Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I assume there will be mechanical differences between the tiers here too, although not as drastic ones. I wouldn't be surprised to see alternate character generation mechanics, as obligations don't make much sense in a standard Rebellion or Jedi game.

Edit: the introduction to the Beta book also the other games, Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny being standalone titles with an integrated system so I have to assume they're just going full 40k style and using XP bumps in between "tiers".

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There's been a ton of changes. I don't have the link off-hand, but you can go look at the beta errata document to see them all.

I'm not sure how much of it applies to the beginner box, since I believe (I only have the beta) it doesn't have the full character creation rules, but I remember reading that the stuff that falls under general systems changes made it into that printing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The only real hurdle is explaining what the different dice outcomes mean, at least in my experience with the beta. Pretty much everything else is immediately graspable to RPG veterans.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Winson_Paine posted:

OK, my cheap dice solution:

This seems like a good plan, and all of this is about $22 bucks from Amazon for more or less all the dice I will ever need for this game?

This is what I had to do since all the Beta came with was a sticker sheet to put on dice. There's also a dice roller app for your smartphone, that works for the X-Wing minis game too if you're playing that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Winson_Paine posted:

Another question - it mentions in the box rules that certain weapons "when triggered" do their thing. Say the Brass Knuckles, which are disorient 3. Do I need to DO anything to trigger, or does socking a guy work for triggerin'?

You have to spend two advantage to trigger stuff like Disorient or Auto-Fire.

Edit: You spend them on a hit, sorry

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 8, 2013

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sorry, I forgot to look up the unarmed combat rules. In the beta it says if the unarmed attacker decides to do damage to the defender's strain threshold that the damage is still reduced by the defender's soak. The only soak-related errata I can find is that you get to apply your soak individually to each hit if you get nailed with multiple hits in one attack.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PantsOptional posted:

The errata throws that out entirely about Brawl, and the main book section on soak specifies that strain damage ignores soak except on Stun Setting weapons.

The errata says that Brawl is used in unarmed combat, and then unarmed combat says it gets soaked. Fantasy Flight is being Fantasy Flight and putting special soak rules in a section separate from the rest of them. Check page 137.

edit:

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 8, 2013

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You can spend advantage regardless of the success or failure of an action, now that I'm rereading that section. So, for example, if you have those brass knuckles, you could spend your advantage to disorient your target even though you're not able to do any damage to it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Like you get two advantage and hit, you can spend two advantage to disorient. If you get two advantage and no hit, you can't disorient since you have to hit with the weapon to use it, but you can spend advantage on other stuff.

Yeah, this is what I thought initially, but it turns out that the only weapon thing that has to be activated on a successful hit is a critical hit, which makes sense.

This rulebook really, really, really needs a shitload of rules condensing, there are a ton of topics that are split up among two or three sections of the book and it's a total pain in the rear end.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

jivjov posted:

I'm becoming increasing grateful for Cool Stuff Inc splitting my giant order of stuff. Is Fantasy Flight always this bad about release dates? I've heard the jokes, but I thought they were "days or weeks" late, not months.

Fantasy Flight release dates are universally a joke, the big box expansion for the Star Wars LCG is coming out like 2 months late and the smaller ones are running behind as well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Just picked up my copy and holy hell, I wasn't expecting it to be so huge. I knew adding art would increase the page count but I wasn't expecting over 400 pages.

I didn't keep up with the beta errata but it looks like they fixed a fair few things.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Age of Rebellion beta is dropping soon!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4291

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I bought the Edge of the Empire book straight off the FFG website, the Age of Rebellion book just isn't on sale yet.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's no way the full game is out this year both because it's a Fantasy Flight game and because their earlier announcements for the line indicated a yearly core release at best.

But honestly given their track record at hitting deadlines they could put out a press release that says "no really it's going to be out in January 2014" and I'd peg it to like April.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I figure if there's a real power level difference it'll just be like in the 40k games where you can dump XP into a lower-end character to bring it more or less up to par with the higher end ones.

Honestly I don't see why there'd be a huge jump in power levels, though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

And how's the adventure?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

rodbeard posted:

Oh well, in the game I'm in we're certainly not welcome on Corellia any more anyways.

But that's what makes it fun to go there!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Amish Retard posted:

If you really want to be cheap about it you can just put stickers on your fancy dice, I guess.

I had to do this to play the beta since that's all that existed. It sucked :(

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

jivjov posted:

I know the general time frame for this game is the Ep IV-V gap, but I would love an official "New Republic vs Imperial Remnant" book, and maybe even a Yuuzhan Vong sourcebook.

I was going to assume they'll move the timeline up for the third game since there aren't really a lot of Jedi around in the OT, but with the new movies who knows what they can actually do.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Since it isn't mentioned in the OP and only bandied about in the first few pages, has a good set of online tools cropped up for playing this RPG? I would be very interested to try and run this for some friends that are geographically scattered, so good online tools are a must.

Edit: Any reason to buy the Beginner Game and not just go straight to the Core Rules?

The beginner game has dice and some nicely made tokens if you're into tokens. Otherwise no, just grab a set of dice.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I bet sith will get their own RPG, Black Crusade style. Imperials might be in it, but I'd release that as an AoR supplement. Duty works as a mechanic for them so it'd probably be pretty one to one for a conversion.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just give corellians Pilot and a skill choice. Seems to be fair.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm flipping through the beta right now and there are references to the victory at Yavin but none to the defeat at Hoth, at least that I've found.

edit: that said you could use it to run whenever, it's not like there are mechanical difference for pre-hoth and post-hoth.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 20, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Heisters, because heists could end up being either or both of the other two choices at any given time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Thanks all! My group should be very excited to hear this. I have the first core book and plan on picking up the second soon. Any recommendations for supplements to get?

I have all of them and would hesitate to call any of them essential, so just get the ones that will be useful for you at the table. If your players are really into scouts or hired guns, or you're really into corellians, get the applicable book. Otherwise you aren't missing out on a ton.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Narrator posted:

What does come with the GM's kit, apart from the screen? It doesn't have dice, does it? I'm in Australia, trying to find the basic stuff for Edge of the Empire (thinking of picking up the beginner's kit and the core rulebook at least), but everything here is so expensive :smith: $20 for a set a dice if I buy them from EBay, not including shipping :( anyone in Australia have an alternative website that's decent to buy from and won't screw me on shipping?

It's just the screen and an adventure.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

"building your own homestead" sweet, home base building rules are always one of my favorite add-on systems for a given RPG.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mustache Ride posted:

We're talking about Force and Destiny in #sweote on irc.synirc.net. Join us if you want to talk about it too.

Is the beta out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mustache Ride posted:

Tomorrow should be the first day you see copies of the books at GenCon. So no. Its not.

:v:

That's pretty much what I was asking, they haven't actually announced that the beta is at Gencon, to my knowledge.

• Locked thread