Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

fosborb posted:

There is a pretty significant oversight in the included adventure. People are being stupid defensive about it over in the Fantasy Flight forums, but if you aren't thinking on your feet and reading ahead as a GM there won't be a hook to move players from one location to the next and you'll have to seriously railroad them. The encounters, especially the first few, are designed to gradually introduce concepts, so it is somewhat important players go through them. But until this point the adventure is at least dropping obvious breadcrumbs.

Spoilers ahead of the issue and a fix:

To get the not-Melenium Falcon out of the docking bay, you have to release the docking clamps in the Command & Control Center (Encounter 4). But this isn't mentioned anywhere previously. It's just, "players get the hyperspace module. okay, now move them to the Command & Control center." People are being idiots saying the adventure is intended to be a railroad, and it is mostly up to this point, but also players are given very clear direction to move from encounter 1 to 2 to 3.

Here's a fix. At the end of Encounter 3, somehow mention that Trex has a history of forgetting to go through Command & Control. The junk shop dealer can say this, or players can overhear this as they leave or find a recording or something. That should be enough prompting to get them to the right encounter (so you can introduce the next batch of game concepts) without just teleporting them there (because this isn't Star Trek).

I absolutely hated the exposition-fest that was the Devaronian bartender, so I had him just mention something about how he always knows when Trex's ship is in town because all of Teemo's thugs come out in force. I let my players off the railroad pretty much here, so they got to explore a bit. They rented a dewback to help carry the hypertoomanywords forone itemthingie, it seemed to work well.

Here's how I took care of the issue you mentioned for the game I just ran: I let my players go straight to Landing Bay Aurek after they bought the part, so they got to see the lay of the land, the security droids, get salivating a little for the ship, etc. They got to see the docking clamps were still attached, and I put a couple of mechanics near the entrance. They asked the mechanics how to get the clamps off, then they went to the starport control center.

The encounters were way too easy with four players, though. I tweaked the encounters as we went, numbers-wise, but I'm going to definitely need to crank it up a little bit next session. As we left it, Lowhhrick, Mathus, Sasha, and Oskara just bound Trex up in his own ship after taking minor damage from his claws, found the wookiee pelts in the cargo hold, and lifted the boarding ramp to take off. Hopefully space combat goes well next time!

Two of the highlights of the evening for me: (1) While in the cantina, Mathus chucked a bottle of booze at a Gamorrean. It missed, but several advantages got the bottle to shatter and spill into a puddle at the pig's feet. Next round, Oskara unloaded on the puddle, setting him ablaze with a huge purple flame. (2) They got Trex to retreat onto his ship, and it became a bit of hide and seek as Trex taunted them over the intercom. Boobytrapped cockpit, explosives rolled out at them, some tense athletics and vigilance checks. Really fun!

Has anyone run the Long Arm of the Hutt adventure yet? I'd love to hear any tweaks people found helpful/fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
The only thing I had a problem with advantage/threat-wise was the 3 advantage to disarm an enemy. I lean towards asking my players to tell me where they're aiming on the target so that we can tailor narrative and mechanistic effects of rolls a little more. Otherwise, I worry that most combat encounters will have characters spend significant periods of time running to and picking up their blasters. Crit injuries are nice, but disarming is pretty powerful.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

rolling 3 advantages after any threat is accounted for is not very common. There are only 4 of 8 faces that have advantages on the ability die, where there are 5 of 8 faces that contain threat. remember they cancel each other out.

at medium range the difficulty is 2, and the average for dice on a newer character will only be 2 Ability (d8) 1 Proficiency (d12)

On average, yes. But Oskara's Blaster Carbine is 2 ability, 2 proficiency. At short range, with just 1 difficulty die, she's a disarming machine. Lowhhrick's Vibro-axe and fists are 3 ability, 1 proficiency. My players certainly rolled well, but as the system is written, here's a situation that is pretty easy to set up: Mathus shoots a guy, gets one advantage, adds a boost die to the next attack against that guy. Oskara uses one maneuver to move from medium to close range with the target, 2 strain to aim at him, action to shoot the blaster carbine. She rolls 2 ability, 2 proficiency, 2 boost against 1 difficulty. Even if I upgrade the difficulty to a challenge, they can still upgrade an ability to a proficiency. Easy, easy rolls possible on most turns by any pair of characters within medium range of someone else.

fosborb posted:

It's on the top of page 13 of the beginner's adventure booklet. Not sure about the beginner's rules book.

