Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spamman5r
Oct 2, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I guess I'll start us off with a question: me and my friends love Arkham Horror, but we've gotten really good at it and thus the threat of the Ancient One awakening is less of a threat and more "bonus round for laughs after sealing 6 gates." Can someone make a recommendation for an expansion to get that would make things more challenging without just making things straight-up harder?

All three of the large expansion board are basically "maintain me or bad things happen." The consensus seems to be that Innsmouth and Dunwich are good and Kingsport is not. I'm not sure how to challenge you without making things harder, though.

With Dunwich, spawned monsters disappear into vortexes which eventually spawn the Dunwich Horror, kind of a mini-boss. If you let him live he'll add doom tokens. Innsmouth is pretty close to the same, you need to spend clues in locations to keep the Deep Ones track from filling up or the Ancient One spawns immediately. However, the Innsmouth board is generally harder and you can be jailed just for being on it at certain points in the game

You can also get the expansions just for the herald varient, where you add additional effects that make things more difficult. (Though that's probably the opposite of what you're looking for). Also, the expansions have "Gate Burst" Mythos cards which, if they pop in the right location, can blow away your seals.

Frankly, I find the best Arkham experience is just to throw it all together and let the randomness reign supreme. You're going to lose unfairly sometimes and you're going to win easily sometimes, but it's truly the journey that's important. When we play, we do it with the Innsmouth and Dunwich boards plus all of the small expansions. There's a lot of features from the expansions that I'd hate to miss, like Personal Stories or Injury/Madness cards that add extra choices in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU