Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm actually playtesting the rules for 'Elder Godlike', which integrates Lovecraftian fueled super-powers based on the old 'Godlike' RPG into the Cthulhu rules. It'll be a supplement, so it plays with the current COC and Action Cthulhu rules, not sure how it'll intergrate with 7th Edition. I can's say much about it, because y'know 'Confidentiality' etc. I can say however, that it seems pretty good so far, it's not quite ready for primetime, but of course that's why it's being playtested. Strong potential however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

moths posted:

Yeah you really need to flush that poo poo person from your life, or at least your gaming table.

Know who's played Beyond the Mountains of Madness? Nobody. It's a mammoth out-of-print (until recently?) book that was nearly impossible to find and prohibitively expensive when you could. It's also an extended campaign for a game with a high bodycount, which is about as good an idea as it sounds.

I was actually going to run this back in the day, spent what was to me at the time a small fortune on the book. Read it and realised there is no way in hell i was ever going to run this.

It's got a great setup and wonderful ideas, fantastic detail about the Antartic and it's exploration, but it's a terrible scenario.

It takes half the adventure to get to the ice, and that first half is just tedious. There's stuff like you have to roleplay gathering the expeditions supplies and checking (there's handouts) everything is where it should be.

When you get to the ice, there's about 50 NPC's whose names you're supposed to remember.

There's a rival german expediton, which are introduced but almost nothing is done with. It's a plot point that the leader of the expedition is anti-Nazi. Come on. How badly do you have to drop the ball to have a 1930's German expedition turn up and not have them fanatical Nazi's personally sent by Himmler to look for the entrance to the Hollow Earth (or something similar).

It's biggest problem however is it's incredibly railroady. Every chapter is full of timetables and fixed events. It's like the authors actually wanted to write a novel, but got stuck with having to create a supplement instead.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 14, 2014

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Sometimes the best tool for dealing with alien evil is a stick of dynamite.
Source: The Thing

Whenever we play Cthulhu it inevitably becomes Hellboy Cthulhu and that's the way we like it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah the study times have always been nonsense.

Just replace weeks with days, or even hours, or whatever the hell feels appropriate.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Speaking of Cthulhu Superheros, reminded me of this classic Rpgnet thread.

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/necro-mythos-supers-oh-what-may-be-wrought-with-this-hideous-might.398547/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

This is basically where the BPRD comic series ended up and it was loving amazing.

Charles Strosses Laundry File books go there as well.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

Found this. The Bed has claimed another victim :ghost:

Oh sweet. That's the guy who did all the "Classic D&D module walkthroughs". I didn't know he was doing new stuff. Does he ahve a website?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Pulp for life

To give one acutal play example. If you're not tommy gunning Lloigors in the Dreamlands while the ghost of the Great Fire of London is raging around you what are you even doing?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, the study times in CoC have always been too long, it's a known problem.

An experienced GM knows just to handwave the time to something more reasonable, save it for downtime while you're travelling or between adventures, or allow a player to find the crucial piece of information on a 'skim' for something scenario relevant.

Tell your GM the internet says it's fine to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've not played/ran Trails, but I've played Nights Black Agents which is also Gumshoe system, and it worked pretty well for that.