Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Winson_Paine posted:

Is there any other online roller? Skypegaming is my probable venue for this and the dice are sort of a deal breaker.

Certainly it won't take long for someone to make a web-based roller. WFRP3E has several, so if this game catches on there will very likely be options in short order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I picked up the Beginner's Set because I wanted to see how FF did the mechanics and I figured that a couple session's worth of play (counting the free extra content online) and the dice were worth the price. I don't know how keen I am on Star Wars as an RPG setting but I'm pretty pleased with the contents of the set. It's readily apparent that EotE is a slimmed-down and cleaned-up version of WFRP 3E, which is definitely a good thing. I'm looking forward to running it.

Edit: I asked one of my buddies to guess what the races and jobs were for the 4 included characters. Not to knock Star Wars but I had a feeling that it wouldn't be a hard guess. He guessed 2 humans, a Twi'Lek, and a Wookiee, and that there would be a Jedi, a smuggler, a bounty hunter, and "something else." :haw:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 3, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Huh, I went through the rules and it didn't specify who gets to choose what Advantages/Threats/Triumphs/Despairs are spent on. In WFRP 3E, the equivalents of those are spent by the owner of the character who rolled them if they are beneficial. If the symbols are negative, the GM spends them if they're rolled by a player character, and by a player if the GM rolls them.

But WFRP 3E has the advantage (heh) of having the effects heavily codified in the rules text of the action cards (all actions you can take, and there are a fuckton of them, are printed on reminder cards) which means that there's absolutely no argument about what they do in a given situation as long as it involves an action. The harcover Player's Guide has rules for "freestyling" the positive and negative symbols similar to the suggestions that Edge of the Empire offers, but only for situations where you're doing a roll without an associated action card.

So anyways, as written it looks like the intent of Edge of the Empire's rules is for the GM to use the Advantages/Triumphs/Threats/Despairs as a narrative tool. i.e. "you miss but the shot hits a piece of equipment and causes to it explode, startling the enemies" or "you succeed in epically jumpkicking the stormtrooper but you fail to stick the landing and fall on your face" or somesuch.

I don't see any harm in doing it WFRP 3E style though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wikipedia Brown posted:

The Beta rules explicitly state that the player chooses how to spend advantages and the GM does threat. (If you're just looking at the Beginner's Game, it may not specify, so you're not blind or crazy.)

So, the player will choose if they want to get a critical hit, an extra maneuver or recover strain, etc. That covers the mechanical side of things, but in terms of describing just what happened in the world to impart that extra effect, there's wiggle room. That's where I'd personally be happy for the player to narrate it if they have a good mental image, but as the GM, I could take over that part.

Okay, so the Beginner's Game must omit some of the explanation. I guess they've thought of everything but kept it trimmed down a little for space.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It doesn't look like the Android dice app is for sale anymore. The link on Fantasy Flight's website is broken. It's not listed under Fantasy Flight Games' product list and a search for it doesn't reveal it either.

I hope this is only temporary. I'd like to have it because I'm kind of a germophobe and don't like touching things (like dice) that other people have touched. I wouldn't mind having the roller on my tablet (along with sound effects and the Star Wars sound track as aids) while my non-germophobe players share the physical dice.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I didn't have enough players show up to continue my regular BattleTech campaign so we pulled out the Beginner Game. I GMed and I had 2 PCs - not as many as I would like but it was still a lot of fun. I had read through the included adventure and I did my best to make it less railroady.

I don't think they beat the adventure the way in which it was intended.

My players chose Pash and 41-VEX. In the Cantina, they chose to duck into a booth together. Pash succeeded with his stealth roll, 41-VEX did not. Since they were in the same booth, I ruled that the Gamorreans managed to make out 41-VEX's glowing bits in the darkness and of course saw Pash next to him upon closer examination. In the fight the players rolled an incredible nubmer of threats, which resulted in a few overpenetrating shots destroying booze behind the bar or blowing holes in tables. They won but I played the bartender as being incredibly pissed... until Pash handed him a wad of Credits at which point he decided to be a lot more helpful.

Being all business, the PCs went straight to the junk shop. They successfully convinced the owner that they were sent by Trex to pick up the Hypermatter-whatsit. I couldn't find the price that Trex had promised to pay, so I set it to 500 based on the increased price that you can negotiate with him to buy it instead.

