Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I hope there's some means of playing the Imperial side too. If the system is so hardwired into making you Luke that you can't have IMPS: The Relentless: The Role-Playing Game, then I might as well just use Hero or GURPS or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Karandras posted:

I chucked this in the GM advice thread but I thought Star Wars players might have a bit more insight or some suggestions:

"I'm looking to run a Star Wars game with the party as the officers on a Victory class ship immediately post-Endor but I've no idea what system to use. All the Star Wars systems I've used have the starship combat pretty tacked on and the starship combat games are all about either fighters or larger battles.

I suppose I'm looking for a Star Fleet battles level system so the combat has a fair bit of crunch to it.

Any suggestions for ways to balance character importance? I'm thinking of an Ars Magicka style multiple PC system where the players have two or three characters and the character that is, say, the Captain of the ship is the lowest ranked Stormtrooper in their commando team and visa versa the veteran sergeant of the commando team is the least influential bridge officer. Just to make sure everyone gets to participate in every part of the game and you don't get the Shadowrun decker syndrome.

So, looking for probably a simple skills based system for the PCs plus a chunky space combat system to run that in. I imagine it'll be relatively rules light most of the time and all about political decisions and mission planning but once the turbolasers start firing I want to have some solid crunch behind their decisions.

Possibly an impossible request? The older D20 Star Wars system has an okay space combat system but it's really alpha strike heavy and most ships can shred a ship of a similar class in just a few rounds but it did have fully detailed ship stats which was nice."

If you have the time to devote to it, you might want to look at a WW2 naval wargame and adapt it. I recommend Seekrieg.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Everblight posted:

Yes, all of this is true
If anyone catches you with one (from Imperial Moffs down to Wuher at the Mos Eisley cantina), they generally take it from you (and end up killing you when you resist). It's like having a handheld nuclear bomb when everyone knows you're as unstable as North Korea.
Basically as long as your players are on uncivilized worlds hunting Rancors, they can go nuts, but to pull out a Disruptor in front of someone who knows what it is, you'd better kill them and make sure there's no witnesses.

An even better solution: don't let them in your campaign in the first place, and send hate mail to Brian Daley.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

Declare your independence from the Empire?

Or use fireworks as your orbital bombardment soundtrack.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, I was thinking I'd just set it up such that each PC has a squad, or each squad simply asks as a single unit, then run with that.

Another benefit of the GM Screen: Squad rules in the back of the included adventure module.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The more I fool around with the combat system, the more I think that every weapon ought to have Vicious at a rating equal to how ever much damage made it through defenses.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

KomradeX posted:

And that's not even getting into how they helped rob the main space port on Ryloth early in the adventure.

Wait, I'm pretty sure this means you're just playing Traveller with Star Wars sound effects now.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

jivjov posted:

God, every time I flip through on of these books I think the artists and art coordinators need a raise. And a statue. And maybe some kind of award ceremony.

Well, except whoever did that picture of the Y-wing in EotE. Which also made it onto the Gold Squadron card in X-Wing Miniatures. Someone needs a word with QA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

alg posted:

ahhhhh gently caress you I never noticed that before :(

I've been thinking about altering a mini to match the card.

• Locked thread