Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I picked up the Beginner Game. It's really, really nice, probably the nicest intro game I've ever seen. I really want to run this for my guys now, I just can't see a way of doing it online :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Traveller posted:

So I see the dice are d6s, d8s and d12s with funky symbols on them. Couldn't you write a simple table to allow game to proceed with regular dice, i.e. for ability dice, you would have something like "1 - nothing, 2-3 one success, 4-5 one advantage, 6 two successes, 7 two advantages, 8 one success and one advantage"? Agree on something like that and you could play by post, IRC or what have you.

Sure you could. But that would be incredibly tedious.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Wow, that is awesome. I am gonna push the Roll20 guys to make something like that.

Mind sharing a template for that Google Doc?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, we used Maptool for years, but it is so unwieldy and my guys can't manage their Java installs to save their lives.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The Darkstryder campaign was really neat for its time.

Dawn of Defiance was really neat in Saga edition, but suffered from the problems that Saga suffered from regarding leveling up and difficulty curves.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Looselybased posted:

Awesome. That's just right around the corner. I definitely could use that GM screen!

Fantasy Flight is well known for sticking to deadlines.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am really looking forward to seeing some "old school" adventures where Jedis are rare and stormtroopers are horrible shots.

Stormtroopers in the Beginner Game are really loving dangerous.

edit: the GM screen I have for D6 (apparently really rare and worth a ton) has a panel for character templates for PCs :downs:

alg fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 16, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It would be nice if you got the app with a pre-order for the physical dice.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

The sounds are driving me batshit, I had to turn them off. I also wish it did computation of results for you, just giving me the net results would be aces.

The update should do that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

holy moly, Roll20 is adding build your own dice support :swoon: This game just became possible outside of Maptools.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Roll20 now has rollable tables with images. I imported Rumble's maptool images and I can now roll Star Wars dice :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

How do you set this up? I am trying to set it up and feeling a lot like grandpa trying to find his email.

You need access to dev server, there is a tables icon on the top right that looks like 3 bars.

I dragged the images in from Rumble's zip file.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

Well, hooray, I feel less stupid now but boo, since I was not a KS backer I can't do it. So it goes.

You don't have to be a backer, I just do the mentor thing that is $10 a month. Splitting it with my group is cheap as gently caress.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

we need a :ffg: emote. :negative:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FFG is releasing a Star Wars adventure for Free RPG Day! http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4095

I hope the cover is better than that. Their 40K releases have been really good for FRD in the past.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Oh no I just want something else for this little adventure since we've seen it for over a year.

They usually put the pdfs up after Free RPG Day.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Enjoy Free RPG Day, Goons :guinness:

One question I have looking through my beginner game / beta / Shadows of a Black Sun, is there any way for a player to dodge? Or is hitting based on rolling your own skill like in the 40k RPGs and not the defender's ability?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I really hope they stick with the summaries attached to NPC features in the future.

Saga was a good game but it was tedious to look up every feat/Force ability on an NPC's stat block.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

So this apparently comes out this week.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4222

alg
Mar 14, 2007

My store said I should have it today, but I didn't really read much of the beta.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Good lord this is a giant book. I can look up specific stuff for y'all if you want. The Gamemaster kit is really nice, too. The screen looks excellent and has a ton of good info. It comes with an adventure and a guide to creating nemesis enemies.

They have rules for bipods and bowcaster auto cockers :stare:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Mendrian posted:

Is the Streetsmarts talent still present in the Force Sensitive Exile tree? Does it still remove Setback dice from Streetwise and Knowledge:Underworld checks? If so how much does it cost?

This is critical.

Yes. Costs 20

alg
Mar 14, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

Is it only in there once, though?

There are two street smarts talents for that class.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

New supplement announced, focusing on the Explorer career. Looks like they'll be doing career-specific supplements.

Points of note:
  • 3 new specializations within explorer
  • Signature abilities, which seem to be career-exclusive 6th row talents
  • Extra gear including the blaster sniper rifle and some new vehicles

This is actually really cool, assuming it is < $20.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

There is actually a much better tool already. Works great.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

This wookiee owns

alg
Mar 14, 2007

45 bucks ain't too much for a really, really nice book that will last forever. There really isn't that much GM stuff in the main book, I can see why they wouldn't want to split the books up. Trying to get people to buy a separate GM book in this day and age must be tough.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

edit: poo poo.

alg fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 22, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Blaster pistols are also not outlawed on most worlds. At least, in the fluff.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Attacks of Opportunity slow down gameplay and aren't very cinematic (they weren't in the movies).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

I thought the original scene involving Han Solo was an attack of opportunity.

