Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I only got into poker a few months ago, but I would love to chat and post hands here to be laughed at by goons rather than thousands of people in some FB group. But posting them here would mean adding too many qualifiers, whereas a micros thread would be ideal. Dunno how many other people would be up for posting regularly though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yeah, I'm really happy I've learned to avoid calling with a good hand when the only thing a decent micro reg would be betting/raising there would be a great loving hand. Sometimes I still slip, but I've gotten a lot better with that after I took like 6 months break from poker. It was a major leak of mine (not that I lack those still).

Related, I've just doubled my starting money (20 BI at 5nl) and am getting ready to give 10nl a 5 buyin shot. Let's see if there are as many fish/rec players there as at 5nl.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
So I've played a bit under 10k hands in 10NL and it's going almost suspiciously well - as in, I've doubled my bankroll from 20 to 40 buyins. I am about 40 bucks over my all-in EV line and won another 40 bucks in one of those weird rakeback things GGpoker does, but it's still my hottest streak ever. And apart from the first 1-2 thousand hands when I tried to be too clever for my own good, I feel I am actually playing a decent game. It helps that there is a surpising amount of fish and rec players around still.

There's still plenty to work on, but at least I have some cushion for the inevitable downswing. And I'm not planning on moving up until I have played like 50k hands at this level and see what my actual winrate is. I'm travelling so I won't be able to play for the next week or so and annoyingly I didn't download the hand histories to analyse them either, but it's good to have a break anyway - I think I took a bit too seriously earlier in the year and burnt out at one point.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I wouldn't sweat it too much. Micros are mostly about learning the game and learning to exploit the fish and strongly unbalanced players, imo. If your opponent is adjusting his strategy well depending on your (reasonable) fold to cbet stat, he probably won't be around for that long. Also, your stats at micros aren't super reliable, because you play differently against fish than you do against balanced regs. Like, I will call much more willingly against somebody who clearly can't read the board than a reg betting pot on a wet board.

On the other hand, I'm not doing very well lately, thanks in part to some bad hero calls, so maybe don't listen to me.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
So I've done 25k hands in 10nl now and for the past 15k I've only been break-even thanks to rakeback. I can't pretend it's just variance either as I've done some silly hero calls and been too passive with some hopeless hands. But I'm still enjoying the game and still up considerably thanks to running hot previously, so will just keep plugging away at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I've moved on to 25NL since November, which means around 60k hands, and I'm feeling a bit discouraged by the rake. I look at the tracker and it shows >1600 USD up pre rake in this period and around 350 USD post rake. I haven't had much luck with GG rakeback bad beat thing either, so it just feels I'm playing for the benefit of the house. My current family/work situation is such that I can't really play more than 1-2 hrs per day, so full-time grinding (which would also improve my rakeback lottery chances dramatically) is out of question.

I'm also not sure if I can really take my game to the next level without putting in a lot more time/money. And that's fine in a way, because it means poker remains just a hobby for me - but it also feels weird to be decently good at something people do professionally and not have anything to show for it.