Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

moths posted:

D20 Call of Cthulhu was such a mixed blessing for the game. On the one hand, D20 was king and this got the game(s) some badly-needed exposure - but on the other hand it wasn't really a great fit. Weird Fiction deals with a lot of things, but level 3 Defensive Option newspaper man is pushing even that. Horror doesn't really do so well in that sort of mechanics-as-physics model.

Agreed. With the way skills and stats work in CoC, it definitely plays into the idea that you are ordinary people with a lifetime's worth of experience encountering cosmic, unfathomable horror. With the way d20 systems work though, it doesn't quite handle it as well. d20 systems are very combat-oriented (though there are skills!) and a central tenet of CoC is that if you engage in combat, then you're doing something wrong/are incredibly desperate. Skills are the more preferable route towards dealing with situations. Chaosium's system is built around the design intent, while d20 Cthulhu is an attempt to try to shoehorn that into the confines of a d20 system. It was bound to be a little wonky.

One thing that I love the 6th edition rulebook (and for that matter, most every Chaosium CoC book) for doing is including some of Lovecraft's short stories. If you ever wanted reference material to build your own campaign with, what better resource to use than the work itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

moths posted:

:pcgaming: Callout for 7e CoC Playtesters is up.

Limited space, but I think that limiting groups to those that can complete a physical NDA is probably going to weed out all the early lookie-loos that would spam BRING BACK RESISTANCE TABLE without playing anything anyway.

You can do it digitally, provided that you have the know-how and the willingness to, but once again having to actually complete and sign and NDA will do a fantastic job of weeding out angry grogs. You know, since odds are they don't have any friends who would willingly let them sign such a document.

In all seriousness though, it just means they'll get people who want to playtest and have already organized a group. Which means they just might be who they need to playtest the game.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Does anyone have recommendations for pre-made adventures for Call of Cthulhu? If so, could you also give some tips/advice for running the campaign or just being a Keeper in general?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Quarex posted:

Edit: Hold everything, at the next stretch goal they also include a #2 pencil with the set. I am back on board.

(I want to give them the benefit of the doubt for the $125,000 goal "Big-Big Art Boost" and hope that it is somehow related to making the book actually even close to the quality of the other editions)

#2 pencil? I can't get those anywhere anymore! SOLD, for $200!

Seriously though, I have my doubts about the art. You know how with foreign countries the number of words related to democracy in its name, the less democratic it is (I'm looking at you, Democratic People's Republic of Korea)? I feel like the more words synonymous with "more" in the titles for the art stretch goals, the less art actually ends up in the book.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So as part of my work, I end up checking/editing some pretty funny/awful/interesting translations to English.

One in particular involves Looney Tunes...

...The translator called the show "Gugs Bunny". Cue some comical/grotesque fusion of a Gug and Bugs Bunny.

I suddenly feel compelled to collect/give $300 to them so I can add "Gugs Bunny" to the rulebook.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Any word on the new edition?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Any tips on running Masks of Nyarlathotep? I'm not internet-rich enough to contribute to Yog-Sothoth in order to get access to the MoN Companion, so I'm wondering what advice y'all can offer me.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'm kicking in for the Delta Green Agent's Book in hardback just to try to get closer to 120k. Once that happens, I'll probably kick in more for the bigger rulebook. I played with some of the new rules at GenCon this year, and I have to say that I really like them. It's BRP, but is definitely trying to go for more of the GUMSHOE angle with some of the skills and I really like how bonds work. Bonds are definitely a cool mechanic for regaining sanity and RPing your character outside of his Delta Green job.

Now that I think about it, I just had a lot of good first impressions of the system. So I'm more than happy to shuffle $50 their way to get it made today, even if the reward tiers get better.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Did anyone else here sign up for the DG playtest, and if so did they get the materials? I signed up, but I haven't seen them (they were supposed to come out yesterday) and I want to review it for a few days before I run it with a group this weekend.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So I ran The Star Chamber this weekend as part of the Delta Green playtest.

