Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Elendil004 posted:

If you did an imperial campaign, you could maybe do a black ops level one, decent starting xp and the reason you can't call in bombing runs every 2 seconds is you're operating on way off the books level black poo poo.
There's always the Dark Heresy Acolyte setup- you're not actually ranking Imperial officers, you're their bitches. ISB officers are busy and any use of their official powers will leave evidence rebels can track. Half a dozen unlucky scum who're in hock to the ISB, though...
Then the person in charge of calling in the star destroyers is your handler, who needs solid evidence you've discovered the whole rebel conspiracy and has no compunction with letting you die to accomplish it (because there's always more smugglers and unlicensed bounty hunters willing to work for them to get out of jail).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Could anyone with experience playing the system weigh in on how practical it would be to replace the skill list with 13th Age-style backgrounds? Looking at it, there seem to be a lot of defensive uses of skills like Cool, Discipline and Vigilance which initially seem like they'd be awkward to freeform (e.g. "I'll defend against this lie with Cunning 3 and... uh... Nerf Herder 2 because... er... I'm used to people trying to con me?" doesn't need to happen that often to really break flow). Plus, the talent trees are all based on skills and categorising them on the fly might be problematic.

Equally though it seems like most of the time these defenses come up it'd be NPCs using them (so easily set as a flat set of defenses), and the talent trees mostly explain the context for bonuses (pleasant social interaction, hostile social interaction etc.) so it might not be that difficult?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Winson_Paine posted:

The defensive skills are the other half of the opposed roll so you don't need to sweat it most of the time. It is never a roll off of you vs. someone, it is just one die pool being thrown to go either way. I would actually try the system before dicking with it too much, it is pretty well built in general for what it is and what it does.
Yeah, it definitely looks well-built- that was why I was interested in using it as a foundation. My group want to try and run Rogue Trader, but with a less janky ruleset, and using backgrounds rather than skills and just dumping the few specific skill mechanics into a page or two of rules would remove the need to rewrite the skill section.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I've written some house-rules for buying second-hand ships with flaws in EotE that I'd like to run past people: On the FFG forums here. Basically, the idea is to allow players to buy ships at a discount with a number of unknown flaws (but the opportunity to identify them)- so parties that want to accelerate their journey up the scale ladder can do it... at a non-monetary cost.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Pimpmust posted:

Can't really read that image (even enlarged), but you could consider adding a few "positive" flaws, to balance out the really bad ones. Maybe the PCs get lucky and happen to get a ship that (some part) was really well taken care off/tuned or modded with after-market parts (that might not be obvious to the seller either).
Er, it was just supposed to illustrate what the PDF (in the thread linked) looks like. Adding positive or at least neutral flaws would be pretty interesting... ones with tradeoffs like the Y-Wing style stripped down cowls that presumably increase speed at the cost of armour. But at 20 currently, I'm not sure what I'd take out to add, and more than 20 might be a bit excessive? Depends how often people actually buy flawed ships whether I really need 30 or 40 to stop getting too many repeats.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 11, 2014

• Locked thread