Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Forsooth posted:

I own the Beginners Game, but not the full Beta rulebook so I have a few questions about the full game.

1. I have played quite a bit of Saga Edition and I love the ability to multi-class, since I think it is in keeping in line with the films. Does the full game provide rules for multi-classing?

2. I could not see any discernible difference between the different species in the folios. Is there much difference between the different species mechanically, or is it just fluff?

3. The trees in the folios seem rather uninspired, for the most part. Many of the choices just give the character a plus one to some random stat or something equally uninteresting (which is fine in a tutorial, but would get rather old in a full length campaign). Does the full rulebook have some more interesting talent choices?

1. Yup. There are careers and specializations. Career is Bounty Hunter/Smuggler/Hired Gun/etc. Each career has 3 specializations (e.g., Bounty Hunters can be Assassins, Gadgeteers, or Survivalists). Each character can have up to three specialization trees. To take another specialization tree from your existing career, you pay 10xp * the number of specializations you would have with the new one added. So if you're an Assassin, you can buy the Gadgeteer specialization for 20xp. If you want to buy a specialization outside your career, it's an extra 10xp on top of that cost. Force sensitivity works like within-career, so no extra 10xp.

2. Species have different starting stats, including primary stats, wound threshold, strain threshold, XP, and skills. Some species also have special abilities, like Trandoshan regeneration and claws, or Wookiee rage.

3. Sort of steps on my answering the previous questions, but download the reference sheets to see them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsooth
Nov 11, 2009

Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Bionic posted:

KNOWLEDGE

That certainly helps answer all my previous questions. I only have one last niggling concern about the system: Why the gently caress did they divide initiative into two separate skills? It seems like that could actively discourage some character types from planning ahead since they may actually get a lower initiative roll for doing so. Has anyone experienced problems with this, or does it somehow work in game?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Forsooth posted:

That certainly helps answer all my previous questions. I only have one last niggling concern about the system: Why the gently caress did they divide initiative into two separate skills? It seems like that could actively discourage some character types from planning ahead since they may actually get a lower initiative roll for doing so. Has anyone experienced problems with this, or does it somehow work in game?

It really seemed like they should have just stuck with a single attribute for determining initiative, with added Boost/Setback dice if prepared/surprised. That's how WFRP 3E works.

Or even use your best of the two skills if prepared, worst if surprised.

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

It really seemed like they should have just stuck with a single attribute for determining initiative, with added Boost/Setback dice if prepared/surprised. That's how WFRP 3E works.

Or even use your best of the two skills if prepared, worst if surprised.
I like that second option, although actually I really liked the split to two stats so maybe I'm just wrong in the head. I doubt the skills would end up sufficiently far apart for it to be a major issue ether way, especially given the business of swapping around initiative slots freely in subsequent rounds which I do not really understand having only read the beginners guide mission in preparation for running it with my old group in a couple of weeks. I'm sure it will make more sense in practice. Maybe.

On that note, this is a stupid question I suspect but minion groups act as a single unit right? So 3 storm troopers attack one player a round at their enhanced dice pool, even in melee? That seems a little wonky. Am I interpreting that right? Surely 3 troopers don't get 3 attacks in melee on different targets at their higher value?

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Spork o Doom posted:

I like that second option, although actually I really liked the split to two stats so maybe I'm just wrong in the head. I doubt the skills would end up sufficiently far apart for it to be a major issue ether way, especially given the business of swapping around initiative slots freely in subsequent rounds which I do not really understand having only read the beginners guide mission in preparation for running it with my old group in a couple of weeks. I'm sure it will make more sense in practice. Maybe.

On that note, this is a stupid question I suspect but minion groups act as a single unit right? So 3 storm troopers attack one player a round at their enhanced dice pool, even in melee? That seems a little wonky. Am I interpreting that right? Surely 3 troopers don't get 3 attacks in melee on different targets at their higher value?

You are correct, it's just one attack. You're not forced to roll them all in a single group though, so if you'd rather they all did their own thing just split them up. The rules still work for even just two minions if you'd like two of them to be shooting while one is engaged.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Got be on the player end of the starting adventure tonight.

The gamorrean fight led off with me dragging Vex over to the booth and ambushing the guards from there, while the twillek jumped out of the closet with carbine firing, and the wookie skip-jumped the bar and murdered a piggy in one stroke.

Then we strong armed an old man for a part to fix a ship that wasn't even ours, tried to sweet talk the nice lady that ran starship control in the city, murdered a group of stormtroopers who had come to arrest my smuggler, then gassed the owner of a slaver ship before taking off under fire from TIE Fighters and a star destroyer.

I am hooked. :neckbeard:

MWMetric
Nov 7, 2000

I have a friend who plays RPGs with us over Skype as he doesn't live near us and we wanted to play Edge of the Empire. So I made him an application for rolling the custom dice in the game and I thought I would share it here. It's pretty quick and dirty right now but I am going to update it with dice totals and the option of having it automatically cancel out opposing symbols like success and failure. I will also probably have to change the symbols to letters as Fantasy Flight doesn't seem to want people making apps for this when they are selling their own. But I wanted to post it before I get to all that in case anyone has a need for it. Let me know if there's any problems or suggestions for making it better.

http://heyitsthatdog.com/apps/empiredice/

Edit - Updated it to automatically cancel out opposing dice and total everything up, as well as changed the symbols to letters for copyright reasons. Doesn't look nearly as good without the symbols but what can you do.

