Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's modern Cthulhu with a dash of Paranoia sprinkled in;
One of the guys behind the RPG is also the guy behind the latest Paranoia stuff, Gareth Hanrahan. He's Irish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also worth a look: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pope Guilty posted:

Esoterrorists isn't Cthulhu- it's about a world where consensus reality means that magic isn't real, a group of wealthy psychopaths trying to tear down any concept of sanity or security so they can throw fireballs and live forever, and the players trying to stop them. Excellent game.
Given that the Consensus Reality part of oMage was my favourite thing about the game and I was always rooting for the Technocracy I'm suddenly much more interested in this RPG.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pope Guilty posted:

that's what the Esoterrorists want anyway: infinite power for them, life in a horror movie that never ends for everybody else.
Why do I get the feeling that a certain category of gamer is confused about why they're "on the wrong side".

Also, want to play this now with Fox Mulder as an NPC and (unwittingly) one of the setting's greatest villains.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Pretty sure it's not been mentioned yet, but A Colder War should be required reading for anyone planning on running any Delta Green incarnation.

Actually I'd honestly include this in the OP.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Dilletante and Doctor playbook attributes are identical, so I'd guess it's a typo and the Rulebook is the correct one.

Also it would be a bit weird for the Bertie Wooster class to disallow a Reason score below 1.

\/You're right, I was just looking at the Reason section\/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 18, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

neongrey posted:

Oh man, going by the dogpile on that thread I might just give it a couple days and take a swing at it. Everything's new enough that if I cock something up hopefully people will be forgiving.
Dibs on the dilettante!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Given that I missed the kick starter, is there any legit way to purchase a copy of the PDF from the tremulus dudes at this point?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I just found out that Cthulhu Gloom exists. It sounds pretty awesome, and has an expansion!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 27, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ryoshi posted:

That can't be right, though - if you rolled five times you still wouldn't be guaranteed to roll under, even though 5*.2=1 would imply that you did. I'm no good with probabilities unfortunately so I'm not sure what the correct way of going about that would be, but I think you'd have to change the sample space itself to include both rolls and then calculate the probability based on which sets of rolls succeed (anything with one OR both rolls under 2).

Essentially it's not doubled.
You're right.

To get the odds of succeeding X times on X dice you take the odds of succeeding to the power of X. So succeeding at two rolls at 2/10 (0.2) would be 0.04 (4%).

To get the odds of succeeding at least once on X dice you take the odds of failing to the power of X and subtract that from 1. So succeeding at least once at two rolls at 2/10 (0.2) would be 1 - (0.8^2) = 1 - (0.64) = 0.36 (36%), or just over a third.

(5 rolls would be 1 - (0.8^5) = (67.232%), or just over two thirds)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 19, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lord Frisk posted:

I saw it being mostly light usage. Moving objects, projecting thoughts. Anything higher, say pyrokinesis, would be like to cause an aneurism. Moving something heavy would cause a large nose bleed/burst blood vessels in the eyes. In the beginning any psionics use would cause nausea and/or nosebleeds, and as the story progresses, the characters gain more insight into how to use it. They will also gain insight into eldritch and alien technologies.
How relevant do you want the psionics to be? Do you want the psionics to have any real impact on the game other than the token "weird thing" that kicks the game off, or do you want "Blast them with psychic" to be a valid solution to certain problems? If the actual usefulness of the psionics is quite limited you could take a wide variety of low- or no-magic systems and just stick "also you can shove small things with your mind" on the end, if you want them to be more relevant mechanically you're going to need some kind of a structure around them.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 20, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Their experience with d20 is why I would recommend not using the d20 system. CoC is a very different atmosphere to D&D, using a derivative of it makes it more likely for them to carry across certain assumptions. Like monsters being for attacking rather than running the gently caress away from.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Make Charles a Zombie, stick him in the same room as the entry to the caverns. The Investigators will go "Oh look a Zombie. Oh look a dark, ominous entryway to the local cave system." Then they'll either go looking, or say "gently caress this I'm not going in there quick kill the Zombie and let's get our money."

Or have his corpse up on a slab where it was about to be reanimated before Curwen was interrupted. Basically have their goal (find Charles) lead directly to the next mystery (oh look a creepy crypt).

e: or have Charles the Surprisingly Nimble Zombie be carrying the book in question. He understands it's important but not why. When the Detectives enter the experiment room, Charles wanders out to see the noise, the investigators see the doppelganger of their client carrying A Creepy Book, if/when they try to take it off him/approach him he bolts into the caverns with it and leads them in a merry dance of evil monsters until they corner him.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 24, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
OK I could have sworn I saw something posted somewhere in trad games about the new Call of Cthulhu board game, but I can't find it now or even work out what its name is. Please show me I'm not going mad.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aleph Null posted:

Search Kickstater for "Cthulhu Wars"

Edit: I'm on my tablet so typing out the link is tough
No, not that one. It's an arkham horror based thing and it was at the FFG section at GenCon. I swear someone posted a picture.

e: Found it, it's called Eldritch Horror. Still can't find the picture though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sionak posted:

Another possibility would be to look up some "dark folk" type music.
I'm going to ahead and assume you mean folk music with a dark undercurrent, and not music made by "dark folk" in the 1920s.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Reverse google image search led me to this site which has a slightly better version here.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Verily I Shat posted:

You are a champion, that will do finely.

Thank you very much.
Forgot to come back and say I also found this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LatwPIAT posted:

There's also a description of a rat vomiting at one point. Rats can't regurgitate or vomit. 0/10 would not buy again.
That's how you know there's something funny going on, d'uh. If you don't pick up on these obvious clues then it's your own fault when you get eaten by a deep rats.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
e: n/m recanting occurred

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Vote for me!

I mean literally me.

It's a one-shot where I show up and start reading my posts at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

a mysterious cloak posted:

Hey all, is there a Lovecraftian game that I can play with my wife and 14 year old, that doesn't involve reading an elaborate rulebook? I'm looking at Arkham Horror, and the learn to play stuff seems fairly straightforward after you get it set up, but I wasn't sure about any of the others. I'm still researching, but I figured I'd ask the experts.

Probably sticking to a board- or card-type would be best, as I doubt the rest of the fam would be thrilled about doing RPG stuff like character creation, etc.
The revised Betrayal at House on the Hill is good. Eldritch Horror is basically Arkham Horror Lite. Also a lot of horror rpgs lend themselves well to having a stack of pregens rather than each person creating a character.