Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Delta Green is being made into its own stand-alone game, although there aren't many specific details available right now. Announcement was made at Gencon 2011.

I freaking love these games! After a decade of nothing but fantasy gaming, I tried Call of Cthulhu back in 2010 and horror gaming is absolutely my wheelhouse. I've been trying to come up with a decent scenario for Cthulhu Dark but everything I come up with feels too complex, when I think half the draw there is the system's simplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

moths posted:

:siren: 7th edition rumors :siren:

I am bound under the NDA until Chaosium decides to release it, and I have no desire to get screwed by breaking it, so I can't confirm or deny anything here, but I enjoyed my playtest. I have run 6th edition fairly frequently, for reference, and was introduced to the game with it. I'm under the impression that the first 6 editions were relatively close in mechanics.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Trust me. When I can talk about it, I will. I have no interest in being sued, just inevitably failing in my struggles against ancient alien gods. :cthulhu:

Lord Frisk posted:

Are you allowed to say whether there is a mechanical difference between 7th and 6th?

Nope! Not yet, NDA's fairly complete.

I enjoyed the playtest a great deal.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Vedius Pollio posted:

So I bought pretty much all the CoC books location and scenario books set around Arkham when I was in high school, because I was psyched to run this expansive campaign set in the Miskatonic Valley in the '20s, what with being a native resident of rural Massachusetts and all. Unfortunately I was a loner Lovecraft nerd and didn't have a substantial group of Cthulhu-leaning friends for a long time, now I've decided to run the campaign for my circle at University. I've been listening to a lot of the Public Role-Playing Radio games, but I was wondering if you guys had any advice for starting out as a new Keeper, as in, rules I should really really know inside out before we begin play. I'm starting everyone out with The Edge of Darkness from the core book, since that puts us right in the middle of Arkham and potentially introduces the players to Armitage and the library. I was wondering, since being in Arkham and the detailed setting potentially offers some open-world options, how do you guys handle these threads in-game? Is there a way to let players explore the town without getting too off-track?

Here's my AP of Edge of Darkness from the RPPR community podcast, dunno if that might be useful. As I recall the majority of the adventure happens on-scene and there's very little going on in Arkham proper. Sanity is a must, try and get a feel for the combat, and get used to providing the minimum details of stuff so your players fill in the blanks with fear - overly detailed descriptions can wreck Call of Cthulhu if you're trying to imbue a scene with fear.

So I miiiight be doing a CoC Let's Play going through Masks of Nyarlathotep, still looking into logistics right now but it would be in the same sort of style as the current 4E, Rogue Trader and FATE threads. Any advice or tips (non-spoilery for my players who might read this) on running the campaign?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

KomradeX posted:

Also any news on 7th Edition?

As far as I am aware, NDA is still in effect and I haven't seen any announcements yet from Chaosium. I think they're still working through logistics from the Orient Express kickstarter, so no news yet on 7E.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

moths posted:

The only thing I heard that made cringe was the new skill system, which sounds like they were trying to steamline but actually made more complicated.

I want so badly to comment. The NDA cannot end soon enough.

Yeah, podcasting or any discussion with non-testers is pretty much verboten and they may be in some trouble with Chaosium if they have been.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

moths posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of book here - I'm really looking forward to the physical copy. PDFs are a great convenience, but it's distracting to have to zoom every time I turn the page.

I completely forgot about this until I read your post, but I spent the better part of a year refreshing Pagan's website before I could order Eyes Only, the reprinted chapbooks. You're completely right about the pacing.

I'm still waiting patiently for Horrors of War. :negative:

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
I still haven't gotten anything about the NDA dropping (frustrating as hell!), but I'll be frank and say I'm not laying down money for the Kickstarter and I don't know that I'll be buying this edition.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Peas and Rice posted:

Oh, interesting. Last I'd heard they were making it 7th Ed compatible, I didn't realize it was getting a standalone system.

This was also to avoid some of the licensing issues from Chaosium, who are famously draconian in the number of supplements they will allow you to publish and how you publish them.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Playtesting the new Delta Green RPG! Having a ton of fun doing it. Don't want to talk about it too much yet, but there's no NDA at present. Anyone else checking it out?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

moths posted:

I didn't know that was in playtest already! How backward compatible did they go with it?

I'm currently using the Bryson Springs scenario by Caleb Stokes to playtest it, though that didn't really have much in the way of stats. It seems very good at the sort of horror game they're going for. I don't know how much I'm really supposed to talk about mechanics as of yet, but if you wanted a game to run modern horror, you will definitely want to consider it.

Current phase of playtesting is still ongoing but will be ending soon. I'll ask Shane about what I can discuss and if/when I can upload the actual plays I've been recording for playtest purposes when I send my final playtest report.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 15, 2014

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

moths posted:

Ok yeah, I def don't want to get you into any trouble. Happy to hear it's at least this far in the dev cycle though.

Yeah, I was quite pleased to get the invite as I was worried it would end up in development hell like Pagan's Horrors of War. Dammit Glancy, I just want to run my group through U-Boote Heraus! :argh:

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
I have been waiting for this since listening to your first AP so it's practically mandatory for me to back this, but drat if they're not making it difficult. $45.00 is the first level that gets a softcover book, and absolutely no PDF option?

Man, Crowe's out there. They're getting my money, but I hope that he can be convinced otherwise.

Edit: Alright, $110 gets the book and an author Skype game? This pricing really makes no sense, but I'll take that deal. I just hope there's still spots available when I get out of work.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 1, 2014

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
What I've been advised by Shane that I can say about having playtested the game is that it was very fun, and that I can post the recording of our playtest session of the system once the game is released. We played through a very-slightly-modified Bryson Springs by Caleb Stokes as an early DG operation, instead of using the provided adventure, and it went very well.

It's going to be a cool game.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Weird question - any recommendations for a pulp-y CoC scenario that's a good entry for new players but also features at least one 'traditional' Great Old One? I have a dumb idea and it needs something with a bit of action that's still in the classic vein. Dreamlands might work as well?

(Also I need to murder some players to give them a good CoC experience)

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 17, 2015

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Rad, thank you!

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Where are you at in Masks?

The prologue of Masks is set in New York City at The Bad Death of Jackson Elias, and there aren't any situations like the one you described in that chapter.

It's a little difficult to follow what you are saying. You weren't allowed to do these things, or did you fail dice rolls? Did the GM or the players try to tell you not to do something?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
So it's not technically Delta Green, but if that is what you're looking for have I got a game for you!

The XCOM Files is a mod for the original XCOM: UFO DEFENSE from '93 that melds fighting aliens with hunting sasquatch and deep ones with two man teams operating out of rental cars. The whole thrust of the metagame is working out the logistics of building a covert paramilitary organization without screwing up and blowing too many ops in view of the public.

Name your warehouse base GREEN BOX and your starting squad after the Pagan team and see how long you can keep them alive and not murdered by MIBs!

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Kavak posted:

FTFY. Also who're the Pagan team?

Delta Green was written and originally published by Pagan Publishing, who are an eccentric crew.

Adam Scott Glancy, the current head, was on a Twitch stream for their new kickstarter, someone said the word "Nazi", and he picked up a shotgun from off camera and reflexively racked a shell.

Life, uh, imitates art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Like I said, It just felt... right... for ASG to be hunting Dagon cultists.

He's picked up pretty good shotgun exp!