Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TookyG
Dec 18, 2012

I guess I just picked a whole bouquet of oopsy daisies.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm not crazy with how they're splitting up the games. I get divvying up the eras of play, but I'm not sure why it needs to be further divided so that smuggling is one game and being a Rebel is another and so on. It doesn't seem like they're that different, especially when the movies have an aspiring Jedi, a Rebel leader, a smuggler and his alien co-pilot, etc.

I agree. My wallet would prefer they did a core book for the system and have non-core classes, races, and time periods be separated out into various books. Though I'm sure their wallets very much like reprinting the same 300 pages and selling them to people 3 to 5 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TookyG
Dec 18, 2012

this troper posted:

I'm surprised they aren't doing an approach like they did with WFRP 3e, where they had the core set, then they sold supplements in packs (like the warrior and military sourcebook came with the Khorne sourcebook too).

It would make sense too. They could sell a Criminals/Fringers set, a Rebels/Imperials set, and a Light Side/Dark Side (and maybe some other stuff) set.

I think they're following the route that's been more profitable for them. The WH40K line is clearly out performing WFRP3 so why not go the same route with Star Wars? Plus, the Star Wars line lacks all the fiddly bits that WFRP3 so I'm sure that was taken into account when they made their decision.

TookyG
Dec 18, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Or just buy blank dice and use a sharpie. Has anyone played this yet? How is it? I saw the PA post and got excited enough to look into it.

I played it for the first time Friday evening. The dice mechanic is very easy to grasp and it's surprisingly quick to judge success/failure advantage/disadvantage. (I fell in love with the dice mechanic instantly. It's great for narrating events.) Sometimes coming up with a relevant advantage after failing a roll was awkward for the GM but I believe that as players and GMs get accustomed to it, it will come naturally. The adventure itself (and frankly, the entire box) was meant for people new to RPGs--beginners, one could even say--but was still enjoyable for seasoned veterans.

All in all, I'm anticipating getting into the downloadable adventure for our next session!

• Locked thread