At this point the players chose to split up - 41-VEX went to the landing bay with the part and Pash went to the control tower. Pash successfully managed to lie about being Trex's hired pilot to both the droid guards AND Overseer Brynn. Both of them were very sceptical about the lack of a "Pash" on the list, but he succeeded in his Deceit rolls. Meanwhile, 41-VEX managed to convince Trex that he was sent to install the part. He succeeded in the deceit roll and was let on board by a Trex who was pleased to finally have a way off this craphole.

Pash left to join up with 41-VEX and succeeded in a stealth roll to get past the stormtrooper patrols without being spotted. I let him do this since there was no way a fight with them would have ended well. Upon arrival at the docking bay, Pash told the guards that he was one of Teemo's minions come to speak with Trex. Trex came out to meet him and succeeded in a Perception roll to realize that he remembered what the random minion in question looked like and that Pash definitely did not look like him. Pash drew on him and shot which forced Trex to retreat into his ship.

Pash managed to make it up the ramp and close just short of the security droids reaching it, all while Trex was wailing on 41-VEX with his claws. One of 41-VEX's shots missed with a big number of threats so I ruled that a panel got hit behind Trex and filled the immediate area with obscuring smoke which further made Pash helping out 41-VEX difficult. In the end they defeated Trex without anyone getting knocked out - though they weren't in amazing shape.

Now the fight with the TIE fighters got a little weird. I decided to run with whatever the players wanted to do but with an appropriate level of difficulty and a bunch of Setback dice. 41-VEX installed the hypermatter-whatsit with enough successes to ensure an escape in 4 rounds. Pash did some very, very ill advised moves... and managed to succeed.

He wanted to try to rip the side panel off of one of the TIE Fighters with the hooked part on the front of the YT-1300. He succeeded with enough Threats to deal a bunch of accidental damage to his own ship. His next move was to trap the "ball" of the second fighter in the same area and sit there with it trapped until the hyperdrive came online. Not only did he succeed in that roll, but the TIE Fighter pilot failed his own rolls to try to break free.

THe Krayt's Fang was almost destroyed in the end but it managed to escape.

We also ran the first portion of the first act of Long Arm of the Hutt. They used the wampa skin carpet to wipe up after Trex's messy eating and took a while after that to discover the real source of the bad smell :cry:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

For some reason I haven't enjoyed this as much as Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay just yet. I think I just need more time with it, but it feels like I have to relearn some things with it. I thought it was going to be a 1-to-1 translation of the rules, but this just seems to be a mix of WFRP 3rd Edition and WFRP 2nd/40k RPGs. The d10 requirement threw me off and kind of bugs me that they didn't have some sort of system like WFRP did to resolve crits or whatever.

I had a chance to look at a friend's copy of the Beta rules and the D100 tables surprised me, considering how simply critical hits were resolved in the Beginner Game. But it isn't so far off from WFRP 3E - the Player's Guide let you use a D100 roll for various things instead of drawing cards. I do like WFRP 3E but fewer doodads to have to carry around is nice.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Looselybased posted:

Haha you're a really easy going GM! Putting up with a split party, crazy ideas and then crazier ideas... Sounds like a fun game. I would have blown up their ship though. Seriously, ramming BOTH tie fighters?

To be honest I was going to punish them harshly if they failed any single one of their rolls - they just managed to succeed even with what I felt were suitable difficulties and Setback dice. They took like 10 points of hull damage JUST from impacts with the TIEs, though, and that was with successes.

Just based on that session, it felt to me like overall success but with a large number of Threats were the most common outcomes.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Forsooth posted:

That certainly helps answer all my previous questions. I only have one last niggling concern about the system: Why the gently caress did they divide initiative into two separate skills? It seems like that could actively discourage some character types from planning ahead since they may actually get a lower initiative roll for doing so. Has anyone experienced problems with this, or does it somehow work in game?

It really seemed like they should have just stuck with a single attribute for determining initiative, with added Boost/Setback dice if prepared/surprised. That's how WFRP 3E works.

