Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Just want to show some love for Cthulhu Dark. It's really nice because it lets you focus more on storycrafting and the social aspect, and you never have to stop to look something up in the book. I've been using it a lot lately for the games I DM, and one of my buddies has been using it for Sci-Fi/Horror games. It's pretty adaptable.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Hey, I could really use some help hammering out a scenario I'm working on.

It's heavily based on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Charles, a young student, has been confined to Arkham Asylum after an apparent nervous breakdown; his demeanor has completely changed and the police are trying to link him to a recent string of prostitute murders. His parents offer to pay the investigators to find out what caused his break with reality and to clear his name.

The truth is that Charles is dead and the "Charles" in the asylum is an imposter.

The investigators discover that Charles had become obsessed with an ancestor, Joseph Curwen, after discovering his portrait and diary. Charles rented a farmhouse that sits on Curwen's property near Salem. This is the setting for most of the investigation.

Eventually, the investigators learn that Curwen was a necromancer who had preyed on his neighbors for his experiments; unfortunately, the dead must feed on the blood of the living in orderer to avoid the pain of being, well, dead. Charles had raised Curwen, using a spell in his diary. Curwen, who bears an uncanny resemblance to Charles (as seen in the portrait if the investigators find it), murdered him and stuffed his body in a wall of the farmhouse. He assumed Charles' identity and feasted on prostitutes until he was committed.

Underneath the farmhouse is a sprawling labyrinth full of Curwen's not-quite-dead experiments. If the investigators explore it, they can find a spell to banish the undead, and choose to use it on Curwen in the asylum.

Here's what I'm bumping into- the backstory is a little complicated, so I'm not sure how to elegantly drop clues. I use Resident Evil-style diary clippings sometimes, but I think it'd be easy to overuse them here.

I also don't know how to motivate the investigators to bother exploring the crypt beneath the farmhouse, or to bother doing a whole lot of anything after discovering Charles' corpse.

If anyone has any advice, I'd really love the input. :)

Edit- just wanted to add that Charles has a history of anxiety, and his parents hired a psychiatrist for him. The psychiatrist attempted to visit Charles at the farmhouse after he went MIA for awhile, and, meeting Curwen and believing him to be Charles with a major shift in affect, had him committed.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 24, 2013

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Splicer posted:

Make Charles a Zombie, stick him in the same room as the entry to the caverns. The Investigators will go "Oh look a Zombie. Oh look a dark, ominous entryway to the local cave system." Then they'll either go looking, or say "gently caress this I'm not going in there quick kill the Zombie and let's get our money."

Or have his corpse up on a slab where it was about to be reanimated before Curwen was interrupted. Basically have their goal (find Charles) lead directly to the next mystery (oh look a creepy crypt).

e: or have Charles the Surprisingly Nimble Zombie be carrying the book in question. He understands it's important but not why. When the Detectives enter the experiment room, Charles wanders out to see the noise, the investigators see the doppelganger of their client carrying A Creepy Book, if/when they try to take it off him/approach him he bolts into the caverns with it and leads them in a merry dance of evil monsters until they corner him.

Sweet, thanks! I think I might lure them with the trap door and have Charles be dissected on an operating table in the main laboratory.