Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

This looks pretty cool so far. I like that they're keeping WHFRP3's neat dice, but dropping all its other fiddly props. However, I'm not so sure what I think about splitting it into three sub-games. That makes sense for 40K with its wildly varying power levels, but doesn't seem necessary for Rebellion Era Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

If nothing else there is a pretty drat big disparity between Jedi and everyone else, thematically.

Guy with gun vs. guy with laser sword that blocks gunshots, mind reading, enhanced strength and speed, telekinesis and premonitions (and that's just the Light Side!) doesn't seen like a fair fight.

The power disparity between Jedi and everyone else isn't so readily apparent in the Rebellion Era. The only "adventuring" Jedi we see is Luke, and one never gets the impression he could just effortlessly slice his way through enemies any more than Han could effortlessly blast his way through enemies. Most of what you point to doesn't become such a huge deal until you get to EU/prequel crap.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Well, the thing with the 40k sub-games was that they had a lot of discrete, in-depth systems in place to evoke a certain kind of feel.

Even discounting the power level difference, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, and Dark Heresy focused on very different things.

Oh for sure. There's a lot more than just power disparity separating the three 40K games. Rogue Trader adventures have little or nothing in common with Dark Heresy ones. Death Watch adventures have some superficial similarities with Dark Heresy ones. But fundamentally, they're split apart because a Space Marine is on a totally different level than some hive scummer, and to include the two in the same game would require compromising them to a greater deal than would be fun for the players. I don't see that being necessary with Rebellion Era SW.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Madurai posted:

I hope there's some means of playing the Imperial side too. If the system is so hardwired into making you Luke that you can't have IMPS: The Relentless: The Role-Playing Game, then I might as well just use Hero or GURPS or something.

I would expect that the second book focusing on being soldiers will work just as well for Imperials as it will for Rebels. Otherwise, maybe there will be a fourth book for playing the baddies like in their 40K RPG line.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

fosborb posted:

storm troopers, who are incredible loving shots

What kind of loving Star Wars game is this? :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Tharizdun posted:

"the good Star Wars RPG"

That will confuse people who remember WEG's Star Wars RPG.

• Locked thread