That was winning initiative :cool:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Map pack with EotE stuff:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fpy06sftptpj7sl

alg
Mar 14, 2007

yes YES YES

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Beta feedback is due in October of 2013. I wonder if they have fastracked this book for winter release?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, yeah. Fantasy Flight. Wishful thinking :( I wish they had released Rebels first.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

So force sensitives. How do they work out in play?

By my calculations, it costs about the same as a stat point to become a Force Sensitive - and it gives you access to a drat good talent tree and some useful powers, with one of the three disciplines being passive and coincidental and a second being coincidental. Which feels to me as if they are about right?

And trying to create my first character, you only get 500 credits for all your kit? Yes, I see how the Rebels could be stronger. Mechanics really struggle IMO with so little starting cash.

In a game like Star Wars where you can buy most things you want, because magic items aren't the carrot, it's important to start the characters with very little, especially if they are scum types who are motivated by money.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm in the skills chapter right now. Is there anything in this game about secret checks? Like if I want to do Perception to see if my players notice something, but without them knowing I'm rolling the check.

Edit: Also wouldn't mind a font for the dice symbols, if anyone has it.

edit2: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/76059-can-we-make-the-swrpgicons-font-available/

alg fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 23, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The Free RPG Day adventure is up:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4328

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Wow, FFG is going all in. Another new book announcement about a Corellian sector sourcebok.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4350

I just picked up Beyond the Rim today, the production values are incredible. FFG can just take my paychecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm in the process of trying to write an article about the system as it exist now: Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion Beta. While I haven't gotten to the actual "writing" portion yet, because I'm prepping a play test, I want to vent a little bit about the game and FF in general. Mostly I want to complain about the dice.

I absolutely hate, hate, hate custom dice. I intially forgave Fantasy Flight for this after I started reading the book. It does seem, on paper, that their dice pool system is pretty cool and conducive to a cinematic, narrative driven gameplay; however, I'm still a dice snob. I try not to use anything other than gamescience dice--I like rolls to be really random.

Again, I recognize--most players don't give a poo poo--so I try not to hold it against Fantasy Flight, until I actually buy the dice. $13 for a completely separate set of D6s, D8s, and D12s. First thing I notice is I am paying a gamescience price for the amount of dice you get in each package without the actual benefit of having high quality percision dice. Okay, fine... a little pricey, but most people don't give a poo poo...

The thing is though you don't get enough dice to really handle anything according to their rules. So if you want to use their "special" dice, you'll be ordering at least 3 sets of them. Your other option is the Star Wars dice app for android or for iOS. This is a pretty limited dice app, that looks okay, for $4.99. Really? Great, I get a dice rolling app (which means its not really random) only capable of handling the rolls for Fantasy Flight's Star Wars games at a higher cost than most full featured dice rolling/game toolkit apps.

The of course, there is the fact they charge you money for their BETA releases... (hint: if you are charging $20 for a product, it isn't in BETA. It's a released game that you intend on rebinding in a more expensive book. A more expensive book that you know most of the players who plopped down $20 or more for your BETA initial release will probably buy, thus allowing you "to doubledip" at their expense)

And yes, I realize that I can just use my old dice and their handy chart; but this is time consuming and it breaks emersion when you have to say, "hold on, lets compare your roll to a chart, then add it up." What make it worse, for me anyway, is that I have the feeling that they've made using your own dice difficult intentionally.

This kind of poo poo really reinforces my love/hate relationship with Fantasy Flight. They make some great games, but they're one of the only companies that I've interacted with in this industry where I really feel like the primary goal in product design and management is to maximize the amount of money they can milk from gamers. Seriously, they're a small company and they have a creepier, "we don't give a gently caress about you, we just want your money" vibe than Wizard's does.

On the other hand, you can buy every Netrunner or Star Wars LCG card you need to play competitively for just the cost of playing one expansion's worth of competitive Magic.

Fantasy Flight makes the highest quality products in the biz right now. They certainly take their time and I think the dice are really fun but I can see how they might turn some people off. I was with you until you got to the Gamescience poo poo. Talk about milking gamers.

Edit: not to mention GW.

alg fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 16, 2013

• Locked thread