Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

homullus posted:

Probably better would be getting a hold of the old beta set, which had stickers for the dice. Buy blank dice, apply stickers.

Or just buy blank dice and use a sharpie. Has anyone played this yet? How is it? I saw the PA post and got excited enough to look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So what would be the best way to get into this game? Buy the starter set, or wait for the book to come out?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Looselybased posted:

The beginner box has a shorter rule book, four character folios, a map of the ship your players get at the end of the adventure and the dice. Honestly, I feel like I got my money's worth out of it considering I picked it up for like 25 bucks but I can see why people would hesitate to pick it up. The beginner box rules don't have character creation rules and a lot of the rules it does have aren't as in depth as they will be during release. If you look around online though you can find the beta rules and the revision updates.

It's currently $20 on Amazon. I figure even when the main thing comes out the stubby rulebook should be helpful, plus more dice are always good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am really looking forward to seeing some "old school" adventures where Jedis are rare and stormtroopers are horrible shots.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is the dice app really worth five bucks? That seems absurdly high.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Wookies that fight with their climbing claws are considered mad and dangerous by other wookies. Mad Wookie!

The social norms are rather silent about bodily dismemberment via pulling limbs off.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
drat, if you want a fifth I'd love to try one of the downloadable characters and learn about this game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I haven't opened up the Beginner Box, but how hard is it to run the games for three people instead of four?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The main book hasn't even be out yet and we have to consult alternative sources like a case study. I love gaming.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Blamestorm posted:

This one is simpler than the d6 version, IMO, especially in play.

I completely agree.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fuuuuuuck.

quote:

A Slight Delay
An Update on the Star Wars (R): Edge of the Empire (TM) Core Rulebook
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire | Published 04 April 2013

Earlier this year, we announced the upcoming release of the Star Wars®: Edge of the Empire™ Core Rulebook. The first of three standalone roleplaying systems, the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook invites players to experience the thrills and adventures of life on the outskirts and the fringes of the Star Wars galaxy.

When we first announced Edge of the Empire, we projected a release date sometime in the second quarter of 2013. However, a minor delay has required that we alter the release date slightly. The Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Roleplay Dice pack, and Game Master’s Kit will now be on sale the first week in July.

Adventure on the Outer Rim
We’re confident that you’ll find Edge of the Empire well worth the wait. With stories focusing on a part of the Star Wars universe not commonly explored, this 448-page hardcover book offers an innovative game system that lets you ply your trade as a smuggler in the Outer Rim, collect bounties on the scum that live in the shadows of Coruscant, or try to establish a new colony on a planet beneath the Empire’s notice. In Edge of the Empire, every character has a past worth a story, your every step can lead to riches or peril, and you can visit the shadiest and most remote locations in the Star Wars universe.

Learn more by reading our series of previews or by visiting our Edge of the Empire website, then keep checking back. Star Wars: Edge of the Empire is coming this July!

Dammit, just release the PDF already!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Huh. There might not even be a PDF according to one of the forum posts? Something about requiring an alternative license that FFG might not have paid for? If so that sucks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gravy Train Robber posted:

This is breaking my heart. I move around so often I can't justify buying physical books anymore and get just about everything in pdf. Where did you find this info?

Something on the FFG forums, I think in the thread about the delay of the book. Granted it was a single post and might be bullshit. At least I hope it is.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are they planning on releasing the rulebook in PDF?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

devilmaydry posted:

From my understanding, FFG has the rights to distribute a book, but not digital media. So no, there won't be a PDF

Gotta love licensing. Guess I'll get this in dead tree format then, thanks for the clarification.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My favorite ship name is from an old Rogue Trader game I ran: the Litany of Avarice. Another group had the Negotiable Virtue which was also fantastic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can you guys give me advice on character generation? Pitfalls to watch out for, things that work, stuff like that? My friends are starting up a game and I want to roll some dice.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fool_of_sound posted:

Spend all your starting XP on stats :v:

That seems to be a recurring theme. What level stat should I consider for someone who is good at a particular field? 3? 4? 4 4 1 1 1 1 Murder Hobo?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
With all the droid chat that's been going on, I think I'll put together a droid slicer with a predilection for "freeing" systems from the shackles of encryption.

EDIT: Why does the Slicer tree have talents for breaking through security systems if they don't have access to Skulduggery?

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 13, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Narrator posted:

I think it gets covered by Computers.

Works for me. Also I found the perfect droid for this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/G2_repair_droid

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jivjov posted:

What model ship is that? I like it. A lot.

Ghtroc 720. The YT-1300 for people who don't like YT-1300s.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

-Fish- posted:

Also, more importantly: It's a turtle and turtles are loving boss as hell.

As a University of Maryland alum I totally loving confirm this.

Gonna propose to my group that we name our ship Testudo if we get a Ghtroc 720.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So how does this look?

G2-GO, aka "Goose"
Character Sheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Another option: http://deckplans.00sf.com/Ghtroc/720/Ghtroc_720.html