Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Xaander posted:

Does anyone have Age of the Rebellion data for the character generator? My group's about to start a campaign using the beta book and it'd be handy to be able to use the character software for this campaign too - it makes things so easy! Or would that data count as FILES?

My group misunderstood the wound/critical/death rules and it's actually made things more fun at our table. We've been playing where you don't get KO'd when you go over your wound threshold, but you keep taking everything as critical hits and you only get Taken Out if a crit would cause you to be. So our GM's thrown some harder fights at us where we fight tooth and nail to survive, and we come out of it with broken legs (one guy lost his eyes but got them restored shortly after by a double-Triumph medicine roll on my part). It changes the tone of combat a little and gives the GM a lot more wiggle room for fight balance.

I imagine it would be files unless you could prove you have the book. I don't have the info, but if someone is willing to send you the data, I suppose you could send a picture of your SA name with your copy of the book as proof. Then again, I'm not an expert on copyright law and all that.

EDIT:

Tharizdun posted:

Is that not the rule? I've only ever done it that way.

When you go above your wound threshold, your character gets knocked out and they suffer a critical injury. I guess if someone keeps beating at the unconscious person, they'll keep taking wounds, and therefore critical injuries, but they'll otherwise just lay there till they go below their threshold again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Xaander posted:

The software itself is free and gets around Files by telling you to refer to the rulebook for baaasically everything (Ever talent just has its name and the page it's on in the core book).

You can download it here, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It's really handy.

Oh, I thought you wanted someone to export the data with the relevant info from the book, like I've just been spending the past day or so replacing all the Core Rulebook references with the actual info from the book. If you just want the page numbers for Age of Rebellion, redownloading the whole thing should grab the files for it. I know that I did it recently and it's got pretty much everything released so far, as far as I know.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Well, the plan is to attack them. So I'm guessing it's a...no :(

What you should do then is get a vibro-axe and houserule a modification that makes it more functional as a throwing weapon while making it less effective as a melee weapon. You throw that after taking your two maneuvers while still holding onto your melee weapon for maximum space viking. :black101:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

INH5 posted:

Near the end of my last session, a droid PC got shot for a pretty significant amount of damage (6 wounds after a "first aid" Mechanics check to heal a few). So to figure out how to handle this next session, I've been studying the healing rules. And based on that, does anyone else think it's weird how the droid healing rules are almost exactly like the meatbag healing rules with a few minor changes?

The Emergency Repair Patches make perfect sense, but everything else is weird. Droids can heal naturally because of self-repair systems? I guess that makes some sense, but why does it function exactly like meatbag natural healing? The Star Wars universe doesn't have quasi-magical nanobots that can make complex machinery out of sand or whatever (or at least, they aren't standard issue for droids), so shouldn't there be limits to that kind of thing?

Then you have oil baths, which are a routine maintenance thing in the movies and books, but here are exactly like bacta tanks except they work on droids and work twice as fast. Finally, there are Mechanics checks, which work exactly like first aid Medicine checks, and as such can only be done once per encounter, unless I read the book wrong.

What is totally missing from these rules is the scene you would actually expect to see after a droid gets shot up in a battle: a mechanic takes the droid into a workshop with some tools and a pile of spare parts, and spends a few hours repairing the droid the same way, in real life, that you would repair a car. You know, like Chewbacca and C3PO in Empire Strikes Back.

I understand that the intent was to avoid creating disparities between droid and non-droid characters, but it still ends up feeling really strange.

It might feel strange, but go ahead and have your droid player sit out for several hours of game time for mandatory repairs. Their reaction will be the reason why they did it that way.

Edit: I mean, I guess if you want you can roleplay it where the field fixes they're making are only temporary and when the party gets back to their ship/relative safety, the droid goes off to the maintenance bay for more permanent repairs, though I figure that's kind of implied considering even meatsacks would probably have to go back to a med bay for healing after getting shot up.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 5, 2014

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

jivjov posted:

It just still feels asymmetrical to me...you can use obligations with any fringe character, Jedi or no. You give a Duty to anyone in the rebellion, Jedi or no. But you only give Morality to force users. And do you go back and assign a Morality to any force user who used the Emergent tree back in the previous game? Or do you only get one if you're a "Full" force wielder?

Having not seen FaD yet, I can see how morality would play a significantly larger part of a jedi than another character. Like, if a smuggler is a morally good character, it might influence their actions and how they think in situations, but it probably won't be constantly weighing on them as it will a jedi. After all, whether someone is light side or dark side seems to actively change how they appear and what they're capable of, though I'm mostly pulling that from the Knights of the Old Republic games.

• Locked thread