Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Control Group is unlocked.

They added a $300 "everything new in print (if available) and every new PDF" level, and a $350 level that also includes everything old in PDF as well. They should have had these pledge levels from the beginning and just kept everything uncomplicated: Bare bones core book + a few extras, all PDF, all physical + PDF, and the vanity/"play with the pros" levels.

I'm an old fashioned guy, so I will spring for physical books.

I'm betting $300 that these dudes can deliver, and that the concept of conspiracy mythos horror can jump the zeitgeist gap from the '90s to the present day when they pen that poo poo.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Just passed the $260k needed to unlock Deep States. If you were on the fence the $300 level now gets you well over $300 worth of hardbacks, plus all the PDFs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

About to start up a play-by-post Delta Green game on rpg.net.

Since two players are vets I'm going to go off-book.

Idea kernal right now: anti-climate change activists as the ablative pawns/recruit farm for a cult of Ithaqua in small-town Alaska. Got to research a place in Alaska with a nearby native tribe I can use as a red herrirng.

Point of contact for the agents is when a National Weather Service researcher investigating anomalous "cold spots" falls out of the sky, nude and in late-stage frostbite; discovered by a local hunter.

If this triggers any cool setpiece/story/character ideas for anyone, lemmie know.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It had a strong White Wolf vibe and felt out of place, so I'm glad to see it go.

Not what I'd have preferred but very rare is something from this team I can't mine for at least a few great ideas.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Assuming everything promised eventually delivers, what's the total a-la-carte cost up to on the "all the new hardcovers plus all the new PDFs" $300 level?

It's like 6 $50 and 1 $70 hardcover at this point, plus the assorted PDFs, is that right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What's the "canonical" status of the Karotechia these days? Most of the principles have some species of "immortality," so technically they could be active, but it's also a pretty low hanging, somewhat inept, and comically evil fruit that would be both easy and satisfying to just utterly clown stomp into the mud before the odometer rolled over on the millennium.

And because it's so potentially satisfying to thwart as a palette cleanser between unstoppable alien monster gods, I almost want to keep it around for my campaign despite being so long in the tooth. With the resurgent popularity of neofascist movements in the US and EU in reaction to climate and conflict migration, it could have some willing dupes to put its tendrils in.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

InShaneee posted:

I thought Karotechia got wiped out in the old corebook. I know there were suggestions for keeping them alive indefinitely, but I thought "canon" was that DG raided their compound in South America and got all three of their top guys.

I don't have it open in front of me but while they basically suggest it as an EZ-Mode punching bag for the players to run roughshod over, they don't introduce it then declare it kaput right in the first DG book. Plus the followup Countdown features a scenario where a fairly substantial active interest on US soil is exposed and they put up some pretty stiff resistance to shutting it down, including sending their invincible ubermench commando guy.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 28, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Really depends on what you're after, how much you value physical vs. electronic format.

It doesn't really seem to be a Reaper Bones "You'd be an idiot not to" type bargain bonanza.

I will say that limited run Delta Green hardcovers seem to command a serious mark-up on the secondary market.

You're not going to pay off your mortgage but I'd suspect if you get the $300 bundle and keep them in decent shape you'll probably have no trouble whatsoever flipping any unwanted ones for at least cover.

This post is for information and illustrative purposes only and does not purport to show actual results. It is not, and should not be regarded as investment advice or as a recommendation regarding any particular security or course of action. Opinions expressed herein are current opinions as of the date appearing in this material only and are subject to change without notice. Reasonable people may disagree about the opinions expressed herein. In the event any of the assumptions used herein do not prove to be true, results are likely to vary substantially. All investments entail risks. There is no guarantee that investment strategies will achieve the desired results under all market conditions and each investor should evaluate its ability to invest for a long term especially during periods of a market downturn. No representation is being made that any account, product, or strategy will or is likely to achieve profits, losses, or results similar to those discussed, if any.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

I can't remember exactly where, but I'm sure that it's been stated that the Karotechia is gone. Reinhard Galt and Gunther Frank are immortal, but Olaf Bitterich is not and he'd be 114 now. (Delta Green's original release in 1996 hit a strangely sweet spot of being both after the end of the Cold War, yet still within living memory of WWII. It allowed all these secret organizations to have single unbroken links back to their births in WWII.)