Spoilers below:

For my group, the transition to scene one to scene two was a bit jarring, and that could probably use some more explanation for the GM. Granted, I'm relatively amateur as a GM (this was my third time) but it still seemed a little unclear. Nevertheless it is definitely NOT for people who like to play min-maxed munchkins with little roleplaying - this scenario is super-heavy on the role-playing and is very reliant on your players driving conflict.

Overall, I was really pleased with some of the flexibility of the scenario and some of the guidance given to the GM. I decided to make one of the NPCs a Chaucha sympathizer just because it was a lot more interesting to have the PCs back the wrong horse. It ended up working out really well anyway since one of the PCs (Roger) not only went temporarily insane, but also passed a breaking point and allowed me to give them megalomania. My players thought that Task Force T.I. was almost hilariously inept, made all the better by the fact that they played them that way. They really enjoyed the cards telling them how to act differently in each other's stories, and they really appreciated that these different portrayals actually had in-game consequences.

I was really surprised that in the end, my players picked Rachel as the Chaucha sympathizer, though they were definitely leaning towards Ramona and possibly just liquidating the whole team.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Yoshimo posted:

Did I have a dream that 7th edition was out yet?

I've heard many tales about 7th edition - something around the lines of "frittered away all of the money" and "cleaning house" were some of the things I've heard.

Glad to hear they're getting it back on track, but it's been a horror show so far.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Yoshimo posted:

Speaking of Masks, is it still possible to get the Masks Companion any more, or am I just going to have to wait for the Kickstarter to be released?

You can find it on the internet (but no longer at yog-sothoth.com) but it's definitely :filez: at this point.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 23, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sionak posted:

They will, but the original timeline was wildly optimistic. I have backed other ArcDream kickstarters, and while they have always been late, they have delivered and the product has been worth it.

Either way, for starting a lot later, they're still going to come out around the same time as CoC 7th Edition which is remarkable for two reasons. One, it's amazing that they are actually able to get CoC 7th to print despite the actions of old Chaosium. Two, that's still an impressively short timeline to get a Delta Green from Kickstarter to backers' hands.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

clockworkjoe posted:

Yithian technology

Particularly clever investigators will also seize upon the fact that one piece of Yithian technology in particular can break certain aspects of the adventure...

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I get that a lot of Cthulhu-related things are either public domain or freely shared, but I'm a little tired of Cthulhu-related reskins of popular games as a lazy cash-in.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

moths posted:

It happens with just about anything that gets big, though. If anything just consider it a good sign for the IP's health.

More presence improves the chances of catalyzing the next larval-stage Ligotti's or Campbell's blossoming into a full-on horror writer. As hard as my eyes rolled at Cthulhu Monopoly, if it prompts even one bookish kid anywhere to look a little deeper, it's probably a net positive.

The other side of the coin is that said kid might just avoid it entirely - because they got the impression it's all silly stuff and John Kovalik illustrations.

Solid points for and against. Speaking of cash-ins that might have a lot of popularity, there's always Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Otisburg posted:

Delta Green corebooks and keeper screens have arrived on the Slow Boat and should be shipped by the end of July. I'm stoked. Still old school enough to like physical books.

I, for one, am also stoked. Although it's easier to locate what you want in a .pdf, I find .pdf rulebooks much harder to read than physical ones. I just don't retain it as well.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Swagger Dagger posted:

I read through Star Chamber, the new Delta Green adventure from the kickstarter and it's got a great premise but it seems like it might be hard to actually play through. Have any of you run a Rashomon-style story with flashbacks before?

You're in luck, because I actually playtested it for them (my name is very much there at the end with the rest of my group)!

They are absolutely right about it being a terrible first adventure or an adventure that ends a campaign. It is an excellent one-off session that can leave more plot threads to weave into ongoing tales, though.

