Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Esoterrorists isn't Cthulhu- it's about a world where consensus reality means that magic isn't real, a group of wealthy psychopaths trying to tear down any concept of sanity or security so they can throw fireballs and live forever, and the players trying to stop them. Excellent game.

D20 CoC has one thing going for it, and that's that John Tynes, whose worship is unaccountably not yet recognized by the IRS as a religion, wrote the setting stuff. Tynes' vision of the Mythos is excellent.

Alone in the Dark 1 was the game with all the Mythos stuff- the others are about gangsters and pirates, if memory serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Splicer posted:

Given that the Consensus Reality part of oMage was my favourite thing about the game and I was always rooting for the Technocracy I'm suddenly much more interested in this RPG.

Well, consensus reality says that there's no such thing as magic, right? Reality is safe, sane, stable. Thing is, the less stable the world is, the less sane and reliable people are willing to believe the world is. So the Esoterrorists are involved in any number of plots to start wars, cause crimes, and increase belief in the supernatural. The only legitimately supernatural thing that ever works in The Esoterrorists is summoning creatures from outside reality into ours, and even that almost never actually works- usually it's more like manufacturing a fake body of an alien or a monster, or strangling people to death in a way consistent with a local legend about a haunting and setting it up to suggest that the ghost did it. Or hell, maybe they'll sponsor terrorist attacks, or divisive religious fundamentalist preachers, or racist organizers, or media that promotes rape culture. Anything to make the average person's life and psychology less stable, less secure, and less certain.

Why? Because if they can destroy people's belief in the fundamental stability of reality, terrorize the public's sense of security, and get everybody to believe in magic, the consensus will shift and they'll be able to do all the fun magical poo poo wizards in D&D can do. The only cost is that the masses of humanity will consist of insane, terrified, traumatized slaves to their Esoterrorist king-gods, but that's what the Esoterrorists want anyway: infinite power for them, life in a horror movie that never ends for everybody else.

Esoterrorists scenarios have two major parts. In the first part, you figure out what the hell those goddamned Esoterrorist fucks are up to this time and put a stop to it. (It's basically never a legitimate paranormal phenomena because there's no such thing.) In the second part, the veil-out, you manufacture a cover-up to keep the masses from ever finding out what happened- because even the knowledge of what little the Esoterrorists do get up to would contribute to their cause.

e: Oh, and Fear Itself is basically the world as it transitions from The Esoterrorists to the world that the Esoterrorists are trying to create. Horror is seeping into the world, and there's not a whole lot you can do but try to survive it.

Also, if you're looking for some new and interesting monsters, The Book of Unremitting Horror is a book of critters and villains for this setting. Lots of cool stuff and worth a read on its own.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 1, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Quarex, you might check out the upthread-mentioned The Esoterrorists, as what you're describing is almost a particularly weird endgame for that setting.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

You could do Legends of the Wulin, and just make the various mythos creatures into ranked fighters. You'd likely have to give them much more powerful "kung fu styles" to model their potency for the really mean things.

I'm suddenly imagining "CTHULHU MYTHOS TOURNAMENT FIGHTERS". For the SNES, maybe.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

In sad news, Lynn Willis, co-creator with Sandy Peterson, has died.

Quick, somebody reduce the body to its essential salts!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Slender Man is an avatar of Nyarlathotep, so I don't see the problem.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Aleph Null posted:

Edit: no illustration of the byakhee? I'm disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYjCIor2C7E

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ettin posted:

Has anyone checked out House of R'lyeh yet?

(How is it? :ohdear:)

An Arthur Jermayn scenario? Really?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Honestly it sounds pretty okay aside from having to know anything about Chaosium's other games.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Sionak posted:

Or listen to the RPPR campaign, which shows off Bonds very nicely: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/tag/gods-teeth/

It's not full of people constantly breaking the mood with stupid jokes, is it? That drives me nuts with most of the rpg podcasts I've tried listening to.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I got into Lovecraft because I got Alone in the Dark for my 12th birthday and was obsessed with it, so you never know.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So is KWAS worth the $25 for a season or year or whatever?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Sionak posted:

I thought it was, but not enough other people did, so there's a couple years' worth but it seems to be done for now.

You can still get the old columns as a yearly lot or a la carte from Pelgrane.

I think I will- I adored Suppressed Transmission and it kills me that there's years and years of it that will never be collected.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

KWAS season 1 was really, really good, so I'm glad about that.

Last night I found a FLGS I didn't know existed who stock Pelgrane titles, which I'm not used to- the shops I'm familiar with around here are heavy on boardgames and minis with a few Pathfinder books, but this place (while it had all that) had a big set of shelves with both old and new titles. I picked up Trail of Cthulhu, which is really good so far, and the guy behind the counter clued me in to the Bits and Mortar program, where if you buy a book from a participating publisher at a participating retailer, they'll email you a download link for a PDF copy! (And Pelgrane is a member, so I'm going back for those Esoterrorist and Night's Black Agents books at some point.) I'm going to have to buy my books there going forward.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Krinkle posted:

What if you are doing Target practice against some slow moving zombies, we were all rolling our bad melee percentile and failing to hit them point blank with hammers. Zombies have no self preservation, should we have rolled then?

I feel like roll or not, I'd still grant a skill check for that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

"Knowledge is death" is a perfect slogan for a Cthulhu group.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I'm not sure Special Agent Dan Smith would like Cohen Brothers movies. They are "too weird" for him. He likes war movies (as long as they don't try to be too high-concept artsy-fartsy), a good action flick, and anything he can take the whole family to. He's insufferable if you watch any movie about police work or feds with him, as he will "Well actually" every bit of dramatic licence to explain proper procedure.

Jerry Smith, Delta Green operative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

There's a version of Alone Against the Flames in Cthulhu Chronicles for mobile devices. Simplified mechanically but still pretty good.