Re-reading the section in the core book it does seem wildly implausible that they would be around resembling anything like what they do now.

Here's how I see it shaking out:

Bitterich would be implausibly old, and with two "immortal" guys in the triumverate already it feels a little cheap to add a third. I don't see Frank sharing his secret, and certainly not Galt. Technically one of the 12 Bischofe could raise him, but given the way the spell works as an existential gun-to-the-head I can see said Bischofe seizing power from him and the resulting power struggle wrecking the inner circle, and even under threat of mis-reanimation he's going to be reluctant to give up the secret of contacting "The Fuhrer."

Frank's style of immortality is so fragile it's a wonder he's lasted as long as he did. You practically just have to crack a window. Once DG finds out about La Estancia, he's toast.

Galt is the most likely to survive, because he seems to be the least ideologically motivated, given his opportunistic fratricide and wanton "miscegenation." Sure he looks like the Aryan template from the old posters, but once Bitterich and his ability to summon "The Furher" are gone nothing is really cowing him into The Cause. He's reasonably hard (but not impossible) to kill, still has unnaturally youthful vigor, and is pretty resourceful and capable. I see him being the most likely to survive a DG action, escape the gravity of the other two and go off to be a boogieman that pursues his own self-interest as a mercenary or assassin for hire.

So sometime within or shortly after the turn of the millennium, DG puts the pieces together and pulls together a massive hammer strike against its old enemy, maybe under the guise of a multinational drug plantation raid. Bitterich if he hasn't died of natural causes yet, he's toast at this point. Frank goes to Melt Disney World when they breach the his little sealed habitat. Galt sees which way the wind is blowing and beats a retreat into the jungle (or maybe he's out on an errand and gets the news and decides to steer clear), and goes to ground.

The Pawns and Knights in cells abroad, absent central leadership, keep doing neofacist thug stuff without any real coordination.

The Bishops are probably decimated, though a few out on errands may survive. They have some mythos knowledge that can cause trouble, but no life-extension, and they ranged from their 40's to 60's in 1997, so the oldest among them are either dead or infirm, and the youngest are well past their prime.

Since they are such a fun, pulpy, guilt-free villain to dunk on, I do like the idea of letting the agents chase down the last dying spasms from this death blow

So you've got a cannibal commando, probably just doing stringer work to keep himself in the style he's accustomed to. His mean streak and eating habits probably don't earn him any close friends, and while I can see him commanding a gang of mercs, I don't see them being particularly motivated beyond the payday. Or maybe he returns prodigal son style to the Anziques to lay low for a while before emerging on the stage, but I don't see that being his ultimate "retirement." He may occasionally throw his weight around with unaffilliated former Knights and Pawns, who continue to hold him as a figure of awe, but he doesn't have the vision or charisma to do much beyond throw them at some immediate goal.

I don't see him as a lasting Mythos-type threat: He seems satisfied with knowing how to eat people to live forever and having a magic anti-bullet ring, and doesn't actively seek out more than that. Which is actually pretty smart from a mythos perspective, he's got a good deal going on and oughtn't push his luck.

He's a Monster of the Week kind of gimmie, a loose end that Delta Green wants to wrap up for the satisfaction of final closure on their oldest foe, but he's not out trying to start a Fifth Reich or summon Dread Azathoth.