What's important is that you as the GM are instrumental in moving things forward. Some people might get angry about being 'railroaded', but as a better GM points out 'railroads are not bad as long as they take you somewhere fun'. Basically, once players get to a point where things seem to slow down, you get to drop the next part of the tale on them and have them act it out. It's really very cool in practice, and I had a good group of people that were very eager to play each character's prompt to the hilt. As you transition from scene to scene, you want to keep half of your players 'in' their secondary roles to field questions from the primaries, and your most critical player or weakest roleplayer should probably take the role of the guy that dies since they'll be playing their primary character most of the time and as such will be a more 'neutral' party in the proceedings.

With the Rashomon-style tale, it's very important to have those prompts dictating how people should act in other people's tales. It also helps foment conflict between the secondary characters in the present as well, since one person might see someone as a jackass (and they'll come off that way in the tale) while they perceive themselves as a saint (and act accordingly). While the GM moves things forward, it's important to remember that The Star Chamber is very player-driven - how well the players assume the roles of their secondaries goes a very long way to fleshing out the adventure. If your players can't role-play very well and don't take well to direction, it's a bad adventure to run them through because they'll chafe at being 'told' how to act. Players need to be willing to embrace the idea of playing a different character, warts and all, and run with it. The Star Chamber might actually be a pretty good release for a player group that's going through a bit of tension, as the secondary characters are allowed (better yet - encouraged) to be out-and-out hostile towards each other but in a way that's relatively free of consequences for their primary characters.

I will also be playing it as a player at Gen Con this year, so I am looking forward to seeing how it works on 'the other side' with someone from Arc Green running it.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 1, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Just talked to Greg Stolze at Gen Con about The Star Chamber and nerded out over the scenario.

He is a cool and good dude.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Picked up CoC 7th at GenCon. Impressions:

-Amazing that they lived up to their Kickstarter promises (color pages, good quality paper, etc.) despite Krank spending all of the money to finish Horror on the Orient Express.
-The hardback books (not the leather-bound ones) are beautiful and definitely a good change from the rulebook for CoC 6th.
-Quite a number of typographical issues in the Keeper's Rulebook, but I think this is a consequence of 'we need to finish this under a tight deadline and budget' more than anything.
-The new rules make a lot of practical sense, and I really like the addition of Hard and Extreme successes as a way to determine the severity of success. Pushing rolls is also a much-needed mechanic in a game that is reliant on finding clues, although it's still not as 'right-headed' as ToC.
-Overall, I am pleased with the product.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Peas and Rice posted:

Chaosium bringing on Jim Lowder to kick rear end and take names was one of the best things they've ever done. Overall, 7th edition is great. Some of the artwork seems a little too modern for me, but I feel that way about most D&D artwork these days too so I'm just a cranky old grog when it comes to mah pictures.

When I asked about the production hiccups and its adventure getting to market, the guys at the Chaosium booth merely said "The gears of Sandy Petersen turn slowly, but when they do they are exacting in their detail."

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

He can also be just plain insane and able to do so instinctively. Masks of Nyarlathotep has an NPC whose insanity enables him to pull a whole bunch of dingoes over from the Dreamlands that are effectively invincible. The villain could pass in and out of the Dreamlands nearly at-will (the Investigators should have an opportunity to catch him - if not, the party could try thwarting him in both the Dreamlands and in the waking world by having some of them go over to the Dreamlands via drug use/sleep rituals to intercept him and have a party of 'awake' investigators ready to catch him when he tries to retreat into reality).

Sprinkle some clues about a ritual or method to anchor his exit point in the Dreamlands somewhere near the party in realspace.

One method I've heard of people using are Nightgaunts, since they can travel to the Dreamlands or just about anywhere. If you want the party to interact with Nodens, then there's an opportunity to get some assistance from him to this end.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 12, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Anybody playtest the latest scenario for Delta Green written by Greg and Shane? I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for running it.

Generally, I'm interested in tips for moving the adventure along two different tracks - one smaller group of party members who are undercover at a cult, and the other who are providing outside support/doing independent research.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sionak posted:

I ran it. I enjoyed it overall and recommend it. The showdown at the end went spectacularly poorly for the agents. I think your idea is solid, and while there's plenty of great support for the cult angle, I'd prep a bit more stuff for the support/outside group to do.

