Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So it turns out the Leyden Rifle is incredibly powerfull. In only 4 shots i managed to kill one Selenian, set another on fire and freeze time and space forever. I can now enjoy the perfect second of the universe forever as my colonists act like they usually do when the game is paused.

Once this gets a bit too stressfull i can always pause the game, which means everyone still acts like the game is paused but now my screen is the usual slightly darker.

I can scroll around to my hearts content and inspect menu or submenu in the colony/interface fine. it just won't get around to dealing with commands like forbid item or construct thingy.

Also when i press save, nothing happens. So a save file will be an ingame day old (this happened in the evening of day 109) and i have no clue if its gonna let itself be reproduced.

When i press exit without saving, it does popup with the "are you sure? you'll loose everything that isn't saved" question. but when i press yes it just removes the popup and.....does nothing.

Edit: so upon loading the dayold save, i got the leyden rifle locker installed and pressed save even before having switched the barracks crew in question to using said rifles. This did not amuse the terrible architect of the sky devouring deathworm and thus my game crashed halfway through saving.

Edit 2: okay so i managed to get it to save after installing the leyden rifle locker (i started saving after each step in its construction stockpiling and installation just to be sure) and very shortly after i switched them to using that shiny shiny gun, they ran into a glow worm thing. shot that without incident, then took 3 or so shots at the selenian hover ball of hate setting it on fire. the instant that it looked like it died (either to the shooting or the being on fire) the game crashed.

Save file sent.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

SerthVarnee posted:

Save file sent.

Looking at this now - thanks for the save!

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Also while i've got your attention in that save. the exterior mounted lamps on one of the overseer houses....aren't they supposed to give a quality bonus?

I tried placing them in an attempt to get said house to +6 quality, but all the did was make the place a little shinier i guess?

Ended up having to cram another two wooden plints in there.

Should only be the two lamps in the entire settlement so they should be possible to locate.

I could also just be completely wrong in my reading of their inteded use.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is there a wiki or something up, yet? There's a ton of things I can't seem to figure out how to make.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Tias posted:

Is there a wiki or something up, yet? There's a ton of things I can't seem to figure out how to make.

There's an Official CE wikia:

http://clockworkempires.gamepedia.com/Clockwork_Empires_Wiki

But it's in rough-ish shape, as we've as some of the information is outdated. Still it's not a bad place to start. If you have specific question, you can ask here or on the official forums, too.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Zaardvark posted:

There's an Official CE wikia:

http://clockworkempires.gamepedia.com/Clockwork_Empires_Wiki

But it's in rough-ish shape, as we've as some of the information is outdated. Still it's not a bad place to start. If you have specific question, you can ask here or on the official forums, too.

Thanks! Umm, I can't seem to work out where to make rugs.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Tias posted:

Thanks! Umm, I can't seem to work out where to make rugs.
At a decor workbench in the carpentry workshop, you need to research 'Advanced Decor' under the 'Colony Production' tree at the laboratory before you can make them though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nerdcubed just uploaded a video of this game, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABEX4fQPXAk. He does a good renaming policy for his colonists.

Verloc posted:

At a decor workbench in the carpentry workshop, you need to research 'Advanced Decor' under the 'Colony Production' tree at the laboratory before you can make them though.
:allears:

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
I guess it is actually called 'Improved Decor Research' :v:

nvining
May 30, 2011

1.0D has now been posted to the experimental. Changes here:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/1-0d-on-experimental-branch-redacted.18663/#post-121279

please enjoy the Invisible Geometers

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

nvining posted:

1.0D has now been posted to the experimental. Changes here:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/1-0d-on-experimental-branch-redacted.18663/#post-121279

please enjoy the Invisible Geometers

The resupply fix was good, i couldnt figure out why stuff was getting supplied.

For the trade window is there a way to select more than one item at a time, trying to sell 300 beer takes 300 clicks?

nvining
May 30, 2011

ianmacdo posted:

The resupply fix was good, i couldnt figure out why stuff was getting supplied.

For the trade window is there a way to select more than one item at a time, trying to sell 300 beer takes 300 clicks?

SHIFT-click should increment by 10.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

nvining posted:

SHIFT-click should increment by 10.

it does for the workshops and stuff, but not the trade window.

