Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I remember being really curious about Call of Cthulhu when I was a young nerd, but growing up in a small town that had only one local book store meant that I never got to experience the game first hand. Around the time that 3.X was in its prime, WotC released a d20 version of CoC and for some reason my local book store actually got a couple copies! I was super excited and I couldn't wait to terrorize my friends with a really creepy adventure.

Unfortunately, the d20 version was probably the worst version that I could have used to try and transition my friends from D&D to CoC. The core mechanics were all the same so it seemed like everything would work out nicely, but my friends could not make the mental transition from being D&D world renowned heroes, who poo poo lighting bolts and fell dragons with their eyes closed, to playing fragile human investigators who are at odds with forces infinitely beyond their comprehension. I remember a few of my friends complaining that the "offensive" option only had the Rogue's BAB progression and how bullshit that was, or that spell casting had mostly terrible effects and it was so dumb that almost all the spells had some kind of drawback, etc. They all hated having to track sanity and had no interest in solving mysteries or doing anything other than going in guns blazing 100% of the time.

I don't think that the d20 version of CoC was bad in and of itself (outside of the usual problems with the d20 system) but I always wondered if my old high school chums might have gotten into CoC better if we had used an entirely different system that didn't allow them to import their preconceived expectations regarding how the game "should" work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU