Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

homullus posted:

There IS a MapTool framework for playing WFRP3e online, and it also uses custom dice. So it can happen.

Is there any other online roller? Skypegaming is my probable venue for this and the dice are sort of a deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Traveller posted:

So I see the dice are d6s, d8s and d12s with funky symbols on them. Couldn't you write a simple table to allow game to proceed with regular dice, i.e. for ability dice, you would have something like "1 - nothing, 2-3 one success, 4-5 one advantage, 6 two successes, 7 two advantages, 8 one success and one advantage"? Agree on something like that and you could play by post, IRC or what have you.

This exists, it is just rear end backwards and tedious in process.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

fosborb posted:

Maybe I can find a Star Wars Trapper Keeper on ebay...

If you are gonna go that route just get a cheap binder from Staples or whatever and print out SCENES OF STAR WARS or game info or whatever and stick it in the inserts.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

BattleMaster posted:

It's probably overpriced but it's at least a lot fancier than I expected it to be. It has 3D animations for the dice rolling, you can drag them around on the "table", reroll individuals, delete them, change them, etc..

I have a fanmade WFRP 3E dice roller and it just has sliders, a roll button, and a list for the results. I was expecting something more along those lines. It would have been less flashy but faster to use. But at least they put a whole bunch of effort into it that makes the price point a little more understandable.

It remains to be seen if it will drive me nuts in practice.

The sounds are driving me batshit, I had to turn them off. I also wish it did computation of results for you, just giving me the net results would be aces.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

BattleMaster posted:

No, the update shows the results without cancellations. Apparently before it didn't even have that much :stare:

Yeah, reading the results off the little screen was super irritating. Updating now, huzzah.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Talkc posted:

So i looked over character creation tonight and something has me mystified.

The only listing for starting gear or currency seems to state you have 500 credits to start. Now you can get up to 3000 to start if you take heavy obligations.
But then you fall into the trap of being burdened with a hell of a lot of that. And if everyone in the party takes that the whole party can quickly exceed 100 on obligation ( if you have 4 people ).

My problem with this, is a bounty hunter or hired gun with no additional obligations starts off with 500 credits. And holdout pistols ( which i read as the crappy derringer of pistols ) are 300 credits. Any decent weapon for those classes is much much much more expensive.

Is the point of starting out as a party to literally start with nothing?

Cause on the one hand it lists the group can start with a ship. Which to me is a huge expensive item.

But on the other 500 scrap for the basics?

Am i missing something here? Is there starting gear i havent found listed?

I dont usually have a problem with starting out very basic on items and stuff, but it seems more the game intends for you to start with a complication and nothing, or start with HUGE complications and the basics.

Gear has never really been a feature in the Star Wars games, except maybe for SWd20 where it suffered from the usual d20 issues. In d6 you pretty much got your blaster and a datapad and then it pushed you out the door. This sometimes led to early adventures being pack rat style shenanigans where the cargo hold of the ship was filled with junk stolen from here and there or looted suits of armor or whatever.

In other news, my beginner box has finally shipped, I am super jazzed about this.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I have a question since I just have the starter boxed set.

Brawl damage keys off brawn, and can be strain or wound. Fine. If I elect to do strain, does it bypass soak? Does it also mean that the wookiee hired gun (brawn 4) is neigh immune to punching damage since his soak is also 4? That makes a kind of sense, I just want to make sure I am reading this right.

Second question is Critical Hits are TOTALLY ABSTRACTED in the basic box, and as far as I can tell it is neigh impossible to get more than one or two unless you are repeatedly shooting an unconscious body. How do they work in the full game?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I am thinking about trying the four player boxed set crew and two pregenned adventures as a PBP to sort of shake out how to run this on PBP. Would I get any takers from here?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Talkc posted:

I have still to this day never played in a Play By Post. But i would be interested. It would be good to get my feet wet both in this system and in play by post.

DiscipleoftheClaw posted:

Yes, this.

I am unduly excited for the whole book!

jivjov posted:

I'd love to be in on that. I have the beginners box, but haven't been able to assemble enough people in one place to play.

homullus posted:

If you do that, I'll run a (terrible) MapTool one.

OK, I will take you four if you want it. This will more or less be a dry run through the stock Boxed Set adventure and then a followup if it is going well through LONG ARM OF THE HUTT. More or less I want to see if we can hammer out how best to work the whacky dice conventions in a PBP format and how it can be the smoothest. By the time we get done, the full game should be out which will be rad. So who wants what?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sold, I will get the PBP up directly. The tech from the website is a good swap for the droid in general, really.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

OK, my cheap dice solution:

This seems like a good plan, and all of this is about $22 bucks from Amazon for more or less all the dice I will ever need for this game?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

hectorgrey posted:

One question - how do you plan to tell which dice are which? Some different die types use the same number of sides in this game, after all ;).

That is what the multicolored sharpies are for; Difficulty dice are purple sharpie, challenge are red, setback black, etc.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

OK guys, test PBP is up. Let's see how this works!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532688

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Another question - it mentions in the box rules that certain weapons "when triggered" do their thing. Say the Brass Knuckles, which are disorient 3. Do I need to DO anything to trigger, or does socking a guy work for triggerin'?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Ryuujin posted:

Is the only character sheet I have seen.

Dude.

This is two posts up.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Ryuujin posted:

Can a brawling wookie do real damage? Or would he be limited to strain? What I am getting at is would a wookie marauder be able to tear his enemies' limbs off?

You are kinda fixated on limb tearing, but as per the basic boxed set brawl damage does wound or strain at the discretion of the puncher. I dunno what it will look like in the final version. The wookie pregen is a loving beast.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I have been doing it as +1 for every success, which effectively gives everything another damage. I can see either way, really.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

BattleMaster posted:

Edit: I was being hella snarky but seriously if the setting, races, and classes don't excite you then it might not be for you and your group.

I am inclined to agree with you, but it may be fairer to say that SWEOTE is a lot more traditional in the top down "there is a GM to run poo poo and PCs to do poo poo in response" than Dungeon World, which throws a huge heaping helping of narrative import on the players. It is a different style of play entirely, one that is way more traditional or old school or whatever you want to call it. If you are looking for the sort of control over the enviroment and the world and events as a PC that you do in DW, this is probably not your game.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Oh I get that, I just don't mind it. Some times I like a game where I spend XP on petty poo poo like L5R or Warhammer or SWEOTE and other times I like more sweeping changes like Apoc World or whatever. If the latter is what you are looking for, this game is not gonna be your bag. That is not a bad thing or a good thing, it is just a thing.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

alg posted:

his
Roll20 now has rollable tables with images. I imported Rumble's maptool images and I can now roll Star Wars dice :)

How do you set this up? I am trying to set it up and feeling a lot like grandpa trying to find his email.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

alg posted:

You need access to dev server, there is a tables icon on the top right that looks like 3 bars.

I dragged the images in from Rumble's zip file.

Well, hooray, I feel less stupid now but boo, since I was not a KS backer I can't do it. So it goes.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

devilmaydry posted:

Trandoshans wear armor in-universe, I believe.

When it comes to wookies, I think they can wear armor going by EotE rules. You'll just have to either abstract it, or reflavor it to bandoleers or something.

Or, you can have a wookie that wears clothes.

I don't really see why a wookiee couldn't wear armor/clothes? Trandoshans certainly can, Bossk was armored up if I remember my action figures correctly. But as far as wookiees go just because Chewie didn't wear pants doesn't mean you can't.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

There seems to be lively interest in this of late in the PBP section, it can sit on top for March!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

If the individual game promotion/chat could get out of the general thread that would rule. Becoming a chat thread for individual games makes the overall game threads a lot more insular and cliquish than they ought to be, and is best saved for the OOC game thread or the underused PBP peanut gallery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Talkie Toaster posted:

Could anyone with experience playing the system weigh in on how practical it would be to replace the skill list with 13th Age-style backgrounds? Looking at it, there seem to be a lot of defensive uses of skills like Cool, Discipline and Vigilance which initially seem like they'd be awkward to freeform (e.g. "I'll defend against this lie with Cunning 3 and... uh... Nerf Herder 2 because... er... I'm used to people trying to con me?" doesn't need to happen that often to really break flow). Plus, the talent trees are all based on skills and categorising them on the fly might be problematic.

Equally though it seems like most of the time these defenses come up it'd be NPCs using them (so easily set as a flat set of defenses), and the talent trees mostly explain the context for bonuses (pleasant social interaction, hostile social interaction etc.) so it might not be that difficult?

The defensive skills are the other half of the opposed roll so you don't need to sweat it most of the time. It is never a roll off of you vs. someone, it is just one die pool being thrown to go either way. I would actually try the system before dicking with it too much, it is pretty well built in general for what it is and what it does.

• Locked thread