Also, outside decor, like lights or pipes or vents does not increase the quality inside the building like it says it should.

ianmacdo fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 21, 2016

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Ah good, im not the only one with the outdoor decor issue.

Having only just now noticed the mail from you guys telling me my previous attempt to send a save file failed, i've tried it again (though i suspect, its gonna end up with the same lack of file sent issue, due to its size)

This save is of course from version 1.0C so might not be of any use to you any more

nvining
May 30, 2011

SerthVarnee posted:

Ah good, im not the only one with the outdoor decor issue.

Having only just now noticed the mail from you guys telling me my previous attempt to send a save file failed, i've tried it again (though i suspect, its gonna end up with the same lack of file sent issue, due to its size)

This save is of course from version 1.0C so might not be of any use to you any more

Yeah, probably not relevant at this point as internally we are testing on 1.0E (and moving the build machines, AND all dealing with The Stomach Flu of Total Destruction). Thanks, though!

Outdoor decor issues have been noticed and I believe fixed by David, I'll track that down Monday.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Decor is still... odd. I really don't get the point of it at the moment.

If you built Wooden Decor at a Carpentry from planks and constructing a Cabinet required 1x Wooden Decor, then that'd be fine. It wouldn't work as well with the trade system as boxed goods, but it's probably good enough to just sell 'Wooden Decor' to traders.
If you built a Boxed Cabinet at a Carpentry from planks and constructing a Cabinet required a Boxed Cabinet, then that'd be fine. More fiddly, as you have to keep going back and making new requests for different types of cabinets as you can't keep a standing order for each type open without a huge workshop with a rock-bottom Quality, but fine.

Now...
You have to build Decor at your Carpentry from planks. Then build a Boxed Cabinet from the same workbench from Decor. Then place the cabinet. Why are there 3 steps, not 2? All it seems to add is the ability for you to make any decor out of wood OR glass OR stone & clay. But doesn't that just remove a lot of the distinction of biomes and different start locations anyway? You can build a clay pot from wooden planks, or a barometer from stone, which means that colonies that're wood-poor but stone-rich look exactly like those in a verdant forest.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so i've got a machine that can run this now

and i'm trying to figure out roughly how large i want to make buildings like the bunkhouse or the pub

also i'm assuming i want to put a lot more than just 3 cots into the bunkhouse so my people can actually sleep, right

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Each cot will reduce the beauty by 1, so i tend to start with several small bunkhouses.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

A laborer bunkhouse expands your population cap by up to five anonymous sets of hands, so my standard pattern is 9 tiles long (5 cots with four interstitial spaces) by four wide (3-length cot + walkway), with a door and window on either short end, four large clotheslines along the walkway wall flanking a centrally-placed Small Shrine. Not terribly hard to get this smallish footprint out and having a lovely bed in an unfinished bunkhouse sounds better than sleeping on the ground in the wood shop, at least to me.

Middle class are more involved, but they also cap out at four stalwart craftfolk each when completely filled out so I typically start with the footprint of all four beds+single walkway tile and then add space from there until I have enough to fit in all required amenities. Once you get the hang of how it fits together you can sometimes manage to fill in some irregular spaces with middle class housing, as long as you don't get seduced into the brutal simplicity of leveling giant chunks of terrain to fill full of McColonial Mansions.

Tias
May 25, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

A laborer bunkhouse expands your population cap by up to five anonymous sets of hands, so my standard pattern is 9 tiles long (5 cots with four interstitial spaces) by four wide (3-length cot + walkway), with a door and window on either short end, four large clotheslines along the walkway wall flanking a centrally-placed Small Shrine. Not terribly hard to get this smallish footprint out and having a lovely bed in an unfinished bunkhouse sounds better than sleeping on the ground in the wood shop, at least to me.

Middle class are more involved, but they also cap out at four stalwart craftfolk each when completely filled out so I typically start with the footprint of all four beds+single walkway tile and then add space from there until I have enough to fit in all required amenities. Once you get the hang of how it fits together you can sometimes manage to fill in some irregular spaces with middle class housing, as long as you don't get seduced into the brutal simplicity of leveling giant chunks of terrain to fill full of McColonial Mansions.

