Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Well, I picked up the Beginner Game from the Fantasy Flight website last night in hopes of giving this a shot. I didn't get into the beta, I've never tried the Warhammer one, but this looks interesting to me. My gaming group is pretty gung ho to give this a try, so I'll see about doing a trip report once we've given it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
My Beginner Box just arrived last night and I'm making plans to get my gaming group to give it a run in a week or two.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, my group played last night. We've done everything from Pathfinder, Shadowrun, HERO and Iron Kingdoms, and this was probably the quickest the group has picked up a new rolling mechanic. It's not as hard as it sounds, but coming up with ways to spend Advantage that isn't just healing strain gets old. Triumph is interesting, and I look forward to seeing higher levels when there's more than a yellow or two being rolled every time. Adding together the pool isn't any harder than calculating total bonuses in any other game, and it's usually pretty quick to identify results by just pulling out successes and failures, Advantage and Threat off to the side and figuring what's left.

The Beginner Box adventure wasn't too bad, even for a seasoned gaming party, though they deliberately kept it on rails to not break the system. Most of the basic rules are easy to get a grip on (calculating your own pools, etc) that is pre-done for you with the Beginner Box. There are some rule oddities, though, which might have been handled by Errata somewhere. It seems odd that you use Perception(I believe, going from memory here) for initiative when surprised, but Cool when expecting combat, yet most people's Cool was lower. Most of my players wound up walking around with their fingers in their ears and eyes shut just to get jumped and have a better chance of acting faster.

End result is that the dice was a lot funner than expected, and the rest of the game is more or less your basic RPG, and it's Star Wars, what's not to like? As long as the rules can stay out of the way of having fun, it'll probably be a pretty excellent system.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

fosborb posted:

If the player is trying to trip the Trandoshan, then advantage/disadvantage doesn't play into it. It's just, "yup, got the successes. You tripped him."

Here is a better example.

Player "I'm going to push over these hypercrates to block the oncoming storm troopers."
GM throws down 2 difficulty dice because knocking over hypercrates is average difficulty.
The player looks over his skill list, picks out brawl, and so rolls a proficiency die, 3 ability die, and the 2 difficulty die.
In a stroke of terrible luck, the player gets less successes than failures.
GM: "Bad luck! You didn't trip the storm troopers."
Player: "But I did get advantage. The storm troopers are tripped!"
GM: "Yes, and they'd need to take a movement to stand up next turn."

An Advantage isn't a success. You're allowing it to happen anyway, even though they failed to get more successes than failures, by more or less allowing them to buy the victory with Advantage? I get using the "Yes, and" method of game play, but turning a fail into a success because of Advantage when an Advantage isn't a success doesn't sit well with me. I'd have probably taken the player's "they're tripped" and said that they aren't tripped so much as stumble while attempting to dodge the attack, granting a Boost die to the next player in the initiative to attack them.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Setback/Boost die is more about Threat/Advantage that Fail/Success. If you think you're going to succeed, it's better to go for the Boost for the extra chance at Advantage since it doesn't greatly up your chance to complete the task.

So, moving away one should increase the difficulty by one (more chance of failure), where a Setback die would be more chance of interesting results (more chance of Threat). Statistically speaking.

Edit: Does anyone know how good Fantasy Flight is on a release schedule? If it's going to be book 2 for troopers and book 3 for Jedi, are we looking at probably 6 months between releases given their other RPG systems? My group is debating on if they want to play at release, or wait until it's got a few more sourcebooks to flesh things out first.

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 3, 2013

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
The beginner box glosses over a lot. I admit, I may have missed this, but player character sheets are explicit that net successes add +1 damage to their damage - the NPC boxes and overview rules doesn't mention this for the GM side of things. That's only covered in the beta rules. Same goes for space combat - the Krayt Fang versus TIE Fighters fight was pretty hard for my players, and the "hit once, damage twice" rule TIE's get meant each shot was good for 6, while the Engineer station could only heal for one point a turn - except that net successes also add +1 damage here. Had I known that ahead of time, my players would have been dust.

It's intended to be an introduction to the core dice concepts like Difficulty dice and boosting, though, and not get you initimate with the ins and outs of every single rule.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
In my starter box game, my players tried to convince the droids guarding the Krayt Fang that they were there to install the part on the ship. They succeeded but got a bit too much Threat, so Trex comes walking down the gangplank wondering what the commotion was.

The wookie charged him, hit a crap ton of successes and proceeded to one shot the trandoshan. We were all a bit too stunned to say anything, as everyone had agreed to the stealth plan, and the wookie just haring off and capping Trex out of nowhere with a single punch while the rest of the party was still arguing with droids was just about perfect.

gently caress lightsabers. Wookies are where it's at.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Nothing, if you hate playing games.

