Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Call of Cthulhu LCG-Fantasy Flight Games

Call of Cthulhu is a two-player card game in which players construct decks from a choice of seven different factions from the Cthulhu Mythos. Players then muster their decks against each other and attempt to win story cards through various challenges. The first player to win three story cards wins the game.
(from site)

Features
*All cards for a single story come in a box, meaning no Booster packs
*Interesting between-faction interactions, making it easy to create a deck with whatever factions you please
*Being able to play as the forces of darkness and the government at the very same time :unsmigghh:

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

So tremulus is officially my first kickstarter! Apocalypse World plus Lovecraftian horror? Be still my beating heart.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

spamman5r posted:

All three of the large expansion board are basically "maintain me or bad things happen." The consensus seems to be that Innsmouth and Dunwich are good and Kingsport is not. I'm not sure how to challenge you without making things harder, though.

With Dunwich, spawned monsters disappear into vortexes which eventually spawn the Dunwich Horror, kind of a mini-boss. If you let him live he'll add doom tokens. Innsmouth is pretty close to the same, you need to spend clues in locations to keep the Deep Ones track from filling up or the Ancient One spawns immediately. However, the Innsmouth board is generally harder and you can be jailed just for being on it at certain points in the game

You can also get the expansions just for the herald varient, where you add additional effects that make things more difficult. (Though that's probably the opposite of what you're looking for). Also, the expansions have "Gate Burst" Mythos cards which, if they pop in the right location, can blow away your seals.

Frankly, I find the best Arkham experience is just to throw it all together and let the randomness reign supreme. You're going to lose unfairly sometimes and you're going to win easily sometimes, but it's truly the journey that's important. When we play, we do it with the Innsmouth and Dunwich boards plus all of the small expansions. There's a lot of features from the expansions that I'd hate to miss, like Personal Stories or Injury/Madness cards that add extra choices in the game.

I've found Kingsport to always be the 'friendly' expansion. Its more about things that don't screw you quite as hard or even help you sometimes. For example, I think Kingsport was the expansion that introduced the guys that were basically anti-heralds (Bast, Hypnos and the other one). They aren't necessarily a huge advantage, but they can make the difference between victory and defeat in some cases. But I do agree that its the most uninteractive board just because I can't ever remember having a very compelling reason to go there (and my group usually only plays half blasted, so board gimmicks get thrown out of the window until dramatically (read: hilariously) appropriate).

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

I'm a little confused as to what his complaints are about the playbooks. He called them 'too mechanical', but really they didn't seem any more so than the AW playbooks. I mean other than the 'when you roll for x replace it with y' moves, I could point to pretty much any move and say 'Yeah, that should happen in the fiction'. My favorite is the Journalist's move 'Locks are suggestions': It makes me think of Karl Kolchak sneaking into someplace to get the scoop, only to be attacked by a hideous thing from beyond.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Edit: no illustration of the byakhee? I'm disappointed.

I don't know if there are canon pictures of Mythos things in the books, but when I want a picture of a monstrosity from beyond, I usually look no further than http://tumbleyond.tumblr.com/(:nws: for general nudity). Dude is working through pretty much every critter, old god or personality described in the Mythos.

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 21, 2013