Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I guess I'll start us off with a question: me and my friends love Arkham Horror, but we've gotten really good at it and thus the threat of the Ancient One awakening is less of a threat and more "bonus round for laughs after sealing 6 gates." Can someone make a recommendation for an expansion to get that would make things more challenging without just making things straight-up harder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JDCorley posted:

The point I was trying to make is that Lovecraft's actual stories have lots of ill thought out action in it, and an ill thought out action game fits that a lot better than ultra-fragile CoC. A submarine torpedoed an underwater city and Treasury agents machine gunned a town full of monsters and a dude crashed a boat into Cthulhu and beat Cthulhu by doing so. These are all things that happened in Lovecraft stories that d20 fits just fine.
But that's really the problem with d20 in general: The best you can do is having something fit "fine". Nothing ever fits "well" or "perfectly" or is presented in an interesting fashion, it's just "good enough" or "serviceable". I mean sure, all of those things listed are things that Lovecraft had happen in his stories, and they are things that can be resolved by the d20 system. But those don't make d20 a good system for the style of game that CoC is, in part because d20 is a mediocre system in the best of times and partially because those events are the exception that proves the rule; they're notable because they're infrequent, both in their scale and their successfulness. A typical band of PCs can't call in torpedo strikes or a task force of federal agents with high-powered artillery - such events are extreme outliers, not the basis of the game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

you get toys like the Necronomiphone (a jailbroken iPhone that can cast spells)
I want to play this SO HARD right now.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

This is going to sound absolutely out of left field and possibly quite insane (how fitting), but has anyone tried to combine wuxia-esque martial arts stories (think along the lines of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Of things like wandering swordsmen of impeccable justice and righteousness and martial artists with Secret Ancient Forbidden Techniques) and the Cthulhu mythos?
You could do Legends of the Wulin, and just make the various mythos creatures into ranked fighters. You'd likely have to give them much more powerful "kung fu styles" to model their potency for the really mean things.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CobiWann posted:

So...political groups are a cult? Churches are a cult? Domino's Pizza is a cult?

Welp, it was a nice run. Going to go set up my shrine to the King in Yellow now.
Pretty sure domino's is legally obligated to bring a pizza to my door if I give them money for it. And yes, all churches are cults, we just don't call them that after enough time/big enough headcount.