Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I got through the Peru section of MoN as a player not too long ago (just finished up the New York section in November).

We did pretty well through the use of non-explosive fire just burning everything out. Favorite part was the keeper setting up a room in the temple full of all the valuables from past victims. We were intended to loot it to fund the ongoing travel in the campaign, but we all agreed "Nope, that's cursed gold now." and refused to touch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I'm running into an issue with the study times in Masks of Nyarlethotep. I'm a player, and got specifically called out to study one tome (power roll resulting in character feeling a strong draw to read Pnakotic Manuscript). Trouble is, it has a 300 day read time, and we're currently running reading as requiring setting aside dedicated whole day reading time. As a result, I'm ending up back in hotel rooms reading while the other players are out adventuring, and out of game I've spent the last two sessions just sitting around in real life. Its already been dropped that the whole scenario takes place over the course of a year, so I feel like I've got to keep actively staying back to keep this thing on schedule.

Would running this as "you set aside some time each night to read and get reading credit" while actively out adventuring mess things up? This is my first long-term CoC campaign, and I'm trying to avoid self-spoiling on what's in this book, so its been a bit difficult to figure out fixes that are balanced while not knowing what I'm balancing. How have other people handled the read times?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
He's a newer GM, and in general is learning the guy he learned CoC from did a whole lot of poo poo wrong. He's twigged on to the idea that the current book system isn't really working as well, and I'm trying to get ideas for how it should be adjusted to bring back to him. The core books themselves don't really give any guidance to what "study" is supposed to mean, outside of adjust it as you see fit. Great advice for experienced GMs, but he's not really there in this system.

As far as why? Basically the GM dropped a heavy hint/compulsion in the form of a power roll resulting in a supernatural feeling that I should read the book.