So I ran it as well, and it did go spectacularly terribly for the agents at the end as well! That's mostly because one of my players decided to do the Wrong Thing deliberately.

My players did not like it very much, to be truthful. However, I think there were some factors that I could have mitigated better.

-The scenario as written is almost completely reliant on having somebody with a high% Biology Skill. I attempted to signal this subtlely by having two of the seven pregenerated characters I made have the requisite skill, as I was expecting six players. I ended up with four. None of them picked the medics. We had some problems.

-The scenario also has another solution in 'going loud' on the cultists. I did create a character who was accustomed to violence and would have the necessary skills/resources to liquidate a cultist compound. In addition to not picking the medics, the players did not pick this character. :smith: I'm going to blame this on having made the rest of the characters too good, with regards to hooks (i.e., I had an ex-IRA DG Agent, and the best person to play the character picked them and was amazing. However, this wasn't one of the 'essential' characters, which I realized after the fact)

-When it came time to send people undercover, the players only elected to send one person undercover. I probably should've had one of the NPCs lean harder on them to send two people in (and in retrospect I can think of ways to do so), but this complicated things when they did not have the requisite skills (i.e., Accounting) to make the most of the evidence they found.

-I probably could've prepped more for the outside group. They felt like they were spinning their wheels, and I couldn't come up with ways on the fly to guide them to some interesting material without giving the whole thing away. To be fair though, they expected that a lot of the investigation would have been done beforehand thanks to the existence of a related case (the disappearance of the Galworthys) and they thought that they basically received all of the notable information from that from the briefing (when this is not the case).

From what it sounds like, you guys zigged where Shane and Greg expected you to zig. My group zagged every time, but I hope that means we produced some really good playtesting notes!

Also, they did not like the appearance of one of the creatures. One of my players audibly said "Really?" in response to it.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 24, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

What was heartbreaking for me is that the investigation group really didn't follow on any leads, but they came up with something novel that didn't actually... work, in context?

In retrospect, I should've given them SOMETHING. What they wanted to do was use traffic cameras to check the plates of cars to see where the Galworthys entered and exited (it helped that the computer scientist on the team zEro c00l, had Comp Sci at 80%). But I ran into the issue of either 1) spoiling the location of the action too soon and 2) in the context of the location, there's no infrastructure there that would allow them to obtain that information.

Had I been thinking faster on my feet, I could've said that the whole process would take a couple days and at the end of it, tell them that the signals disappear heading in that direction, and the only thing of note out that way is (drops EPA report on the table).

Still, they weren't really ambitious on the investigative end of things (they didn't try a lot - what I talked about above represents really the ONE angle they took, and that was after days) and the one person who went undercover very nearly blew the whole operation early by physically stealing documents (which is 100% certain to be noticed).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 24, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Anybody run Kali Ghati and had the group decide 'gently caress it, let's bribe the Afghans' instead?

Because I'm kind of hoping my upcoming group decides on that approach, because I am ready to roll with it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Elendil004 posted:

KG is one of the weaker scenarios, it was basically a playtest of the new DG combat rules and it kinda shows. I've had fun running it but I've never had fun playing it for what it's worth.

I think you can have a lot of fun with it, I just think you need some context to Afghanistan in order to really have fun with it. Otherwise, as a player, I can see it being a fairly linear scenario with some combat setpieces that ends in a meat grinder.

I do have some of that context having done civilian contract work out in Afghanistan, so I'm adding a few more notes to the scenario in case one of my players at this convention game (which is taking place in DC, so it's fairly likely I will have a player who's done similar contract work in the country) also has that context and wants to run with it. This includes paying the fairly brave, fairly bribe-able, and definitely under-equipped ANA to cart them around the place to try to circumvent the bureaucracy and paper trail involved with getting the U.S. Army to do it for them.

(Because trust me, they're not keeping any paperwork on where they sourced that RPG that they got for the Agents by calling a cousin who called a few other cousins who called a friend nearby who just so happened to have one. Besides, if they pull off the mission successfully, DG might just be willing to pay off the massive debt they incurred before it hits their bank accounts...)

Of course, I could say no and fall back on the fact that the Afghans in general seem aware of Kali Ghati and how no-good it is, but... who's to say that the ANA forces are locals? They could just be a bunch of Tajiks and Uzbeks from the North, blissfully unaware of what the local Pashtuns know, who are eager to make a quick buck taking some idiot Americans to a nearby village.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Trip report:

My players DID have a lot of fun with Kali Ghati. They got sick of all of the bureaucratic officiousness of the American soldiers on base (the American commander knows there's a shitstorm coming and is engaging in CYA, after all) and wound up bribing the ANA to take them to the village.

I had all of the rules written out for this potential scenario :getin:

If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to provide them for reference. Basically, they have to figure out a way past Byers (convincing him that he doesn't need to be present for interacting with the ANA is key) and talk to the ANA Commander, who's more than happy to let them use personal expenses to pay for weapons/assistance (using them instead of the Americans is considered an Extreme expense, but all of the Agents can agree to chip in to make it a Major expense for everybody. Depending on the success of the mission, DG may or may not reimburse them (which will restore the lost bond damage)). After that, the ANA Commander is more than happy to smuggle them out of the base (no need to worry about the Americans) and for fun, I decided that he felt like 'AKs for Everybody!' was a nice way to sweeten the deal.

I did give them more of a chance, though. Instead of being in the MRAP that gets IED'd, they were in one of the ANA Humvees that did not (if they were, TPK - an IED that can disable an MRAP enough that it will eventually blow up will rip through a Humvee like paper) - but the ANA sent three (to compensate for the fact that they'd instantly lose one) Humvees as opposed to two MRAPs. I also wrote out the ANA Commander, who quickly became one of my favorite NPCs.

I didn't run the village going absolutely bonkers once they encounter the Bad, but the players did force an encounter with the Bad by using a grenade on the murderous guides (lots of blood to awaken that sleeper). One got eaten in the escape, but the rest made it out.

Overall, I'd say that the scenario runs in about 5-6 hours, but you can make it play out in four if you gloss over the murderous village. That village is pretty much salt on the wound at that point though, since it's likely quite a few are temporarily insane from their encounter with the sleeper and they probably don't have an vehicles left. Kali Ghati can really mulch agents, though - I'd only play it as a one-shot with the pre-generated characters instead of it being a part of a larger campaign.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 9, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Elendil004 posted:

It even got a Shane Ivey reply

I'm just going to sit here geeking out for a bit. This is proper enough motivation to get these rules into a Google Doc to share with the list.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Southern Heel posted:

I enjoyed playing a one-shot Call of Cthulhu game with some friends last year, but it was quite hard for me as a first-time GM. The issue was that the crux of the adventure didn't NEED any preparation - a haunted house, if they go into the basement and use the phantom knife to kill the mummified body then they 'win'. The entire adventure could have been a few minutes if they'd randomly picked that course of action instead of going to the hall of records, library, police station, etc. first - and even then there weren't any clues or hidden information that would have had a meaningful impact. It's fairly simple to connect 'floating dagger' with 'thing clearly controlling the floating dagger'.

So, I'm looking for a way to bring this to both the modern era, and to involve higher stakes so that individual successes and failures matter less than the overall progression.

That's the interesting part about CoC/Delta Green - yes, the crux of the scenario needs little preparation and they could very well stumble into it. But it's the knowledge that players gain through preparation that enables them to survive or avoid devastating consequences.

To use a modern example - in Delta Green, overwhelming force is often a good answer to most of your problems. One scenario (which is still in revisions) even flat out says that violence is an extremely effective solution - pulping the entire compound of faux-cultists prevents the threat from materializing for quite some time. But the nuance comes from the fact that they're faux-cultists, and not actually indoctrinated into the otherworldly being's cult. Therefore, they are innocents - any character who isn't accustomed to violence is likely going to lose a ton of sanity, go temporarily insane, pass a breaking point, deteriorate their bonds, and gain a mental disorder from the experience.