You don't need more than 3 cots to up the labourer gain, but is it safe to assume that sleeping on a cot improves labourer housing happiness?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Tias posted:

You don't need more than 3 cots to up the labourer gain, but is it safe to assume that sleeping on a cot improves labourer housing happiness?

Heh, to be honest I never even though about it that way. Max pop gain is 5, so each bunkhouse should have 5 bunks, and conveniently exactly enough decor to hit the quality standard fits along the blank wall.

I guess making sure everyone has a dry place to sleep that's not the floor has always been an unstated personal priority for me in this game. I will usually build an oversized house of each type once I'm comfortably stable, in order to bring the bed count up to include the original colonist allotment.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do i get my colonists to bury foreign invaders

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have french skeletons and long pork lying all over the place

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Sounds like a party

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i figured out i can manually select the furriners to be buried, is that the intended way?

also my barber and my vicar are never in when people want to see them, how do i deal with this

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
trying to make the chapel and barbershop super fancy to lure them in during rest shifts

how common of a bug is it that dead overseers remain selectable in the graveyard forever

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Try setting your barber and vicar to work during shifts where everyone else is off, when I do this it tends to cut down on but not eliminate the problem of people not getting the services they need to prevent death/madness (leading to death).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do i change that? can't seem to find any such option in the office interface

also, funny note, because all my overseers in the graveyard still count as some form of being around, all my colonial spats involve at least one dead person and it's getting really weird

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Scheduling is in the work crew interface, not the office interface. With regards to your Squabbling Dead problem, it's something that happened often enough to make it unsurprising midway through the alpha but I haven't seen it in quite some time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
between this and a couple other bugs (trying to replace my kitchens' stone ovens with iron ovens has screwed up the module order interface and one of the kitchens now believes it has no door) i think i'm going to just vitrify this save, send it to gaslamp, and start anew with the knowledge i've gained about the game

time to look up how to send in bugged savegames

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I swear there used to be the functionality to restrict specific work crews from doing specific types of assignment jobs, but I can't for the life of me find it again. Was this removed at some point?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Tollymain posted:

time to look up how to send in bugged savegames
That's an easy one. :)

nvining posted:

All broken save games, replays, consoles, etc. should be sent to contact 'at' gaslampgames dot com with your SA user account name and a brief reminder as to what the hell the problem is. [...]

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 29, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Krunge posted:

I swear there used to be the functionality to restrict specific work crews from doing specific types of assignment jobs, but I can't for the life of me find it again. Was this removed at some point?

Yeah, now work crews assigned to a specific work site do that task, work crews without an assignment take care of construction, resourcing, and hauling.

Now that I think about it, though, the 'all colonists will also haul if they have no other tasks' assumption that I have is based on behavior from a lot of Alphas ago, anyone else remember if this is still true?

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

LonsomeSon posted:

Scheduling is in the work crew interface, not the office interface.

Okay, so where is the 'Work Crew Interface'? Scheduling must be so useful in helping the colony run smoothly, but I just can't work out how to do it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Sad Wendigo posted:

Okay, so where is the 'Work Crew Interface'? Scheduling must be so useful in helping the colony run smoothly, but I just can't work out how to do it.

Ah, it's the Overseers tab now. The row of rectangles under the laborer assignment slots indicates work scheduling but it seems like you can't interact with it anymore. I wonder how far back that change was, and how I managed not to notice it.

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

LonsomeSon posted:

Ah, it's the Overseers tab now. The row of rectangles under the laborer assignment slots indicates work scheduling but it seems like you can't interact with it anymore. I wonder how far back that change was, and how I managed not to notice it.

That explains it then, thanks for letting me know.

All in all it's a great fun game. As somebody who has put a couple of hundred hours into Dungeons of Dredmore it's great to see that you're keeping with the style and wit, in a totally different genre.
The first attack from a foreign power was a bit of a shock. I did manage to fight them off, but lost quite a few overseers in the process. The tough decision for me now is whether to keep going with this save, or restart and do better with what I've learned from my mistakes.

I hope you re-introduce group scheduling again soon!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So is this still on experimental patches or did they ever push out another stable release?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Its been quiet

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Its been quiet

I think there's still too many bugs for me to throw myself into this game at the moment.
I'll give it another go after the next patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
daynab no longer works at gaslamp games, forums silent on their end

game dead lol

• Locked thread