Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

I'm sure you can update the feel of it, and it's pretty necessary to do so. Switch over from a very 90s 'big government conspiracies run everything, are bringing black helicopters to unwittingly feed you to Mi-Go/yet another avatar of Nyarlathotep' style to one more about dingy amoral bureaucrats who know exactly what they're doing and don't care. Extraordinary rendition, private security companies, and growing international tensions offer a pretty fertile ground to work with, imo, so long as they don't go for a lazy 'map the war on terror onto space aliens' approach. From rumours I heard, they were updating the plot to have Delta Green as the victors in their struggle with MJ 12 or something, so having their very dodgy networks crudely grafted onto government power sounds like it could be good.

I think the one thing that they really do need to do is flesh out what some of the other country's agencies are doing, given the increasingly questionable US hegemony today - Delta Green had 'lol magic mounties' and 'the entire UK paranormal division is overrun by trepanning brain wasps', but the main show was still very much American. I'd like to see how they could integrate a more international feel into it, while keeping the distinct DG feel.

They talk about all that stuff in the latest Unspeakable podcast. From what I got, the new edition will still be firmly US based, DG kinda wins, and the governments now know and want to harness the Mythos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack
And if you read Spanish, the guys at Edge are doing an awesome work with new editions of sixth and Masks of Nyarlathotep. On the pricy side, but, hey, they do look good.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Grey Hunter posted:

This can only be a good thing, Now I wonder when we will get the PDF's it says delivery October, but from their updates it looks like they are still messing around with formatting for the rulebook, and we have no idea how far along the spat books are.

I'm expecting the rulebook/playbooks fairly soon, with the playsets coming over the next few months, which is fine by me.

I guess we'll get the Ebon Eaves playset and core playbooks first, and everything unlocked as stretch goals will have to wait until the end of the year. Let's hope for an update with info soon, I really want to give this a try.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm thinking of getting either the Laundry or Delta Green, but can't decide which, because they are quite similar. Would someone with more Cthulhu-RPG-experience give me the ups and downs of both?

DG is serious bussiness, The Laundry is satire.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack
Also the DG guys are coming up with a new version "soon" so you might want to wait on that and see how they compare.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack
A review/critique of tremulus http://rpggeek.com/thread/879471/how-does-cthulhu-stack-up-in-the-pantheon-of-apoca

I don't agree with some of it (you don't need to have so many questions in a playset, making it as fine grained as you want), but some of the things he mention might be a deal breaker for others.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Ornamented Death posted:

This seems like the appropriate place to post this. The guys at Miskatonic River Press are teaming up with Jeffrey Thomas to develop a Call of Cthulhu setting sourcebook for his Punktown universe. Here's the Kickstarter page.

For those that haven't read any Punktown stories (sadly, I imagine that's most of you), the easiest way to describe the setting is CoC meets Phillip K. Dick's sci-fi/cyberpunk stuff (Do Androids Dream..., Total Recall, Minority Report, etc.). It's hard to narrow it down any more than that because Thomas uses Punktown to write all sorts of stories, not just Mythos stuff.

I don't get separate book only and book+pdf pledges.

Stealing Cthulhu is good. It talks mythos and how to mix them up.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Pope Guilty posted:

Quarex, you might check out the upthread-mentioned The Esoterrorists, as what you're describing is almost a particularly weird endgame for that setting.

Also try The Apocalypse Machine. It's a Cthulhu Apocalypse handbook for ToC, by Graham Walmsley and covers both just after the apocalypse and earth ruined a while ago games.

edited: linkage

ack fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

moths posted:

It's just such a shame when you look at how the French and Spanish collector's editions turned out... And then Chaosium rolls up asking for fourty thousand dollars before we can talk about colored ink.

At least it'll be easier on my printer when I make cheat-sheets to tape into my 6e book.

Having just bought the Spanish edition, not even the one with all the extra swag, I just can't be bothered with this kickstarter. Black and white softcover, two separate books, charging extra for book+pdf... Not enticing at all. I wonder how much they could have gotten had they gone the Achtung Cthulhu way.