Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Doing stupid poo poo and getting killed is the salt of a long Cthulhu Campaign.

Currently I'm on my 5th character in the 'The Masks of Nyarlathotep" campaign and we have just entered London.
Most of the OG characters died in Peru and rest of the Peru survivors died in New York.

(1) Aging Broadway Actor faking being an archeologist died, because we released something. (Note: don't use lot of dynamite on a mythos sites)
(2) Old Catholic Priest / Cult leader ran away with a genuine mythos book. (Might be back)
(3) Weird Tales Novelist died fighting against a cult leader in NY.
(4) ex-Irish Freedom Fighter/Chicago Mob mechanic was detained and is in police custody in Liverpool (Probably will be back. Another player plays his Dreamlands-clone)
(5) Current one is a retired ME Colonial Administrator / Archeologist from North England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

sebmojo posted:

ran my first masks session, I stumbled a bit on the combat in 7e - can someone give me a quick explainer on how it works?

Do you have the GM screen?
It has very nice charts for combat.

DEX is initiative order. You can drop your DEX to act later.
Readied gun is +50 to DEX.

But basically (in melee) both sides roll dice and compare levels of success (normal/hard/extreme/critical)
Attacker wins ties if defender fights back or maneuvers.
Defender wins ties if they dodge.
If you have fought back / dodged this turn, your opponents get a bonus die when attacking you.
Flee lets you leave combat.

Ranged is unopposed roll (unless in melee range) and a bit more complicated. Especially if you have automatics / semis.
You need to check the chart for the bonus/penalty die from the book/screen.
After consulting arcane books, you roll your attack roll(s). And either you hit or not.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

sebmojo posted:

Just ran the Peru section of MoN, that kicked rear end. Think I gave my boys some genuine spooky chills. Elias was the dude who hung with them and helped them chill out when they lost sanity which worked ok. Onwards to his brutal demise!

So how did your players solve the thing?

My group:

Decided that the tunnels were too spooky, but the crack on top of the pyramid was key to enter... so we filled the crack with dynamite and freed some eldritch thing.

If I had to do a post-mortem on our decision making, then maybe sending someone qualified would have been better than sending an
Broadway Actor pretending to be an archeologist, a New York Lawyer and his secretary niece and a young NYT Cameraman to do the job.

Also jealous of how fast you're moving. We've been playing this campaign for almost 2 years and are still in London.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 2, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

PharmerBoy posted:

As far as why? Basically the GM dropped a heavy hint/compulsion in the form of a power roll resulting in a supernatural feeling that I should read the book.

That sounds like your character being corrupted by things that mankind weren't meant to know.

I'm not familiar with that particular book, but yeah making a player sit out whole sessions isn't cool in any rpg.
I'm there to have a good time and if I'm on a timeout, I'd rather just not show up.

I lost one of my characters in masks, because he got access to a mythos book.
But that was more of a voluntary retirement, because it really fit to my characters quest for forbidden lore and power.