Or even use your best of the two skills if prepared, worst if surprised.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My solution for having to pass the dice around the screen is to buy the roller app for Android if they ever rerelease it. (they pulled it because the Google Play web interface was altered and they haven't gotten one of their IT people to figure it out yet)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I appreciate that they put in force-sensitive as an option but I don't think it will come up very much in games I run. I kind of see it as being similar to how witches are handled in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - second edition had a note saying to think hard about choosing it as a career because it can cause very awful things to happen to you.

Yeah, the moment the Empire finds out you're force sensitive, bad things will start to happen.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

homullus posted:

On the other hand, if you weren't in the middle of things and were more, you know, on "the edge of the Empire" (to coin a totally new phrase), then maybe being Force-sensitive is balanced in-game.

What you think there's no Imperial presence there? Even when the beginner adventure featured Stormtroopers landing in your little backwater town just to help the friendly local crime lord off you?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

homullus posted:

I think if a GM wants to run a campaign with a whole party full of Force-sensitives like they were the Dukes of Kashyyyk (complete with Rebellion-logo-emblazoned General Lee landspeeder that plays Dixie when it rolls into town) then that is ok. It is on the Edge of the Empire.

I never said anything about it being unbalanced( I'm sure it's fine knowing Fantasy Flight) or people not being allowed to do what they want. I only said that I think it provides tons of hooks for people with ill intentions to be after any character who goes that route if they're too open about it. I'm sure you think repeating the game's name over and over is real entertaining though

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't play an adversarial game with my players and in fact I may be too permissive (see my summary of how the beginner adventure turned out earlier in this thread) but it's certainly not going to be a hugbox. I mean after all, the players are playing as criminals, bounty hunters, mercenaries, outcasts, thrillseekers, and outspoken political activists (in a universe with the most oppressive government ever that is also led by a space wizard.) The players should expect trouble, but I'd keep things fair so as to make a fun story.

I think that being public about being force-sensitive is the easiest way to annoy the Empire and can lead to all sorts of trouble, and while I wouldn't overdo it I'd make sure a player knows what it might entail.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The dice app got an update and a re-release on Google Play for Android. It's pretty swank. I'm going to let my players have the physical dice and do my rolling on my tablet.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's probably overpriced but it's at least a lot fancier than I expected it to be. It has 3D animations for the dice rolling, you can drag them around on the "table", reroll individuals, delete them, change them, etc..

I have a fanmade WFRP 3E dice roller and it just has sliders, a roll button, and a list for the results. I was expecting something more along those lines. It would have been less flashy but faster to use. But at least they put a whole bunch of effort into it that makes the price point a little more understandable.

It remains to be seen if it will drive me nuts in practice.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

alg posted:

The update should do that.

No, the update shows the results without cancellations. Apparently before it didn't even have that much :stare:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rugpisser posted:

Question regarding the minion group of stormtroopers in Beginner Box.

Basically do the 2 groups of 3 troopers make 2 attacks or 6? The phrasing in the sidebar regarding their health I understand but the action and maneuver phrasing I am not sure about.

Minion groups do one attack but do it with an effective skill based on how many members of the group are alive.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You can probably give up right now if you think that the only way to have fun with Star Wars smugglers/criminals/politicians/doctors is if they can do flying backflip kung-fu and fling fireballs and such - because they definitely don't do any of that. However it might be worth a continued look if you can figure out that you can tell a good story without everything being a crazy martial arts move or magical spell or whatever.

Edit: I was being hella snarky but seriously if the setting, races, and classes don't excite you then it might not be for you and your group.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 26, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Grit is actually really boring and really overused among the talent trees (seriously, it comes up way too much) but most of the interesting things your characters can do are related to skills not talents. Many of the talents make your skills better in certain circumstances or let you do more with them, but they're for the most part in support of your skills.

Depending on what system you're coming from it might be a bit of a tough transition because many systems either lack a skill system or have a poorly-implemented system that is much maligned by players (like the D&D series), but in Edge of the Empire the skills are where your ability to do cool poo poo comes from.

And as Winson said it's a completely different structure of game in any case so there's a little more work on the GM to figure out how skills end up doing cool poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

alg posted:

FFG is releasing a Star Wars adventure for Free RPG Day! http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4095

I hope the cover is better than that. Their 40K releases have been really good for FRD in the past.

The Han and Chewie thing? I hope you don't hate it too much because it's going to be on the cover of the core rulebook with a different background.

• Locked thread