Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mdemone posted:

Use a smartphone, install Google Translate, and hover the camera over the page when you come to a passage in Spanish.

Are you sure you want to do that? Remember the scene where the Judge copied a petroglyph into his book and then scraped it away with a piece of slate?

Maybe it's some kind of superstition I have, or some half formed idea, but I have a feeling it'd be better just to read it in a book and not understand. I don't think I could get "into" it as much if I had to read it on a screen, under glass.

I think technology is closely allayed with the thing that is called war in Blood Meridian, so if you use a high tech kind of thing to read it, you're sort of buying into it. Magic isn't real, but I have the sense that Blood Meridian is some kind of non-rational (but valid and meaningful) statement. Symbols are ultra important, and the way you "consume" the book, for lack of a better word, becomes part of the message itself. Blood Meridian is the petroglyph -- meaning is conveyed, but not like it is in an astronomical or theological treatise, for example.

I like the hyper-metaphoric feeling in it. Metaphors are pretty much one of the basic ways people understand things, in Blood Meridian you have to tease out this almost recursive line as you traverse the story. Sort of like if metaphors were made manifest: what is actually going on here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Blind Sally posted:

(I'm assuming that when you said "allayed" you meant "allied," because "allayed" means something different than what your intent seems.)

I wrote allayed at first, and then did a bit of a double take and looked it up. There is an archaic definition of "to mix metals; alloy" so I said gently caress it and left it in.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 14, 2012

• Locked thread