I can also see making some hay out of a septuagenarian wizard former Bishop setting up shop with a larger neofascist movement, wowing them with his Aryan Nazi Magic, and trying to become the new Bitterich. When leadership gets confirmation of the threat, the players might be suprised at the resources that go into swatting down one of the few rats that got off such a hated ship.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 29, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It probably is more satisfying for the scenario hook to be "He's trying to reanimate Hitler at a secret base in Antarctica!" or something rather than "Yeah, he's just kind of laying low and doing his thing, not really bothering anybody... except for the eating people part and the occasional assassination-for-hire."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

e: f, b

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 4, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"That's like... a dollar an hour."

These sorts of things you do because you love and want to grow the community, but it would probably be better to just do exclusive little swag items like exclusive pins or dice, directly "paying" in a tiny pittance of credit just makes it feel insulting.

But it's cool to have an organized play aparatus for a game one likes to keep it healthy and played, so they can always refine the specifics.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hope after giving them :20bux: X 15 the Delta Green folks deliver.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Are they going to be shipping the screen/quickstart to backers soon?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Latest update is that the screen and Agent's Handbook will be ready in July for physical delivery. I'm old school enough not to really be into "paging through" a PDF to actually read it cover to cover.

Probably gonna be a while before I get my big tome of secrets in the form of the Case Officer's book. :smith:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for the heads up! I paid what I wanted and got Tales from Failed Anatomies to throw on my kindle. What I wanted was probably not a lot, admittedly, but I gotta pay to get into a new apartment soon. I will salve my miserly conscience with the huge contribution to the recent TTG Kickstarter.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

neaden posted:

Has anyone had a chance to run DG with the Agent's Handbook yet and give an impression? I refrained from backing and wanted to wait for reviews since I already have quite a few cthulhu-based rpgs. Is the system good enough to be worth purchasing over just running the fluff with something else?

IMO yes. Having rules to reflect the strain that crumbles an agent's personal life as he clings to it to preserve sanity alone is pretty inspired.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

God's Teeth is some of the most atmospheric Call of Cthulhu you'll ever get to listen to. It's a slow burn that builds to a deafening crescendo of tension by the time you get to God's Eye.

The main Agent sounds passingly like H. Jon Benjamin, so... I'm going in to this expecting it to end in a raaampaaaage!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Delta Green corebooks and keeper screens have arrived on the Slow Boat and should be shipped by the end of July. I'm stoked. Still old school enough to like physical books.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I have been checking eagerly every day. No book/screen yet.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Agent's Handbook and Need to Know arrived today. Flipping through the quality on both looks pretty nice.

As an added bonus, it seems like some secret benefactor backed this as a gift for me, since I got two packages. I know just who to pay it forward to, as well.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A little theatricality can help if done right.

I once had someone full on freak out at one of my games. I was describing a remembered mi go abduction experience with the lights dimmed in the living room, relating how claw like appendages were in her hair, a whirring sound and pressure against her forehead then I turned on an electric razor pressed it against a wooden shelf and let it reverberate into the hardwood floor and up into the furniture. They still talk about that one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Man I'm feeling a little teased by the delay between the player and GM books dropping for DG, since I was holding off for the Case Officer's guide to start up a campaign in earnest.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What would be good as Hell would be the book, IMO.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What's the study time and san loss?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Plot hook idea: DG sees the influence of the mythos at the highest level of authority but after careful investigation its not hastur's touch just early onset dementia and decades of cocaine abuse.

I admit back when I ponied up three hundo for everything I was hoping for a tighter timetable, but sounds like this book will be worth the wait.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Agent Napoleon's standard approach of "gently caress it, this is an insoluble, completely messed-up-rear end problem, blow it up/burn it down" was not "half-assed," it was thorough. :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I gave Music From A Darkened Room's scenario a fair shake before I was like "gently caress this creepy-rear end mirror house. I call the EOD guy I know from the marines to pull it and make it look like a gas leak."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PST posted:

Enjoy the news that the building is being rebuilt in six months time...

And then the news 12 months later

Yeah that wasn't the best epilogue but what are you gonna do? You salt the earth as well as you can and hope for the best.

E: That scene in event horizon where cowboy curtis says "gently caress this ship. I am going to maneuver to stand off distance and launch tac missiles at her until I am satisfied she's destroyed?"

that would be my DG guy, in space.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 29, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Some monsters are just straight up going to kill you if you fight them.

I can't find it I think it might be lost to the Old Internet but back in the day there was a proto-meme about the "Delta Green shooting positions."

They included the usual prone, prone braced, standing, kneeling, etc, and also "fleeing at a sprint shooting over your shoulder" and "firing panicked into the air."

The last one in the illustration was, of course, the ol' Bud Dwyer.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I can't even tell what's supposed to be wrong with it at a glance.

Can't wait to get that handsome two-volume slipcase in my hands.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Personally, I'd make it possible but very difficult to get to her "in time,; that way you're actually driving home the helplessness, because the players can know on a metagame level that they screwed up.

MISTER POLICE
YOU COULD HAVE SAVED HER
I GAVE YOU ALL THE CLUES

If you're dead set on starting the timeline so it's impossible to save her, I'd give them some other clear "win."

(IE: They find a cache of photos on his laptop where he's been surveiling young women who fit the same profile, to snatch for future rituals-- implying that you preventing the horror from repeating itself over and over.)

Don't mistake helplessness and isolation for futility. Yes in the face of the mythos all of human endeavor amounts to dust-- but drive that home too hard and what's the point of playing?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

There's a delta green scenario they just released Reverberations which is a sequel to one from Delta Green Countdown

That's the one where the Tcho tcho are selling a TIME DRUG, right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I am making a DG guy and I think I want to go the most "normie with the most to lose" route. 30 y/o Fed on a nice career trajectory with a nice northern va home good domestic life with two kids member of the local fraternal order, no serious vices, yadda yadda.

What's a good background that would get him into The Program where he had contact with something just overtly supernatural enough to blood him in, but seemingly babytown frolics so he wrongly assumes the Mythos is like Goosebumps level paranormal japery?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 10, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm not sure Special Agent Dan Smith would like Cohen Brothers movies. They are "too weird" for him. He likes war movies (as long as they don't try to be too high-concept artsy-fartsy), a good action flick, and anything he can take the whole family to. He's insufferable if you watch any movie about police work or feds with him, as he will "Well actually" every bit of dramatic licence to explain proper procedure.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Algorithmic pricing engines going haywire on niche/short print run poo poo. No one is actually paying that (probably.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Really solid collection of Delta Green scenarios avail for preorder https://shop.arcdream.com/products/...campaign=buffer

Nothing "new" but a good way to get some PDF ones in a nice print version.

Observer Effect is one of my favorites, Music from a Darkened Room is a classic horror scenario and the others I'm not familiar with.

My guy convinced the cell to try to solve Music From a Darkened Room with explosives. :smith:

I'm trying not to be a dumb rear end in a top hat and be all "Why are they making and selling these other books while I'm still waiting for the Endless Bounty of Books I was promised when I dropped three C-notes on the kickstarter two years ago?" and it's hard not to, even though I know it's probably unfair.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm a old person who doesn't like staring at a screen to read, and losing my mind waiting for a return on my $300 for real, physical books pledge though. Sounds like this Spring might net me Fall and the GM guide, finally.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sounds like Delta Green by way of the Cohen brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kavak posted:

To pivot to a topic that will make the thread look less like a classified document, how do you reconcile running the Cthulhu Mythos in a world where popular culture has been greatly shaped by its fictional depictions? Ignore it? Work around it? Is it all a psy-op designed to strengthen humanity's mental defenses?

I take the less-trod but also less meta-fictiony tack of "Our world but Lovecraftian fiction doesn't exist as such." There is still horror fiction, but there was not a brand of weird cosmic horror in the early 20th century by a man named Lovecraft and his contemporaries that referenced the same monsters and entities the Agents are facing.

I have, in the past, winkingly inserted Sutter Cain as a contemporary author of cosmic horror in that vein who may be working from more than just his imagination.