MWMetric fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 15, 2013

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Q2 2013 for the core rulebook

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3878

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Awesome. That's just right around the corner. I definitely could use that GM screen!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
GM screens are silly, but I always buy them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Looselybased posted:

Awesome. That's just right around the corner. I definitely could use that GM screen!

Fantasy Flight is well known for sticking to deadlines.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
The players aren't making all of the rolls, but even on opposed rolls the dice give you enough room for interpretation to be able to advance the story in a compelling way. There's no reason to not roll in the open.

But screens are actively unhelpful in this system. Unless you have buckets full of the custom dice, constantly handing that poo poo over a gm screen sounds awkward and dumb and a recipe for spilt beer.

I think file folders or portfolios work far better in general. There's little reason for the cheat sheets found on the backs of most gm screens to not be just out in the open, and it's nice to be able to take your notes with you when you're playing set piece encounters, taking a break, etc.

Maybe I can find a Star Wars Trapper Keeper on ebay...

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

fosborb posted:

If you are gonna go that route just get a cheap binder from Staples or whatever and print out SCENES OF STAR WARS or game info or whatever and stick it in the inserts.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
The one thing I like about gm screens is that they can help set the mood of the game.

This is Star Wars table top. What better way to set the mood of childhood pulp and nostalgia and honestly the ewoks were totally different and better than Jar Jar, then a motherfucking Trapper Keeper?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

fosborb posted:

This is Star Wars table top. What better way to set the mood of childhood pulp and nostalgia and honestly the ewoks were totally different and better than Jar Jar, then a motherfucking Trapper Keeper?

Getting a cardboard tube and waving it around while going "whummm, whummm, kshh! whumm," like a lightsaber?
The John Williams soundtrack?

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

fosborb posted:

The players aren't making all of the rolls, but even on opposed rolls the dice give you enough room for interpretation to be able to advance the story in a compelling way. There's no reason to not roll in the open.

But screens are actively unhelpful in this system. Unless you have buckets full of the custom dice, constantly handing that poo poo over a gm screen sounds awkward and dumb and a recipe for spilt beer.

I think file folders or portfolios work far better in general. There's little reason for the cheat sheets found on the backs of most gm screens to not be just out in the open, and it's nice to be able to take your notes with you when you're playing set piece encounters, taking a break, etc.

You are probably right about the screen being not as helpful but I'm a sucker for well designed laminated objects. Plus, I could use the screen so that my players don't constantly crane their necks to look at enemy stats. Drives me up the wall.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I always hope to get use out of the cheat sheet type stuff, but they almost never have the info that you really need at hand. Half of it will be taken up with stuff you never need to refer to, and you're left flipping through the book for the poo poo you want all the time. I should really make my own cheat sheets.

I realize this is like GMing 101, but I'm pretty lazy. (And a bad GM.)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My solution for having to pass the dice around the screen is to buy the roller app for Android if they ever rerelease it. (they pulled it because the Google Play web interface was altered and they haven't gotten one of their IT people to figure it out yet)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jay Little talks about the dice in Edge of the Empire. Nothing surprising if you've played it or WFRP3 (which he also designed), but might help those who don't get the dice thing.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

VanSandman posted:

Getting a cardboard tube and waving it around while going "whummm, whummm, kshh! whumm," like a lightsaber?
The John Williams soundtrack?

No jedi in the starter adventure. :smith:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

fosborb posted:

No jedi in the starter adventure. :smith:

This is a very good thing!

:goonsay:
At this point in the time line Jedi/Force Sensitive persons are very rare and hunted by the empire.
The fact that you can be a force sensitive character is interesting and I hop the next books allow you to take a fledgling force sensitive and work them up to ultimate powerhouse of the force. (Light or Dark)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am really looking forward to seeing some "old school" adventures where Jedis are rare and stormtroopers are horrible shots.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am really looking forward to seeing some "old school" adventures where Jedis are rare and stormtroopers are horrible shots.

Stormtroopers in the Beginner Game are really loving dangerous.

edit: the GM screen I have for D6 (apparently really rare and worth a ton) has a panel for character templates for PCs :downs:

alg fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 16, 2013

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I played in a 4 year long campaign of the old WEG Star Wars RPG and the closest we ever came to seeing a jedi, was finding a lightsaber in a lockbox.
The setting is really rich, and doesn't need Jedi to lend itself to amazing games.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I appreciate that they put in force-sensitive as an option but I don't think it will come up very much in games I run. I kind of see it as being similar to how witches are handled in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - second edition had a note saying to think hard about choosing it as a career because it can cause very awful things to happen to you.

Yeah, the moment the Empire finds out you're force sensitive, bad things will start to happen.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

BattleMaster posted:

I appreciate that they put in force-sensitive as an option but I don't think it will come up very much in games I run. I kind of see it as being similar to how witches are handled in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - second edition had a note saying to think hard about choosing it as a career because it can cause very awful things to happen to you.

