Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's sort of odd to me, having run the Haunting once (and that being sort of the extent of my CoC GMing experience) that the archetypal first scenario for CoC ends in a boss fight that, by the adventure (at least in the copy of the book I have) suggests the players should just straight up battle the villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So the Haunting was a hit with my group and I'll be running an altered Edge of Darkness, linked to it by a few changes. Marian Allen is already linked to the Chapel of Contemplation, making it slightly more explicit he learned some of his sorcery from the sinister Pastor Michael Thomas (my group has hit on him as a *weird* element of the whole Corbitt mystery and so he'll probably become a campaign problem). But the issue I take with the adventure is that you're dealing with a monster in the attic who can leave the house and hunt a little, but not far, as the wards are only just failing. The entire adventure is just going into the house and repeating a chant for 2 hours while the monster tries to freak you out or interrupt without being able to directly interfere; the mechanics are mostly just rolling Sanity and hoping it goes well without really making any decisions or discovering any clues or making preparations beyond 'have one PC standing by with the trusty BAR in case of trouble'.

What are some suggestions for things I could add to put some more decisions and strategy into this instead of just the PCs trying to survive a bunch of San rolls? The final plot of the Thing is just showing itself and hoping someone loses more than 5 on a d8 to disrupt them at the finish line, and that feels like a weak final challenge or last emergency.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kavak posted:

Their quality varies but I am an absolute sucker for all the flashback mini-scenarios in Horror on the Orient Express. Give me entire campaigns of that because I'm never getting Eternal Darkness 2.

Those were so goddamn cool. Just a fantastic idea for changing a campaign up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There are too many skills in CoC and they're too narrow as it is, and Library Use is like the one skill you 100% know is going to come up and will always be worth investing in, so expanding it as such instead of adding a new skill is probably the right call.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lumbermouth posted:

Shout out to one of my players thinking it was incredibly funny and not frustrating that his statistician character fell through the floor in the Chapel of Contemplation and immediately broke his neck and died.

Call of Cthulhu: Where a d6 of damage is actually real bad for you!

Did the bed get any of them, I love stories of the death-bed and its triumphs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lumbermouth posted:

He was the one that survived the bed! Our bootlegger also got critted by the floating knife but I thankfully rolled very low on the additional damage. I've enjoyed letting the dice fall where they may.

Watching one of my players just go 'Oh god I don't know what to do!' when the knife showed up on them after they blew off the lock and rushed out of the bedroom (after their big, kinda dumb coast-guard lawyer went flying out the window and they didn't know if he was alive or dead) was one of the highlights of that session for me.

The day was saved by the gay occultist novelist's excellent Dodge where he baited the knife into coming at him full speed and got it stuck in the wall, and then they all ran like hell. There really is something to 'physical damage is something you really need to worry about and take seriously' and how it makes players react to physical danger.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah the study times have always been nonsense.

Just replace weeks with days, or even hours, or whatever the hell feels appropriate.

They even say this much in the book (framed as 'many scenarios require the Investigators to be able to study The Book faster, so allow it in these cases') without thinking about what this means! If most of your published scenarios don't use anything like your ludicrous study times because they destroy the pacing, why do you have them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hell yeah, gently caress Corbitt.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean my players dealt with him with a BAR and a Colt .45.

They don't give you a lot of other options for Corbitt, so it's time for the shotguns!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He was absolutely going to grab the coast guard lawyer with the BAR if he'd gotten a turn and tell him to shoot everyone else. They're lucky as hell they got him round 1. That Dominate spell is mean.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Good old Daoloth the giant-rear end weird clock that's so complicated you go insane from your eyes trying to follow his form.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The bed forever hungers for players to yeet out the window. It is the eternal constant.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Death Bed: The Bed That Yeets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's the one with the terrible opera plot, yes? Because I remember that sanity loss being the absolute silliest sanity loss I've ever seen.

There isn't even a weird fish!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The good old CoC issue of IA PUBLIC DOMAIN FIGURE WE'VE HEARD ABOUT FOR 20 YEARS, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, the study times in CoC have always been too long, it's a known problem.

An experienced GM knows just to handwave the time to something more reasonable, save it for downtime while you're travelling or between adventures, or allow a player to find the crucial piece of information on a 'skim' for something scenario relevant.

Tell your GM the internet says it's fine to do that.

My rulebook is an ancient 5th ed one, but it outright says 'during scenarios, cut down study times to whatever length is necessary to fit the scenario.'