Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Really excited about this. A few questions come to mind:

Will fluids be finite? Will we be able to drain lakes of water/lave and create lakes of industrial effluent?

Will there be incentives/gimmicks to keep generational games going? Like each new governor has a different advantage/stat bonus to encourage competing agendas? Maybe some kind of reward/punishment for setting/accomplishing/halting your own ambitions as well as those of your predecessors?

How large will the play areas be? Will it be possible to select which plot of land we settle or are we always going to be on the coast? Being linked to the empire via crawling steam-powered land caravans seems cool.

will it be possible to declare/fight for independence from the empire?

Really appreciate how much time and attention you are paying to this thread. I'm a big fan of DoD and look forward to testing this title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

nvining posted:

Umm, so here's a stupid question for people to discuss and fight over: what do people *want* out of generational games?

I think the things I would most like to see are features that strengthen the sense of continuity and the cooperation/competition between the generations of governors. A few ideas could be certain citizens developing loyalty to a governor (maybe you built him a big workshop or dispensed with a rival?) and having that loyalty turn to bitterness when a new governor takes over. Maybe a generational game mode where each governor is encouraged to build as large a monument to themselves in their allotted governing time? Maybe allow governors to put preservation orders over certain neighborhoods, buildings, or plots of wilderness that will last for the next generation? I don't know, it seems like there is a lot of potential to really play with the dynamics of the relationships between a past and present ruler.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'm bummed. I really wanted to buy and like this game but I'm glad I didn't end up spending the money. When they first announced it I was sceptical. the colony sim market seemed saturated with half baked attempts and the steam punk thing was already feeling played out. But as I followed their development blog I ended up really enjoying their humor and presentation of their successes, theories, and failures. They seem like a sharp team with a great dry sense of humor. I also liked Dredmore and wanted to see what else they could do. I guess these things happen. Thanks Obama!

• Locked thread