It has that at the bottom of page 12 in my beginner's adventure booklet, and pages 14-15 of the beginner's rulebook doesn't distinguish between NPC and PC characters as far as all combat rules. That includes successes contributing to additional damage.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

Also, in case anyone didn't know, there are two additional pre-generated characters and another 5+ sessions worth of adventures continuing the beginner game storyline on FFG's site. My group chose Mathus and Sasha over Pash and 41-VEX, and I'll be starting Long Arm of the Hutt Act 1 on Wednesday.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

LordLobo posted:

there are also two more character folios on the FFG site.

I wish there were pdfs of all the character folios though - I'd love to print these out for more beginners so they could write on them. Or maybe at-least b&w versions of the character and talent tree sheets

I made pdfs of all of them, more to fix the errors in Lowhhrick's and Pash's folios than for future playthroughs. I don't know if it would be acceptable for me to post them here, though, since FFG hasn't made them available outside the set yet. If it's fine, I'm happy to post them.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

Oh poo poo yeah! The challenge die in my set came with no paint on one face, so I sent one of those "missing or damaged components" things in to FFG. I just received a whole new set of dice from them. Well done, FFG.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

Wow you do realize that one of the faces are supposed to be blank right?

Yes. One of the clues to that was that every single die in the box (except the force die) has a blank face. One of my challenge die's two-threat faces has no paint in the icons, and one of its one-threat-one-failure faces has no paint in the threat icon. No paint != blank.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

Forsooth posted:

I own the Beginners Game, but not the full Beta rulebook so I have a few questions about the full game.

1. I have played quite a bit of Saga Edition and I love the ability to multi-class, since I think it is in keeping in line with the films. Does the full game provide rules for multi-classing?

2. I could not see any discernible difference between the different species in the folios. Is there much difference between the different species mechanically, or is it just fluff?

3. The trees in the folios seem rather uninspired, for the most part. Many of the choices just give the character a plus one to some random stat or something equally uninteresting (which is fine in a tutorial, but would get rather old in a full length campaign). Does the full rulebook have some more interesting talent choices?

1. Yup. There are careers and specializations. Career is Bounty Hunter/Smuggler/Hired Gun/etc. Each career has 3 specializations (e.g., Bounty Hunters can be Assassins, Gadgeteers, or Survivalists). Each character can have up to three specialization trees. To take another specialization tree from your existing career, you pay 10xp * the number of specializations you would have with the new one added. So if you're an Assassin, you can buy the Gadgeteer specialization for 20xp. If you want to buy a specialization outside your career, it's an extra 10xp on top of that cost. Force sensitivity works like within-career, so no extra 10xp.

2. Species have different starting stats, including primary stats, wound threshold, strain threshold, XP, and skills. Some species also have special abilities, like Trandoshan regeneration and claws, or Wookiee rage.

3. Sort of steps on my answering the previous questions, but download the reference sheets to see them all.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

The only tough thing about it is making the adventure hard enough for five, since it's so easy with four. Don't be shy about throwing extra dudes in, or making minion groups larger. When I ran my first 4p group through as written, they made it all the way to the first Nemesis enemy without a single wound. It was fine for them that way, but other groups aren't so happy when they feel like they're never in any danger.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

yep, that is correct. The weapon itself has a 'stun setting' takes a maneuver to switch to, Ssorku leaves his on stun be default. Which makes sense as he is a slaver.
Switching stun setting on a weapon is an free action/incidental, not a maneuver. Beta rulebook says so on page 109, as do the character folios for the beginner game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bionic
May 6, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

http://www.warpathgames.com/wholesale/warpath.php?m=detail&p=91575
MSRP $14.95
I can provide them for $8.55 plus shipping.

They are not due out until April though, along with the Corebook, and the GM kit, which seems to just be a screen.

From the announcement page:

"The Star Wars®: Edge of the Empire™ Game Master’s Kit includes a GM screen that keeps a host of useful pieces of information right at the GM’s fingertips during gaming sessions. The GM Kit also provides useful information about developing your campaign to challenge your players with worthy nemeses, and it includes another complete adventure to carry players beyond the events of the adventure in the Core Rulebook."

• Locked thread