RAW, it's possible, but it's stupid. In my Long Arm of the Hutt game, my players started doing that in response to every boost I did. Then they'd boost every attack or skill they'd try, and I'd counter to keep them from outright succeeding everything they did. It got absurd pretty quick.

We finally made an agreement to just use them when we thought it would be thematically appropriate - the whole dice system is based around story-telling and exemplary things happening (good and bad) while trying to do wacky poo poo, so using the Force Points as free boosts/penalties goes against the spirit of the game anyway.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

treeboy posted:

haha, fair enough, it's a tall shot glass of some kind (i've already altered it a bit to match his hand position better), I'll have to add a bottle somewhere and make sure it's got some exotic glowing liquid blue milk inside.

Fixed that for you.

Our little group got our characters rolled up last week. Out of the absurd number of game systems I've played, this one was probably the easiest to get going. It also feels like the least amount of choices. Our party has two pure support characters, a hybrid, and two combat spec'd characters. It'll be interesting to see if the game can support such a setup - though, if it doesn't, it's not a knock against EotE, since that usually comes down to having a good GM more than the system.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
It's a bit cumbersome, but not too much more than Shadowrun, so I give it a pass. Our group has taken to rolling the positive and negative dice separate, just to speed up picking dice up for canceling effects out - rather than counting them out, we just remove dice that cancel. No one wants to swap to an app as they're all grognards that need the feel of dice in hand to play games.

I honestly love the system, but you have to have players and a GM that groove to the system to make the most of it. It really depends on your group - if you've got a group that plays entirely by the roll of a D20 die, you probably won't like EotE that much. Those people are pretty into the binary roll of a die determining results and controlling the flow of a game. They really like to know that a 25 Jump means a running jump gets them exactly 10 feet + (check / 5) or some such rule. Multi-axis dice results just leave groups like that staring at the results and then saying "I guess I heal two strain" when a few spare advantage come up.

Some groups just wing it, using the "Yes, and" approach to gaming and only roll dice when absolutely necessary, and they'll probably get more enjoyment out of EotE - they're more sitting around, telling a story, making crazy poo poo up for their characters to do and using dice to enhance the situation, rather than determine what they can or can't do. They also tend to not get as much done cause they're too busy laughing.

Obvious generalities - I'm sure there's plenty of people that love Pathfinder/3.x and EotE equally, but the breakdown seems to work this way in the couple of groups I've worked with.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, pricey, but I bit the bullet. I'm going to make my gaming group chip in a few bucks each to help cover the cost. AoR is the one I'm most interested in out of the three primary sets, so even if no one helps, I'm okay with it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I got the AOR Beta book today - if there's any specific questions anyone wants answered, I can give it a shot. My GM is likely going to borrow it on Sunday, so make them count.

Here's a quick little overview:

Species: Bothan, Droid, Duros, Gran, Human, Ithorian, Mon Calamari and Sullustan.

Class/Specs: Ace (Driver, Gunner, Pilot); Commander (Commodore, Squad Leader, Tactician); Diplomat (Ambassador, Agitator, Quartermaster); Engineer (Mechanic, Saboteur, Scientist); Soldier (Commando, Medic, Sharpshooter); Spy (Infiltrator, Scout, Slicer)

Stats for A-Wing, X-Wing, Y-Wing, B-Wing, TIE/LN, TIE Interceptor, TIE Defender, TIE Bomber, Lambda Long Range Shuttle, Nebulon-B Frigate, Dreadnought Class Heavy Cruiser, Vindicator Class Heavy Cruiser, Imperial Class Star Destroyer, Victory Class Star Destroyer and a bunch more I don't care about.

Force Trees for Move, Enhance and Forsee

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Probably not, but it's not certain. Read the full talent description. It's not explicit, and I don't have my book right here in front of me, but the reading is something about increasing a numeric stat. Auto-Fire isn't a numeric entity. It costs two to activate, but it isn't a stat. It's a cost. However, I admit that it could be interpreted that your way, and I chose not to go that way so that my GM wouldn't outright murder me after I installed my new barrel and all the mods and got my damage to 13. Auto Fire is already the best thing in the game. It doesn't need to be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, for the most part, you should be adding setback dice to make things harder, and reserving adding difficulty dice and upgrading for clear-cut increasingly dangerous situations. Setback dice are usually more environmental - don't have the right tools, it's raining as you work on rewiring that door panel, the mark is pissed you just insulted his wife as you try to negotiate. Adding difficulty might be the computer is ancient and unknown, you're trying to plug a square hyperdrive motivator into a round socket, or the guard just got an alert from his boss to be on the look out for people matching your description right as you start your charm check to get into that warehouse.

It's a bit free-form, but being free with the setback and boost dice is only good for the game. Adding difficulty/upgrades are a lot harsher and should be done with more caution.

• Locked thread