Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
It sounds like the GMs are coming up with advantages in your games but that shouldn't be the case.

Players narrate their advantages, GMs narrate the disadvantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Looselybased posted:

I guess what I'm wondering is if the PC says "Oh sweet, I rolled two advantage," does the GM have the chance to say something like "then you successfully trip the Trandoshan after hitting him in the face" or is it just player choice on what happens?

If the player is trying to trip the Trandoshan, then advantage/disadvantage doesn't play into it. It's just, "yup, got the successes. You tripped him."

Here is a better example.

Player "I'm going to push over these hypercrates to block the oncoming storm troopers."
GM throws down 2 difficulty dice because knocking over hypercrates is average difficulty.
The player looks over his skill list, picks out brawl, and so rolls a proficiency die, 3 ability die, and the 2 difficulty die.
In a stroke of terrible luck, the player gets less successes than failures.
GM: "Bad luck! You didn't trip the storm troopers."
Player: "But I did get advantage. The storm troopers are tripped!"
GM: "Yes, and they'd need to take a movement to stand up next turn."

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
There is a pretty significant oversight in the included adventure. People are being stupid defensive about it over in the Fantasy Flight forums, but if you aren't thinking on your feet and reading ahead as a GM there won't be a hook to move players from one location to the next and you'll have to seriously railroad them. The encounters, especially the first few, are designed to gradually introduce concepts, so it is somewhat important players go through them. But until this point the adventure is at least dropping obvious breadcrumbs.

Spoilers ahead of the issue and a fix:

To get the not-Melenium Falcon out of the docking bay, you have to release the docking clamps in the Command & Control Center (Encounter 4). But this isn't mentioned anywhere previously. It's just, "players get the hyperspace module. okay, now move them to the Command & Control center." People are being idiots saying the adventure is intended to be a railroad, and it is mostly up to this point, but also players are given very clear direction to move from encounter 1 to 2 to 3.

Here's a fix. At the end of Encounter 3, somehow mention that Trex has a history of forgetting to go through Command & Control. The junk shop dealer can say this, or players can overhear this as they leave or find a recording or something. That should be enough prompting to get them to the right encounter (so you can introduce the next batch of game concepts) without just teleporting them there (because this isn't Star Trek).

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mortanis posted:

An Advantage isn't a success. You're allowing it to happen anyway, even though they failed to get more successes than failures, by more or less allowing them to buy the victory with Advantage? I get using the "Yes, and" method of game play, but turning a fail into a success because of Advantage when an Advantage isn't a success doesn't sit well with me. I'd have probably taken the player's "they're tripped" and said that they aren't tripped so much as stumble while attempting to dodge the attack, granting a Boost die to the next player in the initiative to attack them.

Eh, that depends on what the mechanical benefits are of successfully blocking the passageway. Storm troopers are brutal in packs. Failing to stop a group of storm troopers from shooting at you is a hell of a negative consequence for the starter adventure. Allowing a player to get one movement away from them is an advantage, sure, but I wouldn't say it's a success...

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
It honestly sounds exhausting to gm the games you're describing. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the player knows what they're trying to do and their character abilities better than anyone else. As a gm, why constantly try to guess at what the players are trying to do when they can just tell you themselves?

Speaking of not knowing skills, yeah, I meant to type athletics into the example. A player trying to brawl up hindrance would need scrubs, not hypercrates.

As for turning a failure into a success, I think it's a matter of differences in style at this point. The player is trying to hamper storm troopers, who are incredible loving shots, for a turn. They fail, but are able to move away 1. That's honestly less mechanically advantageous than giving the storm troopers a black die next turn.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 3, 2013

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
That's a great way to frame it.

I think I came off as antagonistic above and I didn't mean to. I am genuinely curious why it seems some people who have run the game are hesitant to let players narrate their advantages. Even though I think that contradicts the rules, I don't think it's necessarily wrong.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
It's on the top of page 13 of the beginner's adventure booklet. Not sure about the beginner's rules book.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
The players aren't making all of the rolls, but even on opposed rolls the dice give you enough room for interpretation to be able to advance the story in a compelling way. There's no reason to not roll in the open.

But screens are actively unhelpful in this system. Unless you have buckets full of the custom dice, constantly handing that poo poo over a gm screen sounds awkward and dumb and a recipe for spilt beer.

I think file folders or portfolios work far better in general. There's little reason for the cheat sheets found on the backs of most gm screens to not be just out in the open, and it's nice to be able to take your notes with you when you're playing set piece encounters, taking a break, etc.

Maybe I can find a Star Wars Trapper Keeper on ebay...

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
The one thing I like about gm screens is that they can help set the mood of the game.

This is Star Wars table top. What better way to set the mood of childhood pulp and nostalgia and honestly the ewoks were totally different and better than Jar Jar, then a motherfucking Trapper Keeper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

VanSandman posted:

Getting a cardboard tube and waving it around while going "whummm, whummm, kshh! whumm," like a lightsaber?
The John Williams soundtrack?

No jedi in the starter adventure. :smith:

• Locked thread