on the schedule somewhere. You hear me, Pynchon, damnit?

Don't Pynchon's novels always sneak up with little fanfare, though? The most you ever hear are rumblings when somebody stumbles across a page on Amazon.

It is my sincerest wish that we get one more 800+ page beast from Pynchon before he hangs it up. Bleeding Edge and Inherent Vice are really good and all, but I want a proper follow-up to Against the Day - especially since you can really see how his big novels build on each other.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

UrAClassAct posted:

He looks so... handsome.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

House Louse posted:

He looks so... handsome.

I always picture him as some bitter old man or something.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I always found it funny that as he gets older his dust-jacket photos keep getting less jovial. He currently looks like he's in the middle of killing someone with his mind.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Has this news hit the thread yet? Russel Crowe to star in a James Franco-directed movie version of Blood Meridian

http://deadline.com/2016/05/russell-crowe-james-franco-to-direct-cormac-mccarthy-blood-meridian-cannes-1201749735/

On the one hand this will be terrible, but on the other hand it was always going to be a terrible butchery of the book so having these two on board may salvage it. There's the possibility that the movie disappears up its own rear end so thoroughly as to become some kind of hilarious bizarro version of the move that could have been a la Jorodowsky's Dune.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It's already been reported that it fell through because they couldn't obtain the rights. Weird.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Started Suttree and got a real try-hard vibe from the opening vignette. All of the verbosity with none of the grace that I enjoy from McCarthy. This carried through somewhat into the first few pages and now the book has been put into kind of a bad frame for me and it feels a little clunky. Does it even out a bit?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

Started Suttree and got a real try-hard vibe from the opening vignette. All of the verbosity with none of the grace that I enjoy from McCarthy. This carried through somewhat into the first few pages and now the book has been put into kind of a bad frame for me and it feels a little clunky. Does it even out a bit?

Not for me it didn't. Suttree reads like a bad parody of McCarthy's work.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Suttree is loving awesome and has some of the funniest moments I've read in a McCarthy book.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

meanolmrcloud posted:

I also didn't like Suttree. I haven't liked any of his stuff that before Blood Meridian

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
of the pre-Blood Meridian works, I'd say that I enjoyed Suttree the most. The other ones never really came together for me, though they all had spectacular moments. They just never wowed me as a whole like Blood Meridian or The Crossing did.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I just wanna see John Travolta in the role of Suttree. No more, no less.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Leaving Las Vegas era Nicolas Cage, please.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jewmanji posted:

Leaving Las Vegas era Nicolas Cage, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW3aCuxY1DY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpwJOqeU5Vo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thomas pynchon
May 11, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

DFW also called Updike "a penis with a thesaurus," which is a much better burn imo.

edit: To contribute to McCarthy chat: has anybody read Whales and Men? I've always been curious about it. One of this other early stories, A Wake for Emily, is floating around online, but I've never seen Whales anywhere. McCarthy's juvenilia is pretty interesting; it's definitely not good, but you can see these embryonic elements of his style in them.

That whole DFW essay (or review, I guess, since it was just about the Updike book) is a treat. I haven't stopped calling Mailer, Roth, and Updike the "great male narcissists" since I read that.

It's not wrong, either. All of their later-year books (except maybe Mailer, who I'm under-educated with) are about old professors loving twenty-year-olds.

Bringing it back to McCarthy: I wish he wrote more non-fiction. I'd like to have a better idea of what the guy thinks of the world at-large. I know he's averse to that, but it's fascinating to think about, especially what he thinks of modern-day literature, if he thinks anything of it. He touched on this a little in an NPR interview years back (with Werner Herzog!), but, unsurprisingly, he was the quietest in the room.

• Locked thread