To avoid those consequences, PCs need to prepare and learn which people in the cult are actually under the sway of an ineffable god, how it knows what is going on, how it controls people, where it lay sessile, and what it needs to either stay awake or start moving. With this information, players are able to realize the 'best' solution to the scenario - subdue the cultists with non-violent methods, prevent them from offering the god what it needs to start moving, and maybe realize what it takes to destroy it while it can't move (or call in backup from Delta Green to take it into custody - for research purposes, of course).

Without any of this, the god is likely to get the materials it needs to start moving, and once it can move the PCs aren't really able to threaten it as much as it can threaten them. It can also escape easily and become a long-term antagonist throughout the characters' careers. Finally, it will probably be a bit of a black mark on their personnel files if it gets free under their watch.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Somebody from the Program had him review/translate/resuscitate a hard drive and he saw something that he shouldn't have. Personally, he laughed it off (thought it was something akin to 9/11 truther nonsense) but the next thing he knows he's inducted into this mysterious program that reminds him of one of his favorite movies, Burn After Reading. Generally, he assumes that the people in DG are about as capable as the characters in that movie.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Elendil004 posted:

I think at this point, with the handlers the guide done that's all basically good. ArcDream consistently overdelivers late and I'm ok with that.

They are also very self-aware when it comes to this and I know for a fact that Shane feels bad about the Handler's Guide delivery date. So much so that they're holding off on launching their Wrestlenomicon Kickstarter until they feel that they've fulfilled their DG promises.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:shrug: I mean, hypothetically they could, but I don't know why they would, especially when the higher-ups would have some awkward questions afterwards about why they got that close to Ellis only to chicken out before they actually reached him.

Indeed. The mission is to confirm Ellis' status - that means that the PCs need to see him in his current state. If they see a creepy village and gently caress off, A-Cell is going to have some mighty severe questions for them especially if they spent the lives of uninitiated personnel. That requires no small amount of covering up, especially if there's damage/destruction to valuable material (like the MRAP). Military property like MRAPs have very anal-retentive paperwork requirements which leave very obvious paper trails. Hilariously, US dollars do not have the same amount of attention/due diligence paid to them, doubly so if they come with CIA personnel.

I still need to finish up that brief rules brief on bribing the ANA for Kali Ghati, but I'm confident it will be worth it!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Been going over my Handler's Guide for the past couple of days. Have barely scratched the surface, but what I've read I love. It's nice to get a good summary of the metaplot/how they've advanced the setting outside of the fiction, and the profiles for all of the major players (both Program and Outlaws) are compelling - they're exactly what you would expect out of people who have been doing this stuff for so long and yet barely maintained their sanity. The guidance is great too, and there's a lot of room within the fluff to run spin-off Delta Greens. For example, if you wanted to capture the feel of 90s-style DG against MAJESTIC, you could always play up the Program vs. Outlaws angle - or you could set it inside Russia where the players are the conspiracy and the enemy is that division of the GRU (which is acting a whole lot like MAJESTIC used to).

Other things - I'm sure they'll bring him back in some capacity, but it's nice to see them have Alzis just drop off the map completely on a whim.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kavak posted:

Alzis died on the way back to his home planet.

I wish they'd used a font or something to distinguish the IRL events from DG events post-2000, and for 2017 focused more on what the Trump administration means for Delta Green. How has Comey's firing and Trump's leader picks affected the federal agencies DG agents populate? What about the State Department? Is anything unnatural more or less of a threat because of the new administration? As it is, it feels more like the writer has an axe to grind.

In order for them to write about them at length, they would need a fair amount of inside knowledge on how those agencies are reacting. Which, given attitudes towards leaks, is INCREDIBLY hard to come by for people outside of the government, let alone people outside of Washington, DC (none of the major DG writers are inside the DC area, I believe). Morale is down and the State Department is hollowed out relative to its past strength, but anyone that DG is recruiting/has recruited is not going to get caught up in the groundswell of departures.

That being said, the historical attitude for most agencies - and most people that Delta Green would recruit - is that they will outlast whoever's in office.

The real question you should be asking is - How has the Trump Administration affected the public's faith in the federal government? That has a real answer that's easy to source/understand, and that has a real implication on Delta Green's ability to do its job. For example:
  • Flash federal credentials with impunity out in rural areas and the agents will attract an unhealthy level of suspicion and in rare cases outright hostility from local authorities/leaders.
  • A continuously-impoverished rural class leaves them open to influence from outside powers promising a better life, and rural towns next to the ocean are in extreme danger of falling under the sway of Deep Ones (which will make them Priority One targets for the Director).
  • Immigration crackdowns and other international affairs foibles not only make it harder for Delta Green agents abroad to solicit the help of Friendlies, but the focus on the Enemy Without (immigrants causing trouble) is creating a vacuum for the Enemy Within (U.S. citizens engaging in cult activity).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Owlbear Camus posted:

On the "plus" side anyone up to suspected Cthulhu stuff short of a full citizen, including legal permanent residents and green card holders, can now be bad-jacketed and deported with comparatively trivial ease. "Oh those weird tattoed squiggles? MS-13 stuff. Bad Hombre. Better get him on the next plane out Senior ICE Agent Knuckledragger, thanks for your cross-agency cooperation."

Man, totally forgot to contemplate the fact that ICE now has a lot more legal (but in reality it's probably extralegal) authority in this day and age. Don't forget that increased defense budgets mean lots of irresponsibly-spent cash, which includes more operating funds siphoned off the top for the Program - you can run them as slightly better-funded than they used to be. Hell, even the Outlaws could manage to score a spot of that cash somehow. Just file off 'anti-terrorism' and replace it with 'anti-immigration'.

Mueller investigation can still be totally relevant, though - in his investigation, he comes across account items that at quick glance appear to be ways to launder money and he takes that angle. A Friendly working the investigation, though, blanches when he sees a 'G. Marsh' as the owner of the company account 'Es. O. Dag., ZAO' and quickly informs Delta Green.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Mueller stuff is in there?

It's mainly just a recounting of recent history as part of the overall timeline.

Other ideas:
  • The 24/7 media circus around the Trump Administration makes it much easier for Delta Green to conceal its operations. Who cares about the strange bodies found in the local river when the President is saluting enemy soldiers and slandering Canada?
  • The Pee Tape - rather, Pee Tapes - exist, and the Director knows just where to hide copies. Presidential blackmail enables the Director to pursue his mad quest to purge all known and soon-to-be-known Deep Ones with reckless abandon and near-unlimited legal authority.
  • Russian interference isn't limited to electioneering - since the election, certain members of Delta Green see a dramatic uptick in the number of GRU cells operating in the United States. Their goals often run counter to those of Delta Green - for instance, they desire to collect and experiment with any and all Unnatural knowledge they can - and some missions start to go pear-shaped when the GRU, acting as third-parties, start interfering.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kavak posted:

And I thought my campaign idea of "The Director mindswaps with Trump when he threatens the Program and the Deep One hunt " was too much.

Hey man, this is inspired by the Handler's Guide where they write, no joke, that in order to keep recruits who bounce off DG from ever talking about the program they tell them to look in their kitchen for a USB drive full of child porn and then muse to the now-failed recruit 'imagine how many USB drives there could be' when they call the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

LatwPIAT posted:

I do wish they'd gone with "Bush Jr. shuts down Majestic 12 because he's angered by their incompetence in stopping 9/11 and failure to locate Osama" rather than "Majestic 12 pretends it doesn't exist to Bush Jr and Bush Sr keeps mum about it".

Actually Bush Sr. doesn't keep mum about it? He directly asks Bush Jr. 'How useful was The Report?' and the resulting White House scramble to procure The Report (which is no longer accurate/obtainable due to the breaking of the Accords) leads to a lot of work on Majestic's part to prevent exposure and to keep some of those vital details (e.g., they're incompetent) from leaking out.