Yeah, the moment the Empire finds out you're force sensitive, bad things will start to happen.

What you don't think Boba Fett coming to rape your face would be fun!?

I would make it very clear to any player I ran a game for what the danger is of being force sensitive and to make sure that they do their absolute best to keep it a secret.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

On the other hand, if you weren't in the middle of things and were more, you know, on "the edge of the Empire" (to coin a totally new phrase), then maybe being Force-sensitive is balanced in-game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

homullus posted:

On the other hand, if you weren't in the middle of things and were more, you know, on "the edge of the Empire" (to coin a totally new phrase), then maybe being Force-sensitive is balanced in-game.

What you think there's no Imperial presence there? Even when the beginner adventure featured Stormtroopers landing in your little backwater town just to help the friendly local crime lord off you?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

What you think there's no Imperial presence there? Even when the beginner adventure featured Stormtroopers landing in your little backwater town just to help the friendly local crime lord off you?

I think if a GM wants to run a campaign with a whole party full of Force-sensitives like they were the Dukes of Kashyyyk (complete with Rebellion-logo-emblazoned General Lee landspeeder that plays Dixie when it rolls into town) then that is ok. It is on the Edge of the Empire.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o
My favorite thing about the Force Sensitive specialization in this is that if you don't take any of the force powers but you do take the force sensitive spec, you can very easily play it off as a Force user that just doesn't know he is force sensitive, since all the stuff is just bonuses to things that your character could very well do without knowing (like being persuasive, lucky, etc.). Really captures the feeling of Han Solo and the like.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

homullus posted:

I think if a GM wants to run a campaign with a whole party full of Force-sensitives like they were the Dukes of Kashyyyk (complete with Rebellion-logo-emblazoned General Lee landspeeder that plays Dixie when it rolls into town) then that is ok. It is on the Edge of the Empire.

I never said anything about it being unbalanced( I'm sure it's fine knowing Fantasy Flight) or people not being allowed to do what they want. I only said that I think it provides tons of hooks for people with ill intentions to be after any character who goes that route if they're too open about it. I'm sure you think repeating the game's name over and over is real entertaining though

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

homullus posted:

I think that sounds amazing. It needs a horn that plays the star wars equivalent of Dixie. Yub Nub I guess.

MWMetric
Nov 7, 2000

I updated my dice rolling app. You can now save and load dice sets. So you could save things like your weapon and skill dice. I also added options like the ability to turn off the automatic cancelling of opposing symbols. The roll on load option makes it so saved dice roll automatically when you click them, but if you disable that it will just add the dice to your hand. That way you could load your attack dice and then add opposing dice before rolling.

Let me know if you find any bugs.

http://heyitsthatdog.com/apps/empiredice/

Now the only thing left is to make it pretty.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I never said anything about it being unbalanced( I'm sure it's fine knowing Fantasy Flight) or people not being allowed to do what they want. I only said that I think it provides tons of hooks for people with ill intentions to be after any character who goes that route if they're too open about it. I'm sure you think repeating the game's name over and over is real entertaining though

I was totally entertained by repeating the name of the game, but I wasn't trying to antagonize you by doing so. Sorry about that! I agree that a GM who wants to be a jerk has a blank check (with an even bigger space for the units of campaign suffering than plain GMing normally provides) when players decide to be Force-sensitive. The game supports GM-jerkness but does not require it just because there is an Empire. As always, the real answer is that everybody should talk about what they want out of the game so that everyone has a good time. I hope this helps clarify what I was getting at!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't play an adversarial game with my players and in fact I may be too permissive (see my summary of how the beginner adventure turned out earlier in this thread) but it's certainly not going to be a hugbox. I mean after all, the players are playing as criminals, bounty hunters, mercenaries, outcasts, thrillseekers, and outspoken political activists (in a universe with the most oppressive government ever that is also led by a space wizard.) The players should expect trouble, but I'd keep things fair so as to make a fun story.

I think that being public about being force-sensitive is the easiest way to annoy the Empire and can lead to all sorts of trouble, and while I wouldn't overdo it I'd make sure a player knows what it might entail.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The dice app got an update and a re-release on Google Play for Android. It's pretty swank. I'm going to let my players have the physical dice and do my rolling on my tablet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is the dice app really worth five bucks? That seems absurdly high.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's probably overpriced but it's at least a lot fancier than I expected it to be. It has 3D animations for the dice rolling, you can drag them around on the "table", reroll individuals, delete them, change them, etc..

I have a fanmade WFRP 3E dice roller and it just has sliders, a roll button, and a list for the results. I was expecting something more along those lines. It would have been less flashy but faster to use. But at least they put a whole bunch of effort into it that makes the price point a little more understandable.

It remains to be seen if it will drive me nuts in practice.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
You can also add any of the standard RPG dice to it, as well as Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures dice. Its pretty nice, and it makes spiffy Star Wars sounds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It would be nice if you got the app with a pre-order for the physical dice.

• Locked thread