Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

I'm sure you can update the feel of it, and it's pretty necessary to do so. Switch over from a very 90s 'big government conspiracies run everything, are bringing black helicopters to unwittingly feed you to Mi-Go/yet another avatar of Nyarlathotep' style to one more about dingy amoral bureaucrats who know exactly what they're doing and don't care. Extraordinary rendition, private security companies, and growing international tensions offer a pretty fertile ground to work with, imo, so long as they don't go for a lazy 'map the war on terror onto space aliens' approach. From rumours I heard, they were updating the plot to have Delta Green as the victors in their struggle with MJ 12 or something, so having their very dodgy networks crudely grafted onto government power sounds like it could be good.

I think the one thing that they really do need to do is flesh out what some of the other country's agencies are doing, given the increasingly questionable US hegemony today - Delta Green had 'lol magic mounties' and 'the entire UK paranormal division is overrun by trepanning brain wasps', but the main show was still very much American. I'd like to see how they could integrate a more international feel into it, while keeping the distinct DG feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

ack posted:

DG is serious bussiness, The Laundry is satire.

To expand a bit on this, they've also got slightly different focuses. I haven't played the Laundry much, but if it's anything like the books, it's much more about the Mythos side of the Cthulhu-RPG experience. Sure, there's a lot of fun stuff about the bureaucracy and budgeting, but I always felt that the threat was much more heavily rooted in weird space bugs/spirits, and the Laundry's failure/success in reacting to them. Delta Green, by contrast, has a really heavy emphasis on the 'old men, running the world'/human curiosity applied to the mythos angle. Sure, ancient alien horrors are a huge threat, but what's even more of a threat are the people who decide that they should be trafficking with them to gain geostrategic advantage. Is worse if they're corrupted or enslaved by fungi from yuggoth, or if they manage to get a pet Grey feeding them weapon schematics? What will they do with it? I particularly like that ambiguity, it adds new complications to what's otherwise often a fairly simple story.

Also, I'm kinda a Delta Green partisan, but on the serious/satire angle, I always found that it's quite easy to turn Delta Green into a super campy/fun X-Files-esque romp and back again, whereas the satire is more heavily baked into the Laundry setting - I can't imagine playing a serious, grim session of the Laundry.