Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

PharmerBoy posted:

I'm running into an issue with the study times in Masks of Nyarlethotep. I'm a player, and got specifically called out to study one tome (power roll resulting in character feeling a strong draw to read Pnakotic Manuscript). Trouble is, it has a 300 day read time, and we're currently running reading as requiring setting aside dedicated whole day reading time. As a result, I'm ending up back in hotel rooms reading while the other players are out adventuring, and out of game I've spent the last two sessions just sitting around in real life. Its already been dropped that the whole scenario takes place over the course of a year, so I feel like I've got to keep actively staying back to keep this thing on schedule.

Would running this as "you set aside some time each night to read and get reading credit" while actively out adventuring mess things up? This is my first long-term CoC campaign, and I'm trying to avoid self-spoiling on what's in this book, so its been a bit difficult to figure out fixes that are balanced while not knowing what I'm balancing. How have other people handled the read times?

I've never run or read Masks but this is an enormous failure on the part of the GM. No player should have to sit there and do nothing for entire sessions. Reading should be allowed to happen during downtime, or, failing that, if the GM insists your character's gotta read that book and it's gotta take all day, then bring in your backup character ASAP while the first one chills back at the hotel reading.

Why did everyone agree you need to read the book, by the way? If it's to learn a potential spell in the book, then rules as written, you find out what spells the book contains after an "initial reading" -- while the exact length of time this requires varies from hours to weeks, it's still a way shorter time frame than the full 45 weeks for the "full reading" -- and you can then choose to study one spell in particular, which might take a few weeks but is also a much shorter time frame than the full read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU