Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's weird, but I hope Sans-Detour gets the french license for this. Normally I prefer buying my RPGs in english, as translations are usually terrible and also more costly because despite Quebec being a french-speaking province, we have to import all our french books from France so they all cost 10$+ more. But Sans-Detour's french edition of Call of Cthulhu is loving amazing. Everything from the art to the design to simply the paper quality feels great. Look at this: http://sans-detour.com/index.php/L-Appel-de-Cthulhu/work-in-progress-terreur-sur-lorient-express.html
These are the seriously the first time I thought paying more for the French version was worth it. I got all the Delta Green books from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The french edition of Call of Cthulhu is superior to the english one in every way, which is super weird because that's rarely, if ever, the case with translated RPGs. I remember the old WoD books having horrendous translations, with Disciplines changing names betwen books and msitakes everywhere, as well as falling apart after a year or two.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If you know french, get the french edition of call of cthulhu. Here'S what the upcoming 7th edition looks like:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

HerraS posted:

If I wanted to run a campaign set in a mixture of Stross' Colder War and Powers' Declare, so basically 1980s Cold War but Cthulhu creepies are real, what game you recommend I use as the baseline? CoC, Delta Green, The Laundry?

Definitely Delta Green, probably Fall of Delta Green although ti'S 60s Cold War instead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sionak posted:

Delta Green pretty clearly has a lot of critiques of the military intelligence complex. In the new edition, many of the scenarios involve cleaning up mistakes made and covered up by Delta Green and their affiliates.

This is not a game that presents its protagonists as always in the right and one of the recurring themes is, "was this worth what it cost?"

In terms of the authors, they responded to someone on twitter pointing out that their game is about fictional law enforcement agents by matching donations to a bail fund last week.

But by all means, reductively meme on.

That's cool, because I heard some things about Kenneth Hite and his politics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Vengarr posted:

How long has Arkham Horror 2e been out of print? It’s amazing to me how expensive the expansions are online. I should have picked up a few of the small-box ones when I had the chance.

I got most of them in french back in the day. I got the core game for cheap used, but since it was in french I had to get the expansions in french too or it would clash. So I think it ended up costing me mroe overall.

It's weird how despite iving in Montreal, if we want our gaming stuff in french we need to import from France so it's more expensive than jsut buyign the english versions. Even for games that where originally in french like Qin.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Were the expansions worth it? I got AA and Dunwich back in the day and only found a group to play them with recently. Adding more mechanics to a game this complicated doesn’t seem like a positive.

I love Arkham Horror, making me a bad judge of this.

I had a lot of fun with the Kingsport and Lurker at the Threshold expansions. The rest I feel like I didn't get to try much, either too diluted when playing everything at once or just bad luck.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I forgot I had pre-ordered the Impossible Landscapes Delta Green campaign and it arrived in the mail this week. The book looks amazing, and reading it gives me chills.

Things is, I don't have the new Delta Green rpg, just the old CoC stuff XD.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I’m gonna get new DG one of these days, just couldn’t find the two books together anywhere.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Raidou Kuzunoha and the Necronomicon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Only nu!DG book I have is Impossible Landscape and it owns.

Wait no I also have Fall of Delta Green.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got four of the Delta Green fiction books, since I only had Rules fo Engagement and Dark Theatres from when I wound them used for 2 bucks each a decade ago.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I still love the short story about not-Kurt Cobain channeling the Yellow King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got Alone Against the Static, but it seems my printer is dying so I'm having trouble printing the log sheet and character sheet.