Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

fosborb posted:

GM: "Bad luck! You didn't trip the storm troopers."
Player: "But I did get advantage. The storm troopers are tripped!"
GM: "Yes, and they'd need to take a movement to stand up next turn."

The Yes, and thing is about encouraging creative problem solving, not letting players directly contradict the GM.

This dice system is meant to promote thinking about task resolution in less binary terms. Advantages and disadvantages are an opportunity to provide an extra flavory wrinkle. In the case of a failure with advantage, I think it's more of a No, but situation. For something mundane it won't always be worth stopping the action to think of an effect if nothing comes to mind, but that's the idea, at least.

Thanks for the tip about the docking clamps; I'll be sure to drop a hint somewhere about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

fosborb posted:

That's a great way to frame it.

I think I came off as antagonistic above and I didn't mean to. I am genuinely curious why it seems some people who have run the game are hesitant to let players narrate their advantages. Even though I think that contradicts the rules, I don't think it's necessarily wrong.

Some people are playing online, where it can be harder to have the kind of conversational back-and-forth necessary to collaboratively describe a scene. I can't speak for them, of course.

In my group (around a physical table), I pretty much let the players go hog wild with that sort of thing if they have ideas they want to present. It's kind of organic; if they come up with a cool way to narrate the result, they go ahead and do it, but if they're not really feeling inspired, I'll go ahead and describe it myself or take suggestions from anyone who offers.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The Beta rules explicitly state that the player chooses how to spend advantages and the GM does threat. (If you're just looking at the Beginner's Game, it may not specify, so you're not blind or crazy.)

So, the player will choose if they want to get a critical hit, an extra maneuver or recover strain, etc. That covers the mechanical side of things, but in terms of describing just what happened in the world to impart that extra effect, there's wiggle room. That's where I'd personally be happy for the player to narrate it if they have a good mental image, but as the GM, I could take over that part.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Looselybased posted:

Does anyone know of any pre made campaigns for any of the older Star Wars RPGs that dealt with outer rim stuff? Mostly what I find deals with Jedi. Really I just want ideas for my own campaign.

I can't vouch for the quality of these individual books, but there was some stuff for the West End version that dealt with non-Jedi stuff, and other subjects not directly pertaining to the rebellion.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Politics_of_Contraband
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Secrets_of_the_Sisar_Run
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pirates_%26_Privateers
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Platt%27s_Smugglers_Guide

There could be some ideas worth plundering in these. I have no idea how scarce they are now. Some are more general sourcebooks than adventures per se, but still could be handy.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
GM screens are silly, but I always buy them.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I always hope to get use out of the cheat sheet type stuff, but they almost never have the info that you really need at hand. Half of it will be taken up with stuff you never need to refer to, and you're left flipping through the book for the poo poo you want all the time. I should really make my own cheat sheets.

I realize this is like GMing 101, but I'm pretty lazy. (And a bad GM.)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Haven't really dug in yet, but this sure is a nice big tome to flip through. Decent art and everything.

If this had come out when I was younger and still loved Star Wars, it would have blown my young mind. I still think it's a setting with great rpg potential, so I'm going to try running it for sure. I hope it isn't as riddled with typographical errors and junk as FFG's other RPG products.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

devilmaydry posted:

I ordered my book and am tracking the order, and it says the book weighs 2 pounds, which I think is wrong. :ohdear:

Should I be worried?

It should be 4 at least, but I wouldn't actually worry about it. It could just mean whomever you ordered it from is trying to cheat on shipping costs.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I love it!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Carteret posted:

From the random comments I've read from FFG proper, it looks like FaD is designed to be groups of Jedi, not just 1 in your group. If you want to play a Jedi campaign, everyone is a Jedi. Otherwise, you just don't play FaD. Just like if you don't want to be part of the Rebel Alliance, you play an EotE campaign.

That's how I've been assuming they'd approach it. It's not like they made a squad of Deathwatch Space Marines equal in power to an inquisitor's retinue in the 40K games. I can see them providing tips for running with a mixed party, because they know people are going to do it anyway, but they don't need to balance for it.

Whether or not you think the whole multiple games thing is good for players is another discussion. I was very skeptical in the case of 40K, but I thought it worked out pretty well in the end, though not so much for my wallet. I ran games of Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader and Deathwatch all as separate things and they were all fun and quite different from each other. Never got around to Black Crusade or Only War; they seem a bit thin, conceptually, but I can't say from experience.

This is veering off topic, but now I want to revisit Dark Heresy. It was a good game.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Elendil004 posted:

Has anyone been as crazy as to do up death star blueprints/maps ?

If you're looking for some good usable chunks, I'd recommend the WEG Death Star book: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_Technical_Companion_(Second_Edition)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I would love to buy a big pack of maps of generic locales that would likely come up in an improvised campaign. A couple of cantinas, markets, spaceports, etc. And a wad of ship layouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
My players stole the Odious Exogorth, and the outlaw trashcan robot that just joined the party is slicing the ID codes to rename it the Mynock's Revenge.

I'm really enjoying running the game... after just one session I realized that with this group I shouldn't plan anything major. They're just doing whatever the gently caress, and I'm going along with it (while throwing obstacles in the way).

So far, every time they go somewhere it's them blasting their way out and making an emergency hyperdrive jump before any ships chase them. I wanted to establish their obligation through play instead of doing it up front, and I was struggling to make it work out sensibly at first, but if they keep acting like this it'll take care of itself.

• Locked thread